Page 905 of 977 • 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 977

By kqcrna on Oct 23, 2011 6:17 AM, concerning plant: Blanket Flower (Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Goblin')

Goblin is my favorite gaillardia because of the neat mound that it maintains throughout the summer. Other gaillardias that I've tried tend to grow tall, sprawling flowers that collapse in wind and rain. Goblin is covered with blossoms all summer long.

Gaillardias don't like winter wet, so they tend to be short-lived plants in my clay soil, lasting only a couple of years. They are very drought tolerant and attract bees and butterflies.

Mature seeds look like shuttlecocks. They wintersow and transplant well. They can also be propagated by slicing into the rootball with a sharp knife in several places around the plant. Small plantlets will emerge from the parent plant's roots and can be severed and transplanted when large enough.

By kqcrna on Oct 23, 2011 5:36 AM, concerning plant: Bigleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla Endless Summer® The Original)

My Endless Summer hydrangeas bloom heavily in early summer, and sporadically through summer they produce occasional flowers. Hydrangea blossom color is blue in acidic soil, pink in alkaline soil, so you can change the color by amending your soil appropriately. They can easily be propagated by layering.

By Marilyn on Oct 23, 2011 5:27 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Snowflake Empress')

I grew 'Snowflake Empress' in my garden for years and loved it! One of my favorites when I grew it!

By jmorth on Oct 23, 2011 2:13 AM, concerning plant: Gloriosa Lily (Gloriosa superba 'Rothschildiana')

Some cultural notes on Gloriosa rothschildiana -
I usually grow mine in very large containers (14 to 20" +).
I place the tubers (which are often shaped like fingers, legs, or L's) 2 inches below the top of the soil, they are placed horizontally with an inch or two apart, 3 to 6 per container. If using pots or containers, its a good idea to have a trellis in place so as not to accidentally pierce one when soil covered later. They can grow upward (by tendrils at leaf's ends) up to 8 feet per season. It's essential to provide a support for them to grow upward on. The soil must be free draining (adding some sand usually helps). For most of my containers I put a couple inches of styrofoam peanuts in the bottom (this keeps the weight more manageable and helps drainage). Mine usually bloom through the whole summer season. When they decline by fall, taper off watering. I move mine to the basement for overwinter storage. If utilizing large pots, they maybe be left dry in the pots till spring when it is recommended they be re-potted. When tapped out of their old pot an amazing juxtaposition has often occurred in that the tubers migrate from the horizontal plane to become vertical.
I usually fertilize them with liquid Miracle Grow every 2 to 3 weeks.
One can ascertain when they'll come out of their dormancy by observing the tuber tips, they take on a pinkish coloration. At this point it is usually easier to establish which side goes up when planting for a rudimentary eye becomes visible and points upward. The basement here maintains a fairly constant average temperature around 60 degrees.
When grown outside they prefer night temps 60 - 70 degrees but can tolerate down to 50 degrees. Preferred day temps are 75 degrees or higher with high humidity (typical midwest climate).
They can also be grown as houseplants or in the ground summer plants.
At season's end or next season's beginning when extracting them from their habitat it is easy to break them. If that happens be not overly alarmed as each separate leg may bloom any way.

By jmorth on Oct 23, 2011 1:49 AM, concerning plant: Lion's Tail (Leonotis leonurus)

I believe the Wild Dagga designation refers to the African native perennial that is utilized in native culture to somewhat, shall we say, alter reality on a temporary basis.

By kqcrna on Oct 22, 2011 9:22 PM, concerning plant: Gay Feather (Liatris spicata 'Kobold')

Liatris Kobold purple is a beautiful, upright spike of bright purple. It is drought tolerant and adds vertical accent to the garden. It attracts bees and butterflies.

By sheryl on Oct 22, 2011 7:38 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Screaming Queen')

Sheesh - I want this one just for the name!!!

By Marilyn on Oct 22, 2011 4:02 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Dandy Dave')

The parentage of 'Dandy Dave' is (Red Volunteer × Daring Dilemma). I grew both the parents in my garden and I really loved Red Volunteer! Gorgeous Red!

By pardalinum on Oct 22, 2011 4:01 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium 'Goldsmith')

This is a tetraploid strain of lilies hybridized by Judith Freeman. Being a strain and not a clone, there can be some variation from plant to plant but expect them to look very similar.

By Marilyn on Oct 22, 2011 2:59 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Raspberry Bling')

Parentage: (Remembering Joan × (Bela Lugosi × Chance Encounter))

'Remembering Joan' is another of Gary Schaben's Daylily introductions which is in the parentage of 'Raspberry Bling'. 'Remembering Joan' is one I still grow and have been growing since I received it from Gary in 2001, along with 'North Wind Dancer' and these two are two of my all time favorites! Wonderful and very beautiful Daylilies!

I also grew 'Bela Lugosi' and 'Chance Encounter' and loved them!

By valleylynn on Oct 22, 2011 2:08 PM, concerning plant: Species Iris (Iris domestica)

In 2005, based on molecular DNA sequence evidence, Belamcanda chinensis, the sole species in the genus Belamcanda, was transferred to the genus Iris and renamed Iris domestica.

By valleylynn on Oct 22, 2011 1:35 PM, concerning plant: Wood Spurge (Euphorbia x martini 'Rudolph')

David Tristam branch sport selection of Euphorbia x martinii, its unique features are a rosette of bright red bracts during winter.
Remove flower heads after blooming.

Easy to grow in well draining soil. I planted it next to my lilies and it truly did keep the gophers away. For two years now I have been able to grow lilies.

By Boopaints on Oct 22, 2011 12:14 PM, concerning plant: Gasteraloe (XGasteraloe 'Green Ice')

This is gorgeous! I've never seen it before.

By valleylynn on Oct 22, 2011 11:42 AM, concerning plant: Gollum Jade (Crassula ovata 'Gollum')

This is a very easy plant and does not require much care.
It won't do well if you over water; it is very drought tolerant.
It is a very compact plant that is considered to be a hybrid of C. x portulacea by some experts. (a supposed cross between Crassula argentea and C. lactea).
Leaves are tubular, trumpet shaped, each of them tipped with a "suction cup" and are glossy green in color with very light spotting usually with bright red leaf margins; the new growth is red.
Blooms are small, star-like, white or pinkish-white, with pink stamens.
Can be bothered by mealy bugs during the winter when it blooms.

I have not had any problems with this plant in any way.

By kqcrna on Oct 22, 2011 10:07 AM, concerning plant: Coleus (Coleus scutellarioides 'El Brighto')

El Brighto is well named. In a sunny spot its bright color and contrasts are outstanding. It is one of my biggest, heartiest, most vigorous coleuses. With adequate pinching it becomes a full, well-branched plant. It is easily propagated by stem or tip cuttings.

By sandnsea2 on Oct 22, 2011 6:43 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Mary Todd')

Love this Daylily. It is a reliable, long bloomer for me both here in NC and in Mass. Everyone remarks on it and wants a division. A star!

By SongofJoy on Oct 22, 2011 5:47 AM, concerning plant: Dancing Bones Cactus (Hatiora salicornioides)

This plant is fairly easy to root from stem sections or stem cuttings. Do not keep the soil wet or allow standing water in the saucer.

[ Give a thumbs up | 2 replies ]

By SongofJoy on Oct 22, 2011 5:44 AM, concerning plant: Gomphrena (Gomphrena globosa 'Little Purple Buddy')

The seed heads of this Gomphrena retain much of their purple color as they dry on the plant. Once the individual seeds become loose and easy to pull out, they are ready for harvest.

By jmorth on Oct 22, 2011 2:39 AM, concerning plant: New England Aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae)

Fantastic butterfly magnet in fall...I've had up to 8 Monarchs in 1 photo frame. Attracts Monarchs, Red Admirals, Painted Ladies, Skippers (various kinds including Silver Spotted, European, and Peck's), Sulphurs (Clouded, Cloudless, and Orange), Cabbage Whites and Checkered Whites, Swallowtails, Hairstreaks, Buckeyes, Question Marks and Commas, Pearl Crescents, and moths (day time ones).
That said, it should be noted, the Monarchs really take the show.

Used as a medicine by Chinese herbalists. Used as a love medicine by the Iroquois.
Flowers and leaves are edible.

By Sharon on Oct 22, 2011 12:28 AM, concerning plant: Rhododendrons (Rhododendron)

My rhododendron was planted in 1971 and has been growing well since that time. As it ages, it is beginning to sprawl, but it is still a beautiful plant that doesn't require a lot of attention. It receives morning sun in its location, and dappled sunlight throughout the day. It has been known to rebloom in late fall, but with fewer blooms than in spring. It's about 5 feet tall and probably as wide as 4 feet.

Edit: After many many years through all kinds of weather, my rhododendron slowly died and though I tried, I could never revive it. It had recently survived a major ice storm in '09 and the summer of 2012 was spent in extreme drought. Those two factors destroyed a lot of plant life, but I think another factor might be the real culprit. The plant was here when we bought this house, though very very small. It was planted beside a corner brick column which is also a support structure for the house. The bricks and concrete went deep. As the rhody began to grow and increase in all directions, my guess is that it used up soil nutrients more quickly than if it had been planted away from the underground masonry. I failed to even think of that when I noticed its demise had already begun. At that point no amount of watering or feeding was going to help. I should have been amending the soil with good compost during all those years when I simply took it for granted.

Page 905 of 977 • 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 977

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Garden Mum Dazzling Stacey"