The Q&A Archives: chisel stone

Question: We have purchased some stone whit an edge on the back that would appear to me in order to stack them in a flower bed wall would have to be chiseled off. I was told we were not supposed to but for the life of me I don't see any other way. How do you stack stone (not a paver), I am assuming with some type of mortar between them w/out chiseling off the ridge located on the back flat side of stone?

Answer: I can't tell without looking at the stones but they sound like interlocking landscape stones. I'm not sure you can remove the edge on the back without cracking the stones themselves. Since I don't know for sure which stones you have, it might just be easiest to go to your local garden center, find the same stones, and ask the staff how best to build a wall with them. Wish I could be of more assistance.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Lilium 'Pink Perfection'"