Page 905 of 999 • 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 999

By Calif_Sue on Nov 22, 2011 1:02 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Jade Star')

Reserved name only, not registered.

By Marilyn on Nov 21, 2011 11:12 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Wedding Band')

I used to grow this one and without thinking clearly, I got rid of it with a bunch of other Daylilies while trying to trim the amount I grew from approx. 400 to a couple of dozen.

It's an 'oldie', but goodie. I loved seeing it in bloom! I'm going to try and get this from someone I know next year and grow it again.

It's a beautiful Daylily and I love the name of it!

By Marilyn on Nov 21, 2011 10:14 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Siesta Key')

I just found out today while doing the database that this one exists! I can't believe I haven't known about it since 2003! I've read and/or heard you're 'not supposed' to get a Daylily just for it's name, but I'd love to get this one! It's a beauty and it's more than two feet tall! My wonderful and sweet DH and I traveled to Siesta Key for a wedding and honeymoon. I'll have to check the 2012 Eureka guide when it comes and get it next year. It'll be an early 16th anniv. gift to myself for my garden! I've been growing spidery Daylilies lately, but I do have a few that aren't, so this will fit right in! It was a very special time for us then and our marriage has been, so seeing it in bloom and knowing the name of it, will bring smiles!

By flaflwrgrl on Nov 21, 2011 9:32 PM, concerning plant: Pink Evening Primrose (Oenothera speciosa)

Pink Evening primrose was originally native only to central grasslands from Missouri and Nebraska south through Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas to northeastern Mexico. Pink evening primrose is an upright to sprawling 1-1/2 ft. perennial, which spreads to form extensive colonies. Pink Evening primrose bears large, four-petaled flowers, which range in color from white to dark pink. The buds nod and then open into white or pink flowers on slender stems. Blossoms are cup shaped and delicate, and they sport red or pink veins. Generally, the foliage is linear and pinnate, but the leaves can also be lance shaped, depending on the particular location where the plant is growing.

The Pink Evening primrose is quite drought resistant as well as hardy and it can form very large colonies. Depending upon drought conditions the flowers may be as small as 1".

As you would guess by the name, most evening primroses open their flowers in the evening and close them in the early mornings. In the southern part of its native range, however, this primrose opens its blooms in the morning and then closes them in the evenings.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 7:13 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Wylde Green Cream'

It is very likely that this hosta and 'Heart and Soul' are the same plant, just registered by different people. both are simultaneous sports of 'Vanilla Cream'.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 7:01 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Stealth'

My photo above shows a 'Stealth' that seems to be stabilizing though I've not been able to find out if the stabilized form has a name.

By zuzu on Nov 21, 2011 6:17 PM, concerning plant: Tree Dahlia (Dahlia imperialis)

This plant is not a good choice for most gardens. In my garden, for instance, it grows to about 20-25 feet tall each year, but it's usually snapped in half by the first strong winter wind. Another drawback is that it doesn't bloom until late November here in zone 9, but it succumbs to frost within a few weeks, so the enjoyment factor is quite fleeting when it comes to the blooms.

[ Give a thumbs up | 2 replies ]

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 4:30 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Lakeside Elfin Fire'

An enthusiastic mini which grows quite quickly for a plant with this much white in the leaves.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 4:23 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Halcyon'

A relatively slow-growing Tardiana blue that holds its colour well into the season. Mine has grown better since I divided it and moved it away from a Linden tree.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 4:18 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'My Claire'

A very pretty little hosta that sometimes gets overlooked. I divided mine spring 2011 and planted much of it back in three groups. I expect it to look much fuller next year.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 4:15 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Moonstruck'

I find this one very difficult to grow. - Tends to melt out very easily even when placed in morning sun only.

By wcgypsy on Nov 21, 2011 1:48 PM, concerning plant: Alligator Pear (Persea americana 'Fuerte')

The California Avocado Commission describes the Fuerte Avocado as being:

Pear-shaped
Medium sized seed
Medium large fruit, 5-14 ounces
Easily peeled
Smooth green skinned
Creamy, pale green fleshed
Harvested late Fall-Spring

By pardalinum on Nov 21, 2011 12:37 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium 'First Lady')

There appears to be three different versions of lilies named 'First Lady'. The registered version is a white upfacing lily.

By saltmarsh on Nov 21, 2011 12:19 PM, concerning plant: Sweet Pepper (Capsicum annuum 'Garden Sunshine')

Compact bell pepper well suited for planting in pots or in ground. Fruits are bell shaped up to 8" long and ripen from yellow to orange then red.

By saltmarsh on Nov 21, 2011 12:08 PM, concerning plant: Rutabaga (Brassica napus 'American Purple Top')

When I plant these, I sow them too thick on purpose. The small greens are an excellent addition to fresh salads, much appreciated by friends and neighbors. I initially thin to about 2 inches apart as I harvest the salad greens, then when the rutabaga leaves are about 8 - 10 inches I thin them to 12 inches apart. The greens harvested at this stage have better flavor than turnip greens. These can be cooked and put in the freezer for a quick heat and eat dish. I leave the mature rutabegas in the ground covered with tree leaves and harvest thru the winter as needed.

By saltmarsh on Nov 21, 2011 11:47 AM, concerning plant: Mustard Greens (Brassica juncea 'Florida Broadleaf')

Excellent Mustard Green cooked by itself or as a flavor enhancer mixed with other greens such as rutabaga greens.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 11:37 AM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Grand Prize'

Just slightly smaller than 'Grand Tiara'

By saltmarsh on Nov 21, 2011 11:37 AM, concerning plant: Turnip (Brassica rapa subsp. rapa 'Seven Top')

I planted these as a trap crop between rows of lima beans. Worked well in keeping lice from the bean vines, also makes a good eating green, but roots are inedible.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 11:10 AM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Fujibotan'

Very, very tall flower scapes on this plant are covered with double lavender flowers.

By ViolaAnn on Nov 21, 2011 11:03 AM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Fortunei Aureomarginata'

This is a real "oldie but goodie". A real show stopper in my garden, that I love. Give it time to mature and enough moisture and light and it does very well.

Page 905 of 999 • 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 999

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"