Page 905 of 1016 • 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 1016

By Sharon on Dec 3, 2011 10:42 PM, concerning plant: Cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)

The cornflower, Bachelor's Button, is a native of Europe and widely cultivated in North America, so much so that it has escaped from gardens and naturalized. It is an annual herb, with an erect wiry stem that branches and can grow to about 2 feet tall. At the ends of the branches grow single brilliant blue flowerheads. It has long grayish green leaves that are lance shaped and downy like the stem.

At one time it was considered a medicinal plant, and it does have the qualities of an astringent.

By Sharon on Dec 3, 2011 10:35 PM, concerning plant: Aloe Vera (Aloe vera)

Aloe grows well outside for those who live in consistently dry, sunny and sandy soil conditions. For the rest of us it is a houseplant. For centuries it has been used as a medicinal plant. The fresh juice squeezed from a broken aloe leaf provides instant relief for minor burns and wounds. You can find aloe in many lotions, creams, salves, shampoos and various other pharmaceutical products. It is also used in the medical world as a salve for the treatment of radiation burns.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 9:25 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Ferris Wheel')

Produces a lot of flowers over a month or so period. Moderate increase.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 9:22 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Eruption')

Red w/yellow throat, blooms at different heights. Very fast increaser. Plants are covered in flowers in bloom season.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 9:12 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Eenie Weenie')

A beautiful little gem for the rockery or for tucking into small places. This one has a different characteristic to many miniature daylilies. It is rather squat; its star-shaped flowers bunched up almost in the foliage. Very different.

By zuzu on Dec 3, 2011 9:07 PM, concerning plant: Clematis 'Mevrouw le Coultre'

This Clematis is often confused with Marie Boisselot and misidentified by stores as the same plant, but they are two different plants.

By gwhizz on Dec 3, 2011 9:03 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium 'Show Off (Tonkin)')

A very small diameter asiatic that appears very strong and long lasting. This one I have pictured had only just opened and it was purchased by a lovely old lady. I had to ask 'can I take a picture of it before you go'?

By Marilyn on Dec 3, 2011 8:00 PM, concerning plant: Foothill Penstemon (Penstemon heterophyllus 'Electric Blue')

I had this plant years ago, but I lost it. The flowers are a gorgeous electric blue color! I'd like to find it again to plant. The one I had I got locally, but I haven't seen it since.

Maybe I'll check the growing requirements better if I can find it. I might not had the perfect conditions where I had it planted.

[ Give a thumbs up | 7 replies ]

By Jenn on Dec 3, 2011 7:20 PM, concerning plant: Russian Sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia)

Easy to establish. Drought tolerant sun lover. They give off a nice fragrance and attract pollinators. They grow quite tall, and will spread out, so give them room in the back of the bed!

By kqcrna on Dec 3, 2011 7:17 PM, concerning plant: Purple Verbena (Glandularia canadensis 'Homestead Purple')

Verbena Homestead Purple's blossoms are a beautiful, bright purple color. It spreads to blanket 3 to 4 feet of space within a few months. It attracts a lot of butterflies.

However, this is the third time I have planted this plant in my yard, and it has not survived its first winter in my two previous attempts. I don't know whether the problem is our frigid winter temperatures or the constant winter wet in my clay soil.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 6:05 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Easy Ned')

Can be slow to increase. Blooms over a three to four week period.
Garden Value Poll Winner

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 6:03 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Double Down')

3 way branching, with bud count at 20+. Proven cold hardy in northern gardens, is rust-resistant, and is a fast increaser.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 6:00 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Dorothy Lambert')

Occasionally gives a poly bloom.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 5:59 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Dominic')

Prolific grower and bloomer.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 5:58 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Designer Jeans')

A dependable plant in my garden. Never skips a season of bloom where some others will.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 5:55 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Desdemona')

Needs a few years to establish, but once it does it's a great performer. Though not listed as a rebloomer, most years it does in my garden.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 5:52 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Dena Marie's Sister')

Took a long time to establish and bloom in my garden. Scapes are sturdy and well branched. Flower color is super, but sometimes spotty.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 5:50 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Dallas Star')

A simple trumpet form, elegant and well-branched. A magnificent sight en masse! Blooms are just a few inches above the mounding dark green leaves.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 5:48 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Crimson Pirate')

Long-blooming. Very fertile parent for spider breeding. Weatherproof pigments: a very good garden plant. Looks like red velvet in the garden.

By Joy on Dec 3, 2011 5:45 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Crimson Brocade')

This one takes a few years to settle in and start showing off. But boy is it worth the wait. A real showy red in the garden. Hard to take your eyes off of it.

Page 905 of 1016 • 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 1016

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Salvia and Crocosmia in late June"