Page 1 of 885 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 885

By ScotTi on Apr 27, 2017 12:44 PM, concerning plant: Bromeliad (Aechmea chantinii 'Little Harv')

Aechmea 'Little Harv' - A Bullis Hybrid cross of (chantinii x rubens) with varying coloring from a bluish-green to silver to a bronzy red depending on sun exposure. 'Little Harv' can reach a height of 3' (4' with flower stalk) with a 20" spread.

By robertduval14 on Apr 26, 2017 6:24 PM, concerning plant: Marijuana (Cannabis 'Holland's Hope')

One of the first cannabis varieties designed for tough outdoor conditions. In this case it was bred specifically for Holland's often cool and wet summers.

By farmerdill on Apr 26, 2017 6:05 PM, concerning plant: Collard (Brassica oleracea 'Yellow Cabbage Collard')

An unusual cabbage collard. very loose head compared to the green cabbage collard. Yellow green rather than the standard dark green. Much more tender and better flavor. An outstanding collard.

By ShakespearesGarden on Apr 26, 2017 6:52 AM, concerning plant: Standard Dwarf Bearded Iris (Iris 'Ocean Pearl')

Planted in summer of 2016. Two blooms open 04-25-2017.

By ShakespearesGarden on Apr 26, 2017 6:51 AM, concerning plant: Standard Dwarf Bearded Iris (Iris 'Ocean Pearl')

Planted in summer of 2016. Two blooms open 04-25-2017.

By farmerdill on Apr 25, 2017 5:05 PM, concerning plant: Collards (Brassica oleracea 'Cabbage Collards')

As the name implies, this is a heading collard. The heads are loose, but have the appearance of a cabbage head. They head best when temps are in high 20's low thirties. Easy to grow in zone 8 or higher. Transplant in September-October. In my opinion much superior flavor to the Georgia types.

By eclayne on Apr 25, 2017 1:45 PM, concerning plant: Boreal Yarrow (Achillea borealis)

Occurs in the Russian far east.

By eclayne on Apr 25, 2017 1:42 PM, concerning plant: Boreal Yarrow (Achillea millefolium var. borealis)

Occurs in northern North America and Greenland.

By djkkruschk on Apr 23, 2017 8:13 AM, concerning plant: Waterlily Tulip (Tulipa kaufmanniana 'Corona')

Beautiful Tulip! I would really like to buy some bulbs for these, But I live in zone 5, would they
still grow here for me? can I leave them in the ground over winter? and ok 1 more question,,,
where would I buy them? Thank you
Karen

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By mjsponies on Apr 22, 2017 8:19 PM, concerning plant: Dischidia dohtii

There are 2 forms of this Dischidia.
1 from Laos, which has very fine hairs on surface of the leaf,and 1 from the Philippines, which is smooth. Both produce tiny white Urn shaped blooms.

By Sheridragonfly on Apr 22, 2017 3:41 PM, concerning plant: Butterfly Bush (Buddleja Buzz™ Sky Blue)

Large full blooms on a dwarf size butterfly bush....
Each time I see the color of this beautiful bloom it reminds me
of the beautiful blue sky I see at least 300 days out of each year
at my home!

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By valleylynn on Apr 22, 2017 2:31 PM, concerning plant: Hen and Chicks (Sempervivum 'Pluto')

I am wondering if we have two different semps entered for 'Pluto'?

@JungleShadows
Kevin, do you have a written description for 'Pluto'?

By ScotTi on Apr 22, 2017 8:33 AM, concerning plant: Croton (Codiaeum variegatum 'Sloppy Painter')

This plant is known only as 'Eleanor Roosevelt' by Croton collectors and the 'Sloppy Painter' name is frowned on. The 'Sloppy Painter' name was stuck on this plant by nursery tradesmen at a later time. This Croton is a hybrid by Henry Coppinger . 'Eleanor Roosevelt', 'Franklin Roosevelt', 'Johanna Coppinger', 'Golden Glow' and 'Miami Beauty' all came from the same seed cluster.

By lauribob on Apr 20, 2017 4:30 PM, concerning plant: Aster (Symphyotrichum lateriflorum 'Lady in Black')

This plant has striking dark purplish foliage, which provides interest from spring until the masses of flowers appear in late summer. It does best in full sun but will tolerate a bit of shade. Native to North America.

By lauribob on Apr 20, 2017 4:17 PM, concerning plant: Aster (Symphyotrichum lateriflorum 'Prince')

This is very similar to the cultivar 'Lady in Black' but it is shorter and does not spread as readily. Can be grown in partial or dappled shade, but the foliage will have the best color in full sun.

By lauribob on Apr 20, 2017 10:00 AM, concerning plant: Purple Fountain Grass (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum')

This is often sold in my area with incorrect zone information. I have purchased it twice where the tag said zone 5 or 6. It's an (expensive) annual for me and the zone 9 information here is undoubtedly accurate.

By stilldew on Apr 19, 2017 7:27 PM, concerning plant: Hen and Chicks (Sempervivum 'Waldaline')

Slow to multiply for me.

By beenthere on Apr 19, 2017 4:43 PM, concerning plant: Red October Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii 'Red October')

This is one tough grass! Last July I briefly lost my mind and decided to dig and divide my three 2 year old plants. Hubby was gone golfing, but how hard could it be, right? They were only 2/3 ft tall and 2 ft wide. When Bob got back an hour later, I was groveling on the ground with an assortment of kitchen knives. I had finally levered the first out of the ground, and barely made a dent in that massive root system. Sod forming indeed! He made quick work of it with the reciprocating saw, but had just as much trouble getting the other two out. Got ten divisions out of the three plants and planted them on the rocky slope. They looked like road kill the rest of the year and I was sure I was going to lose some. They are ALL coming up this spring like nothing happened! This is one tough grass! .

By Frillylily on Apr 19, 2017 10:47 AM, concerning plant: Euphorbia (Euphorbia x martini 'Ascot Rainbow')

Died over the winter its second year and did not return. Returned strongly the winter before, so I am inclined to think this is a biannual and only lives 2 years. Does not like wet winter soil, needs well drained soil.

By Frillylily on Apr 19, 2017 10:44 AM, concerning plant: Carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus Oscar™ Clavel Pink)

Unfortunately, this did not overwinter for me and it died despite being in well drained soil.

Page 1 of 885 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 885

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "semper jocundus"