Page 1 of 884 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 884

By djkkruschk on Apr 23, 2017 8:13 AM, concerning plant: Waterlily Tulip (Tulipa kaufmanniana 'Corona')

Beautiful Tulip! I would really like to buy some bulbs for these, But I live in zone 5, would they
still grow here for me? can I leave them in the ground over winter? and ok 1 more question,,,
where would I buy them? Thank you
Karen

By mjsponies on Apr 22, 2017 8:19 PM, concerning plant: Dischidia dohtii

There are 2 forms of this Dischidia.
1 from Laos, which has very fine hairs on surface of the leaf,and 1 from the Philippines, which is smooth. Both produce tiny white Urn shaped blooms.

By Sheridragonfly on Apr 22, 2017 3:41 PM, concerning plant: Butterfly Bush (Buddleja Buzz™ Sky Blue)

Large full blooms on a dwarf size butterfly bush....
Each time I see the color of this beautiful bloom it reminds me
of the beautiful blue sky I see at least 300 days out of each year
at my home!

By valleylynn on Apr 22, 2017 2:31 PM, concerning plant: Hen and Chicks (Sempervivum 'Pluto')

I am wondering if we have two different semps entered for 'Pluto'?

@JungleShadows
Kevin, do you have a written description for 'Pluto'?

By ScotTi on Apr 22, 2017 8:33 AM, concerning plant: Croton (Codiaeum variegatum 'Sloppy Painter')

This plant is known only as 'Eleanor Roosevelt' by Croton collectors and the 'Sloppy Painter' name is frowned on. The 'Sloppy Painter' name was stuck on this plant by nursery tradesmen at a later time. This Croton is a hybrid by Henry Coppinger . 'Eleanor Roosevelt', 'Franklin Roosevelt', 'Johanna Coppinger', 'Golden Glow' and 'Miami Beauty' all came from the same seed cluster.

By lauribob on Apr 20, 2017 4:30 PM, concerning plant: Aster (Symphyotrichum lateriflorum 'Lady in Black')

This plant has striking dark purplish foliage, which provides interest from spring until the masses of flowers appear in late summer. It does best in full sun but will tolerate a bit of shade. Native to North America.

By lauribob on Apr 20, 2017 4:17 PM, concerning plant: Aster (Symphyotrichum lateriflorum 'Prince')

This is very similar to the cultivar 'Lady in Black' but it is shorter and does not spread as readily. Can be grown in partial or dappled shade, but the foliage will have the best color in full sun.

By lauribob on Apr 20, 2017 10:00 AM, concerning plant: Purple Fountain Grass (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum')

This is often sold in my area with incorrect zone information. I have purchased it twice where the tag said zone 5 or 6. It's an (expensive) annual for me and the zone 9 information here is undoubtedly accurate.

By stilldew on Apr 19, 2017 7:27 PM, concerning plant: Hen and Chicks (Sempervivum 'Waldaline')

Slow to multiply for me.

By beenthere on Apr 19, 2017 4:43 PM, concerning plant: Red October Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii 'Red October')

This is one tough grass! Last July I briefly lost my mind and decided to dig and divide my three 2 year old plants. Hubby was gone golfing, but how hard could it be, right? They were only 2/3 ft tall and 2 ft wide. When Bob got back an hour later, I was groveling on the ground with an assortment of kitchen knives. I had finally levered the first out of the ground, and barely made a dent in that massive root system. Sod forming indeed! He made quick work of it with the reciprocating saw, but had just as much trouble getting the other two out. Got ten divisions out of the three plants and planted them on the rocky slope. They looked like road kill the rest of the year and I was sure I was going to lose some. They are ALL coming up this spring like nothing happened! This is one tough grass! .

By Frillylily on Apr 19, 2017 10:47 AM, concerning plant: Euphorbia (Euphorbia x martini 'Ascot Rainbow')

Died over the winter its second year and did not return. Returned strongly the winter before, so I am inclined to think this is a biannual and only lives 2 years. Does not like wet winter soil, needs well drained soil.

By Frillylily on Apr 19, 2017 10:44 AM, concerning plant: Carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus Oscar™ Clavel Pink)

Unfortunately, this did not overwinter for me and it died despite being in well drained soil.

By Frillylily on Apr 19, 2017 10:42 AM, concerning plant: Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii)

I've had this shrub for 3 years now and it comes back well after the winter and stays shapely with no pruning and so far has behaved itself and stayed small. The pretty color holds all summer, no leaves in the winter, and it also has a fine white edging around ea leaf. I don't give it a lot of water either. It is planted facing south in front of my house, so far the back side facing the house has held up and not died off. It doesn't seem to grow reaching out toward the sun side.

By Frillylily on Apr 19, 2017 10:39 AM, concerning plant: Japanese Ardisia (Ardisia japonica 'Chirimen')

I purchased 3 of these Monrovia brand from Lowes last fall and planted them in some fairly rotted mulch thinking I would put them in permanent homes come spring. None of them survived the unusually mild winter we had. I did go out a few times and water them over the winter because we had hardly no moisture, or snow this year.

By skylark on Apr 18, 2017 5:19 PM, concerning plant: Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima 'Freedom Jingle Bells')

I have bought this variety by chance 2 years ago and it worked out very well - held the bracts for several months. I later read that it was developed to hold the bracts longer than other cultivars.
So I bought a larger plant again past Christmas and it is holding most of its bracts (90% maybe) after 4 months.

By Baja_Costero on Apr 18, 2017 2:40 PM, concerning plant: Canary Islands Dragon Tree (Dracaena draco)

Canary Islands tree which may grow to imposing proportions and live for hundreds of years, given just the right spot. Relatively common in cultivation in mild climates. Drought tolerant. Enjoys extreme exposure and good drainage. Suitable as a container plant when young, given strong light. A single head may reach about 3-4 feet wide. Leaves are shed from the bottom of rosettes during normal growth as the stem extends. Different populations exist with varying features.

Flowers appear after a few years (sometimes at just a couple of feet tall, up to 6-10 feet) and plants stop growing new leaves until the show is done, but then branch afterwards. May be self fertile. Fruit (an orange berry) is highly edible to birds and rodents.

One of the sources of dragon's blood, a red resin, but not an original source from ancient times (the closely related D. cinnabari from Socotra was used by the Romans).

By Baja_Costero on Apr 16, 2017 9:43 PM, concerning plant: Dragon's Blood Tree (Dracaena cinnabari)

Exotic Socotran endemic, related to the Canary Island dragon tree D. draco (which is orders of magnitude more common in cultivation). It is hard to distinguish young plants of the two species. Grows fabulous wide canopies with advanced age. Enjoys extreme exposure. Drought tolerant. Experiences regular fog in habitat.

One of a few trees that make a red resin called dragon's blood, which has been collected by humans for millennia. This species makes the "true" dragon's blood used by the Romans, and traded along with resins from Boswellia and Commiphora (aka frankincense and myrrh).

By HeidiS on Apr 16, 2017 9:36 AM, concerning plant: Bible Hyssop (Origanum syriacum)

We planted this plant in Zone 9b from seed nearly four years ago. It's in partial shade, poor soil where nothing else has seemed happy, and yet it has given an abundant and delicious supply of oregano the whole time, with enough to share. It does slow its growth in the heat of summer, but it doesn't die back and makes up for the slow season during the rest of the year.

By Baja_Costero on Apr 14, 2017 8:09 PM, concerning plant: Jabily (Operculicarya decaryi)

SW Madagascar's equivalent of the related Pachycormus (elephant tree) from Baja California. Up to 20-30 feet tall in the ground. Interesting bonsai subject, long-lived container plant. Will keep its shiny leaves for most or all of the year in mild climates. Seed-grown plants have a much better form than plants started from cuttings. Tuberous roots can be raised for display.

By Bonehead on Apr 14, 2017 5:03 PM, concerning plant: Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum 'Yugure')

Upright and broad. Leaves are plum red in spring, bronze red in summer, and brilliant red in fall. The Japanese name means 'twilight.'

Page 1 of 884 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 884

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose Creme Caramel"