Page 902 of 1020 • 1 ... 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 ... 1020

By sheryl on Dec 6, 2011 8:47 PM, concerning plant: Spiderwort (Tradescantia x andersoniana 'Blushing Bride')

This plant has been frost tender, but root hardy in 6b/7a. It does root where the stems touch the ground as well as underground. I've never noticed any blooms on it. Very easily propagated in moist soil.

Variegation is supposed to show in both spring and fall, but I've only seen it in spring. I've read that the color is better in shadier conditions. My own plant is in partial sun/ shade and thriving.

By sheryl on Dec 6, 2011 8:20 PM, concerning plant: Snow Crocus (Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant')

Lovely little flowers, blooming here in 6b/7a by early March. They are known to bloom through a late snow cover. The flowers only last for a day but it's not unusual to get multiple blooms per plant.

After blooming the foliage disappears until the following year.

By sheryl on Dec 6, 2011 8:05 PM, concerning plant: Lyreleaf Sage (Salvia lyrata 'Purple Knockout')

I have had this plant in a partial shade with direct sun area and it has thrived, but not spread or self-seeded like the species S. lyrata. It grows in my awful clay soil, hasn't needed any supplemental water despite our high 90's heat and drought the past two summers.

The purple leaves are very pretty and nearly prostrate to the ground. Although it does bloom, I grow it mostly for the leaf color. A very easy plant here in Middle Tennessee.

By sheryl on Dec 6, 2011 7:46 PM, concerning plant: Lyreleaf Sage (Salvia lyrata)

Salvia lyrata grows wild in my area (Mid-Tennessee, zone 6b/7a). You can see the pale lavender spikes of blooms on the sides of roadways and working it's way into lawns. It self-seeds prolifically in garden situations as well in the wild and requires no care but the occasional prune of the bloom stalks if you wish to prevent seeding.

It is also grown as a medicinal herb.

By ssgardener on Dec 6, 2011 6:30 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Guacamole'

These were my very first hostas and I'm hooked! My guacamole is more lime green than what's shown in these pictures. The flowers are very pale lavender and have a wonderful fragrance. It's December now, and the leaves are still green!

I did have a problem with snails right after planting these. Coffee grounds didn't do much, so I used a combination of coffee grounds and Sluggo. There was only minor leaf damage.

They were bought on sale at a big box store for about 4 dollars per plant. After planting them in September, they grew about twice their original size! I can't wait to see how big they'll get next year.

By ssgardener on Dec 6, 2011 6:21 PM, concerning plant: Panicle Hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata Limelightâ„¢)

I wish I had room for 5 more of these hydrangeas.

The flowers start a beautiful lime green color and turn bright white. They're supposed to turn pink before turning brown, but mine just turned brown. I think I may have not watered it enough at the time it was supposed to turn pink. I hope they turn pink next fall.

The brown flower heads provide great winter interest. Mine's in the northwest corner of my house and gets full sun from about 1 pm to sunset, and it's done beautifully! No sign of sun or heat damage at all. My neighbor has a different cultivar of paniculata and the blooms flop all the way to the ground. But the Limelight blooms stay upright on strong stems.

I can't recommend this plant enough!

By ssgardener on Dec 6, 2011 6:09 PM, concerning plant: Russian Sage (Perovskia 'Little Spire')

I got the Little Spire cultivar, because I'd read somewhere that they're more upright and not likely to flop. Well, 2 out of my 3 Little Spires flopped for me! But I don't care because they're so beautiful in the late summer/autumn garden, covered in little blue flowers. They're bee magnets! The big, gentle bees that don't bother people. They're supposed to attract butterflies, too, but only the bees were interested in my garden. And it smells great, similar to culinary sage.

I think they'd do better (that is, not flop) in a *very* well draining sandy soil. I have clay that I amend with compost/leaf mold. I can't amend with sand, because it turns to concrete. Next time, I'm going to try amending with some perlite, and see if that leads to less flopping.

By ssgardener on Dec 6, 2011 6:00 PM, concerning plant: Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia 'Arapaho')

This crape myrtle has bright red flowers that last for months! It did great its first year in a hot, sunny, dry location with twice weekly watering during the hottest months. It's a National Arboretum cultivar that's supposed to be disease resistant. It did get a little bit of powdery mildew in the summer, but a little neem oil cleared it up. It's still a young tree, so I'm not sure how showy the bark will get. The soil is hard, rocky, compacted clay, but heavily amended with leaf mold and mulched heavily with pine bark.

By BookerC1 on Dec 6, 2011 5:13 PM, concerning plant: Checkered Lily (Fritillaria meleagris)

I look forward to this shy little flower every spring! It multiplies very slowly, so don't count on it filling in an area very quickly. The foliage is very narrow and barely noticeable, so be careful not to weed them out before they bloom. Very pretty with Sweet William "Sooty" and heuchera "Plum Pudding."

[ Give a thumbs up | 3 replies ]

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 4:37 PM, concerning plant: Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia 'Miss Emily Mackenzie')

This is a large single pink. She rarely if ever accepts pollen and sets a pod.

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 4:30 PM, concerning plant: Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia 'Sam')

This is one of the smaller double pinks, smaller then Peanut. For me it is also easier to root than Peanut. Both were hybridized by the same person and named for her dogs.

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 4:18 PM, concerning plant: Peregrina (Jatropha integerrima)

Butterflies and hummers are attracted to this plant. Here in north Florida it needs to be over wintered in my GH where it blooms pretty much all winter.

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 4:11 PM, concerning plant: Angel Trumpet (Brugmansia 'Andrew's Gold')

The blooms on this brug are large and golden yellow. It was hybridized by Brenda Delph and named for my grandson. The cross is DJ's CanCan Girl x Monkey Shine.

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 4:07 PM, concerning plant: Angel Trumpet (Brugmansia 'Adeline')

The blooms on Adeline are among the larger double pinks.

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 4:01 PM, concerning plant: Forked Blue Curls (Trichostema dichotomum)

This is a native plant in Florida. The leaves have a rather pungent odor. I'm not sure whether it will overwinter outside this far north. Mine came from Lutz (Tampa area). Kept it in the GH last year. This year I have left some outside, so come spring we shall see.

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 3:54 PM, concerning plant: Walking Iris (Neomarica gracilis)

When this is planted in the ground, it will send out runners with a bloom on the end. Once the bloom is spent, a new plant forms and roots where it touches the ground. Hence the name "walking iris." The new plant can also be cut off the runner and planted wherever you want another one to grow.

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 3:44 PM, concerning plant: Devil's Trumpet (Datura metel 'Triple Yellow')

The thorns on the seed pod of this datura are very sharp. When you see the pod start to crack, cut it off and put in a container with a lid. Once fully dried, shake to dislodge the seeds. Your fingers will thank you.

By gingin on Dec 6, 2011 3:36 PM, concerning plant: Devil's Trumpet (Datura metel 'Black Currant Swirl')

The seed pod on this datura is green and purple. The thorns are not as sharp as on some others.

By gardengus on Dec 6, 2011 2:31 PM, concerning plant: Spotted Dead Nettle (Lamium maculatum 'Purple Dragon')

I have discovered this plant does great in a large pot, it is almost evergreen in the pot, spreads to flow over the pot and has a great color.

By gardengus on Dec 6, 2011 2:23 PM, concerning plant: Brazilian Buttonbush (Centratherum punctatum)

I like this plant enough to grow it even if I get very little bloom time in zone 5 .
It is one of the last plants to bloom before freeze.
Discovered they bloom earlier in the ground than in a pot.

Page 902 of 1020 • 1 ... 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 ... 1020

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "My Happy Hibiscus"