Page 1 of 892 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 892

By Buzzbea424 on Jun 22, 2017 9:46 AM, concerning plant: Crocosmias (Crocosmia)

I've planted crocosmia several times, but it only bloomed the first year. Only one plant is left. This year new corm did not grow. I also bought young plants. They are still alive, but...

By Buzzbea424 on Jun 21, 2017 8:04 PM, concerning plant: Dragon Wing Begonia (Begonia Dragon Wing® Red)

I grow Dragon Wing Begonias in a shade garden rather than in a pot. Although they don't grow as large as reputed to grow in pots, they add a wonderful splash of color to a dark spot. However, I have not found them to be perennial as your information shows. The Arkansas Green Industry Association, and the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service list them as an Arkansas Diamond, that is an annual proven tough enough to survive growing conditions in Arkansas.

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By Deebie on Jun 21, 2017 9:10 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Strawberry Fields Forever')

This is a very reliable and floriferous plant. It is one of the 1st daylilies I planted in my garden. It blooms early in the season and is a cheery spot in the flower border. I'll always have this one in my garden beds.

By sandnsea2 on Jun 21, 2017 8:49 AM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Mathilda')

This is a wonderful , compact, long blooming rose. It is a workhorse in my garden. I purchased 4 plants last Fall and they bloomed till frost. The color is a good blender for a mixed garden bed or border. A very useful rose.

By Deebie on Jun 20, 2017 5:02 PM, concerning plant: Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)

Lovely orange flowers much loved by butterflies. This plant is late to appear in spring, so be sure not to weed it out of your garden by mistake or plant something else in its place.

By Deebie on Jun 20, 2017 4:58 PM, concerning plant: Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema commutatum)

This clump forming plant has green spear shaped leaves with silvery bands across it. It produces an uninteresting white spathe which may be followed by red berries. It is one of the easiest houseplants to grow, as it is a low light plant. If placed outdoors for the summer, avoid direct sun.

By satxjoe on Jun 20, 2017 12:36 PM, concerning plant: Indian Fig (Opuntia ficus-indica)

Opuntia aciculata is separate from O. strigil, O. engelmannii, or O. lindheimeri, though it has been conflated with these species. A long-spined form was invalidly named O. strigil flexospina, but it is really just a minor spine variant of O. aciculata. Plants may reach 3 1/2-ft tall and spread to over 4- to 6-ft across, but they are often smaller.

By Frillylily on Jun 20, 2017 10:29 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Siloam Merle Kent')

This has a high bud count for me and the first bloom this year was June 19, it increases quickly.

By Deebie on Jun 20, 2017 7:43 AM, concerning plant: Lipstick Plant (Aeschynanthus micranthus)

This is a lovely plant for the home and is easy to maintain. It has small variegated leaves and red blooms. It benefits greatly from being placed outdoors for the summer months. Be sure to cut the leaves back after blooming to maintain its neat size and appearance.

By Australis on Jun 20, 2017 5:14 AM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium Beaut Bisque 'NH')

This clone is a known 4N and one of New Horizon Orchids' breeding plants.

By Australis on Jun 19, 2017 11:38 PM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium Amok in Kent 'Elusive')

This particular clone is the result of Cym. Ruby Eyes X Cym. Red Sox, rather than the registered inverse.

By Australis on Jun 19, 2017 10:18 PM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium Winter Fair 'Nancy')

This is a known tetraploid and New Horizon Orchids has used it for many (if not all) of their Winter Fair crosses.

By csandt on Jun 19, 2017 2:13 PM, concerning plant: Forest Cabbage Tree (Cordyline banksii Electric Pink™)

This cultivar performed very poorly for me and eventually died.

I purchased three plants in late winter, 2017, and maintained them as house plants until spring. My goal was to use them as spikes (thrillers) in outdoor pots once spring arrived. By spring, two plants were dead, and the third appeared viable but not robust, so I planted that one in a pot with a Coleus, Petrosedum rupestre subsp. Rupestre 'Angelina' and New Guinea Impatiens (Impatiens hawkerii 'Tamarinda Purple Bicolor'). The Cordyline banksii Electric Pink then died as the two other plants of this cultivar had done. The other plants in the pot are doing fine.

By Tiogar on Jun 19, 2017 11:28 AM, concerning plant: Zigzag Spiderwort (Tradescantia subaspera)

This is one of the best native plant species I have ever grown. Tradescantia subaspera grows well whether it has recently been transplanted, or it has been in the same place for years. I have not yet seen it perform well in the wild. However; in my garden I have seen it thrive in every spot I have planted it. This spiderwort transplants and becomes established very quickly and easily. It's not picky about moisture, but it does seem to prefer a mostly shaded position with a few hours of direct morning sun. It will bloom for months: from late spring to early fall. It's not invasive but if allowed to self sow, a few seedlings may pop up over the years. Tradescantia subaspera multiplies quickly to form a magnificent clump, once it has grown to a certain size it stops spreading and will bloom happily for years without the need of division. This plant is handsome whether in bloom or not, the dark fuzzy leaves and stalks somewhat resemble that of corn, and add interest to the garden throughout the growing season. The only problem I have ever had with the plant is that it can flop over in strong high winds.

By poisondartfrog on Jun 19, 2017 6:35 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum Barry's Crazy Cherry)

Large oval cherries in big trusses, quite sweet but with a background of real tomato flavor and tartness.

By Australis on Jun 18, 2017 11:57 PM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium)

Cymbidium orchids are one of the more popular Orchid genera. They are quite often used for cut flowers, although some species and their hybrids do not cut well (i.e. Red Column Cymbidium (Cymbidium erythrostylum)).

Most hybrids are cool-growing and flower from late Autumn/Fall through Spring. Newer heat-tolerant hybrids are extending this range and it is expected that it will be possible to have Cyms in flower at all times of the year in the not-too-distance future.

Many species are epiphytic, although some (such as Orchid (Cymbidium insigne subsp. seidenfadenii)) are terrestrial. These can typically still be grown in a mix suitable for epiphytic Cyms.

By Australis on Jun 18, 2017 8:11 PM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium erythrostylum 'Tikitere')

This particular clone is a known tetraploid (4N) and was produced by New Horizon Orchids.

By DogsNDaylilies on Jun 18, 2017 9:30 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Cyberhawk')

This plant is very new to me, but already it is showing signs of weakness. We live in a high-wind area, but it has only been moderately windy today and half of the petals have blown off. I'd be curious to know what others have experienced, but so far I don't think this plant holds up well to wind. (Which is a shame, it is gorgeous and has nice, giant blooms...which may be the contributing factor to its weakness.)

By Lioba on Jun 18, 2017 8:51 AM, concerning plant: Barberries (Berberis)

Barberry has been banned for sale in New York State. It is considered invasive. In my opinion, since I am writing among friends, that is bulldinky! Yes, when the plant is stressed it will send out seeds by the multitudes. What plant wouldn't? But under healthy conditions, it doesn't, as has been my experience. I think someone didn't like this plant.

Honestly, when I moved into my home and inherited a hedge of them, I wasn't sure what to think. I don't like the thorns, but I do love that they provide food for wildlife when none is to be had because the berries hang on. They give protection to animals. I respect the barberry bushes. I love the color variations.

Mine get abused because they are so close to the road. I do trim them back and clear underneath occasionally, getting the dead wood out. They tolerate a lot.

They surely do give the message KEEP OUT!

[ Give a thumbs up | 2 replies ]

By Lioba on Jun 17, 2017 9:40 AM, concerning plant: Black Raspberry (Rubus occidentalis)

The thimbleberry and the black raspberry are 2 different plants, although the berries both "cap". Thimbleberries are ‘Purple Flowering Raspberry’ Rubus Parviflorus. They are edible but aren't that great. Black raspberries are Rubus occidentalis. These 2 should be separated as well as their photos.

Page 1 of 892 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 892

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Painted ladies love Eriogonum!"