Page 1 of 897 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 897

By Australis on Jul 24, 2017 6:48 AM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium stewartianum)

Photos of this rare species can be found on the Trillium Facebook page.

By Australis on Jul 24, 2017 4:25 AM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium Mellow Orange 'Bay Breeze')

This particular plant is a known tetraploid and was one of NHO's breeding plants. Andy comments that it can bloom twice a year under the right conditions.

By TheWitchBoy on Jul 23, 2017 9:25 PM, concerning plant: Cape Ivy (Delairea odorata)

Delairea odorata, possibly better known as Cape Ivy, is one of two trailing plants that give my green thumb grandmother a hard time. Since I've had D. odorata in my care, I've noticed that it likes a bit more water than many of my similarly-sized plants.

My research indicates that D. odorata "prefers to grow in wetter temperate regions, but will also occasionally be found in cooler sub-tropical environments" ( https://keyserver.lucidcentral... - Weeds of Australia, 2016), which is most aptly summed up by the quote provided, but is supported by both my observations and additional research I have done. Delairea odorata is, perhaps, more inclined to moist habitats than many other "ivy" plants.

I like to water relatively often and spritz the leaves of D. odorata between waterings. So far, my plants have been thriving under these conditions, and my grandmother's ailing cape ivy specimen has come back from the brink under similar care.

By DogsNDaylilies on Jul 23, 2017 4:44 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'American Freedom')

After about 20 blooms, I feel I can say that this plant always seems to have an awkward petal that is larger or smaller than the other two. Not to any great extent, but just enough to affect the symmetry of the bloom so that it looks "off."

By taylordaylily on Jul 23, 2017 11:45 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Siloam Peony Display')

Siloam Peony Display produces seeds that are white when mature. I've never got a black seed from this cultivar. The white seeds are viable. I've had a high germination percentage with SPD seeds, most sprout quickly with, or without cold stratification.
I've had 6 seedlings of Siloam Peony Display x Bear Claws bloom this year. All 6 seedlings look identical to SPD, this is the first year for them to bloom. The seedlings were planted winter of 2015, and planted outside Spring of 2016, and bloomed July 8 - 13 2017 , the same time frame SPD was in bloom in my garden.

I have 2 other crosses with SPD as the pod parent, but different pollen parents. I hope to see blooms next year from both of these crosses,, will update with results in 2018.

By pirl on Jul 23, 2017 10:51 AM, concerning plant: Stonecrop (Sedum sexangulare 'Golddigger')

Has always been quick to spread in our gardens. Helps keep out the weeds.

By DogsNDaylilies on Jul 22, 2017 6:00 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Madly Red')

In my garden, this daylily always has broken color on it. If it weren't SO PRETTY, I would seriously consider tossing it.... But it is impressive, blotchiness and all.

By Yardenman on Jul 22, 2017 10:47 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Garden Treasure')

I have been growing tomatoes here for 30 years. I have grown Garden Treasure (as I have Garden Gem) from the University of Florida here in Maryland for 2 years. I have grown it among heirlooms and the hybrids Big Beef and Celebrity. So it hasn't been in strange places or where other tomatoes didn't grow well.

For me, it's a dud. It tends to be a bit mealy and tasteless. And I wanted it to be a success. It is disease-resistant and moderately productive. And it isn't fair to compare it to an heirloom so I won't. But My Big Beef are better-tasting and Celebrity at least as good and both more productive.

This is nearly identical to my review of Garden Gem, but they are about the same to me.

Sorry, and keep working on it...

By Yardenman on Jul 22, 2017 10:44 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Garden Gem')

I have been growing tomatoes here for 30 years. I have grown Garden Gem from the University of Florida here in Maryland for 2 years. I have grown it among heirlooms and the hybrids Big Beef and Celebrity. So it hasn't been in strange places or where other tomatoes didn't grow well.

Sorry, but keep working on it...

By floota on Jul 22, 2017 8:17 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Victor Victoria')

It needs to be stated that this is registered as doubling only 40% of the time, hence the majority of images will likely show single form or a few double segments.

By Scatterbrain on Jul 22, 2017 1:12 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Star Child')

I grow STAR CHILD in the UK (zone 8a)

It grows very well here and makes the 26inch scapes as registered. Due to the general lack of sunshine in summer in the UK it has a much bluer eye than on most of the pictures of it growing in the US and only occasionally gets the very pale eye. A very beautiful shade of soft grey-pink, looks quite vintage/antique. Slight ruffling with a faint lighter edge on the petals in the UK.

One of my absolute favourites (in fact probably THE favourite) in my whole collection--VERY fertile both ways too, my most used pollen parent in the dips.

By farmerdill on Jul 21, 2017 9:21 AM, concerning plant: Sweet Corn (Zea mays subsp. mays 'Peaches and Cream Mid EH')

A 1967 introduction, this middle aged bi-color is still competitive. A midseason 80 day corn that produces well. I first grew in the 70's when it was the best. Some of the newer Se bi-colors have surpassed it in both flavor and tenderness but it is still quite good.

By floota on Jul 20, 2017 2:20 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Blueberry Cream Cupcake')

The information about who hybridized this has been entered incorrectly into this database. This was bred by Heather Herrington, not her father, Tim.

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By ScotTi on Jul 19, 2017 4:22 PM, concerning plant: Bromeliad (Aechmea nudicaulis 'Xavante')

Aechmea 'Xavante' cv Nudicaulis, was known originally in the trade as nudicaulis 'Rubra'.

By jnbgregg on Jul 19, 2017 9:08 AM, concerning plant: Hydrangea (Hydrangea sikokiana)

"Best suited to the Pacific NW" is a common statement, regarding success rate with the plant. It may do well in other regions (Mid Atlantic, z 7 here) as long as you give it adequate moisture, especially during summer dry spells. If it starts to wilt, water it. Slow growing, loose habit, to 5x5. Will take shade, but is leggy. Nice exfoliating bark in winter. It's seen -2 F here, with no die back.

By csandt on Jul 19, 2017 8:54 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Royal Occasion')

This is an amazing cultivar for its prolific blooms. Six-way branching on strong scapes produces lots of blooms held above the foliage. Blooms are heavy substance.

By Paul2032 on Jul 19, 2017 8:40 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Fantastico')

I am always swayed when I read that a plant has received an award. This was All American in 2014 so it tempted me. My plant was covered with fruit when I bought it. It has stayed small and ripened lots of fruit. Flavor is OK but it has a tough skin which puts me off. Would probably be good in a container in a small garden. I have limited space so may not plant again next year.

By Australis on Jul 19, 2017 5:57 AM, concerning plant: Orchid (Dendrobium Vintner's Reserve 'Vino Tinto')

The correct spelling of the clonal name is questionable and has been discussed somewhat in the Orchid forum. It has been pointed out to me that 'Vino Tinto' is the most logical spelling ('Vino Tino' being the other possibility), as "Vintner" is a wine maker and "Vino Tinto" is Spanish for "red wine". Of course, the owner who gave it the clonal name may not be in the same language group or share the same alphabet; plenty of Orchid clones have unusual or non-standard spellings.

By Australis on Jul 19, 2017 5:39 AM, concerning plant: Orchid (Myrmecophila brysiana)

This species has been reported to have significant variation in the blooms and is also often confused with others in the genus.

By farmerdill on Jul 17, 2017 6:52 PM, concerning plant: Corn (Zea mays subsp. mays 'Jackpot')

An older bicolor released by Novartis (Syngenta). Nice 8 inch ears and reasonably prolific. Darker yellow than in most bicolors. Less sweet than most. Widely available.

Page 1 of 897 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 897

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "woodpile coleus"