Page 1 of 903 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 903

By pod on Sep 24, 2017 1:43 PM, concerning plant: Hot Pepper (Capsicum annuum 'Aleppo')

The seeds for Aleppo pepper were generously shared. This was the first year I tried it.

This single plant was grown in a raised bed in full sun. It has many fruits on it.

I plan to let them ripen and dehydrate and grind to use as a pepper seasoning in foods.

By RoseBlush1 on Sep 24, 2017 12:25 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Mr. Bluebird')

Interesting fact about the registration and marketing of 'Mr. Bluebird' ...

When Ralph Moore introduced this rose in 1960, miniature roses were in fashion, so he registered it as a miniature rose even though it is a china rose. He used the miniature classification because he said, "No one is interested in buying a china rose".

In some rose literature, it is a cross of Old Blush (a china) x Old Blush. Ralph has said it is a self seedling of Old Blush. Since the pollen parent is uncertain, standard practice is to say it was open pollenated.

Like many chinas, it does need to be pruned lightly in spring for a more prolific bloom.

By DESIERTOROSA on Sep 24, 2017 10:35 AM, concerning plant: Desert Rose (Adenium obesum 'Night Rose')

my 8 yr old desert rose got waterlogged by way too much rain. I was checking it & noticed that it had soft spots. I've removed it frm pot & washed it off. It's not rotted but when depressing, it feels kinda spongy. Pls. help me, I love my baby.

By poisondartfrog on Sep 24, 2017 9:47 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Limbaugh’s Legacy Potato Top')

Only two tomato varieties from this year's crop are still producing and ripening full sized fruits with little or no insect or disease damage. The most prolific of these is Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top. The plant is large and vigorous and the tomatoes are, too. The shoulders of some fruits exhibit considerable cracking, but the tomatoes are so large that discarding the top half inch is no hardship.

By poisondartfrog on Sep 24, 2017 7:31 AM, concerning plant: Coffee Senna (Senna occidentalis)

Seeds germinated readily and grew into a small-medium sized shrub festooned with golden yellow buds and flowers. Reports of malodorous foliage were confirmed when I handled the plant to collect seeds. Collecting the seeds was unsettling for this ophidiophobic gardener. The seed pods rattled ominously, causing me to look around more than once to make sure I was alone.

By poisondartfrog on Sep 24, 2017 6:57 AM, concerning plant: Cuphea aequipetala

Seeds germinated quickly, but the plant grew more slowly and took longer to bloom than many Cuphea species I've worked with. All parts of the plant, with the exception of the roots, are extremely sticky. That, in combination with fine hairs on the stems, traps water droplets produced from rain, or even high humidity or fog. The color is a rich magenta-leaning purple, and it has proved to be irresistible to hummingbirds. I grew it as an annual, but it is perennial to zone 9 and I expect to move it into the greenhouse or house to winter over.

By DonShirer on Sep 24, 2017 2:24 AM, concerning plant: Cucumber (Cucumis sativus 'Sweet Burpless')

Smooth skinned slicers with mild taste. They can get up to a foot long, but I picked them at 9" for fewer seeds. Only a slight curl when grown on a trellis. Did not produce as many fruit as my other cukes this year. I can't confirm the "burpless" claims since I've grown at least a dozen different varieties and never had one that made me burp!

By DonShirer on Sep 24, 2017 2:12 AM, concerning plant: Cucumber (Cucumis sativus 'Japanese Climbing')

The name is appropriate since these plants quickly climbed to the top and spilled over my 6ft supports. Fruit is fairly smooth at 1.5-2" in diameter and can grow very long (over 12") but I preferred picking them around 9" so they had fewer seeds. Will curl if not trellised. Taste was ok, but I preferred Suyo Long even though it had thicker skin. Average yield.

By DonShirer on Sep 24, 2017 2:00 AM, concerning plant: Cucumber (Cucumis sativus 'Muncher')

Good-tasting slicing cucumber with smooth skin, also said to be good for pickling. Advertised as burpless, not seedless. I picked them at about 6-7" long. Average yield until they succumbed to a wilt, which hit almost all my cukes this year.

By DonShirer on Sep 24, 2017 1:51 AM, concerning plant: Cucumber (Cucumis sativus 'Sweet Success')

Good-tasting straight slicers, typically 10-12" long with average to good production. Supposedly burpless. Advertised as seedless if isolated, but I had other cukes nearby and mine did have seeds unless picked very early at about 6" long. Smooth thin skin.

By DonShirer on Sep 23, 2017 8:07 PM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Michael Pollan')

I have plenty of fruit on two Michael Pollan tomato plants, but as of Sept. 23 they show no signs of the yellow tint that is supposed to herald ripening. I picked some last month to test –they were as hard as a rock– then put them on a shelf and forgot about them. This week my wife noticed that they were a little softer. Still no yellow, but they were edible. Mild, slightly sweet, but not great taste. Fruit on vine still not yelllow. If you are looking for a long-keeping tomato, M.P. might be for you, but pray that yours ripen better than mine.

By ScotTi on Sep 23, 2017 11:24 AM, concerning plant: Neoregelia 'Magali'

Neoregelia 'Magali' ( Neo. 'Lila' X Neo. 'Meyendorffii') is a Grant Groves hybrid and considered the best red Neoregelia.

By Australis on Sep 23, 2017 1:33 AM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium 'Dong-i')

This is an unregistered cultivar that was created in 2005. According to the IAEA Mutant Variety Database (MVD), this cultivar is a deliberate mutation created by irradiating an unspecified Cymbidium culture with gamma rays. The result was a smaller plant with striped leaves.

By Australis on Sep 22, 2017 11:15 PM, concerning plant: Clivia Lily (Clivia miniata 'Towards White')

At the time of writing, this is a relatively new strain of Clivia (none yet bloomed) created by crossing two pale cream parents with the hope of producing even paler creams and possibly whites.

By robertduval14 on Sep 22, 2017 8:23 PM, concerning plant: Marijuana (Cannabis sativa 'Honduras')

'Honduras' is a Central American landrace strain preserved by ACE Seeds.

By Rgarcia988 on Sep 22, 2017 3:31 PM, concerning plant: Split-Leaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa 'Cheesecake')

I need help, because clearly I am freaking out and I have no idea of how to either cut my root rot or save it without cutting it. Is it possible? It's some type of monstera.

By Australis on Sep 22, 2017 3:45 AM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium Tracyanum Alexander 'NH')

This is a known tetraploid and one of New Horizon Orchids' stock. Andy Easton comments that it is more a hobbyist plant than a commercial type.

By RoseBlush1 on Sep 20, 2017 7:46 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'White Delight')

I have found 'White Delight' to be a prolific bloomer in my garden in the mountains of northern California. In the summer, my climate has low humidity and high temperatures. 'White Delight', growing own root, is a strong, healthy plant. I don't think I could ask for a better garden rose.

By farmerdill on Sep 20, 2017 6:43 PM, concerning plant: Bell Pepper (Capsicum anuum 'Lynx')

A good producer of large blocky fruits. Red when ripe. Not as disease resistant as Socrates but performed ok under my conditions.

By bxncbx on Sep 20, 2017 5:58 PM, concerning plant: Pansy (Viola x wittrockiana 'Flambe Red')

Flambé Red is advertised as a color-changing pansy. Flowers start out as a vibrant purplish-red. As the flowers age the color lightens to almost a rose red. I find both colors to be attractive.

Page 1 of 903 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 903

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Cosmos and Black eyed Susans"