Page 906 of 918 • 1 ... 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 ... 918

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 4:11 PM, concerning plant: Hoya (Hoya nummularioides)

This Hoya has little leaves and tiny, very fragrant blooms!

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 4:10 PM, concerning plant: Sweetheart Hoya (Hoya kerrii)

I received this plant as a cutting. It has been a slow grower and sporadic bloomer for me.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 4:09 PM, concerning plant: Hoya (Hoya heuschkeliana)

This is one of the sweetest little Hoyas! I received a cutting of the pink blooming variety a few years ago and although it's been a slow grower, it rooted quickly and bloomed the next year. I love the cute little blooms which are very fragrant! I received a cutting of the yellow blooming heuschkeliana last summer but was unable to get it to root.

My growing conditions:

Zone 9b, East Central Florida with hot summers, mild winters and a fair amount of humidity almost year round.
Fast draining potting medium consisting of a lot of orchid bark mix with a little potting soil incorporated.
I water once a week, sometimes twice during the hot summer months, and sparingly (if at all) during December, January and February.
Bright light but no direct sun.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 4:00 PM, concerning plant: Hoya (Hoya magnifica)

I started this plant from a single cutting received in a co-op in 2008. It has never bloomed for me but I'm hoping to see flowers at some point ....

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:59 PM, concerning plant: String Bean Hoya (Hoya longifolia)

This particular Hoya struggles under my care for some reason. I just haven't been able to figure out what it wants, but I love the fragrant blooms!

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:56 PM, concerning plant: Hoya (Hoya lacunosa)

One of my favorite Hoyas for fragrance. The little white blooms smell really wonderful!

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:55 PM, concerning plant: Passion Flower (Passiflora 'Lady Margaret')

I had not grown Passiflora until a couple of years ago and love the red bloom of 'Lady Margaret'.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:53 PM, concerning plant: Sedum tetractinum 'Coral Reef'

I found this little Sedum at one of my local big box stores a couple of years ago. I don't know much about Sedums but I fell in love with the "coral" look of the foliage. Unfortunately, I lost most of the plant to over-watering but there are still a few little pieces that I stuck beneath another plant and they seem to be surviving!

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:50 PM, concerning plant: Wax Plant (Hoya brevialata)

I lost this Hoya to winter freezes but loved the pretty, fragrant blooms!

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:49 PM, concerning plant: Hoya 'DS-70'

I find this Hoya an easy care plant. When grown in sun the foliage takes on a reddish tinge but if grown in bright shade the leaves remain green. I grow this plant in a chunky, fast draining potting medium consisting of orchid bark mix and potting soil, and I grow it on the dry side watering every other week. The blooms are small and very fragrant. This Hoya blooms for me throughout spring, summer and fall.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:48 PM, concerning plant: Satin Pothos (Scindapsus pictus 'Exotica')

I love variegated foliage so when I first saw this plant back in 2007 I fell in love with it because of the leaves and had to buy it!

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:45 PM, concerning plant: Nun's Cap Orchid (Phaius tankervilleae)

The Nun's Orchid gets its name from its "hooded" blooms. This is a terrestrial orchid with a bulb-like root system. The leaves grow to 3 feet in length and the Reddish/Rusty flowers appear on tall 4' stalks in mid to late spring. The flower color darkens a bit as the flowers age. The plant requires bright light, no direct sun. It makes a wonderful house plant that needs repotting every three to four years.

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:30 PM, concerning plant: Banana Shrub (Magnolia figo)

The "Banana Shrub" is a wonderful evergreen, woody shrub with multiple branching stems that produce fuzzy little brown bracts/buds, and exceptionally fragrant flowers! It grows well in partial sun to shade and blooms for me from late spring through summer.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 3:23 PM, concerning plant: Sand Tick Trefoil (Desmodium lineatum)

Native to the Eastern and Southeastern United States, this plant grows in full sun and shade, has a strong root system and spreads by runners. The seeds are very sticky and if you happen to brush against a plant full of seeds your clothes will be covered with them. This plant is spreading throughout my lawn and although I consider it a weed I do like the pretty little pink flowers!

By gardengus on Sep 19, 2011 2:09 PM, concerning plant: Swiss Chard (Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla 'Bright Lights')

This is a great edible veggie and pretty enough to be in the flower garden.

By gardengus on Sep 19, 2011 1:43 PM, concerning plant: Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)

This herb, dried and placed in pet bedding, helps to repel fleas.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 1:40 PM, concerning plant: Miniature Sinningia (Sinningia pusilla)

This Micro-miniature Sinningia is a member of the Gesneriaceae family of plants like its relative, the African Violet. It requires high humidity but lower light levels than other Gesneriads and will do well at the edge of a fluorescent light stand or in a bright window with no direct sun. Being a micro miniature plant, it does best in a small, shallow container with well-draining potting medium. Keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy. The plant sometimes goes dormant but will re-emerge after a short rest period and it also readily reseeds itself.

A delightful little plant to grow, it's one I've found very easy and I miss mine. When my plant went dormant the last time, I apparently didn't remember what was in the container and dumped it. :(

By NJBob on Sep 19, 2011 12:54 PM, concerning plant: Coneflower (Echinacea 'Summer Sun')

Another color changer from yellow-orange to red to purple-red.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 12:37 PM, concerning plant: Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum)

"Spider Plant" is native to South Africa but has become a very common house plant for many. Spider Plants prefer bright light but no direct sun. The plant has long narrow leaves that grow from a central rosette. It produces stolons with tiny white flowers and baby plants that will take root when they touch the soil. It makes a nice hanging basket plant with the pendant stems and baby plants dangling beneath the pot.

Here in Florida some folks grow Spider Plants in the ground where they spread and make a nice ground cover. I had a flower bed in my backyard with many of these plants a few years ago. There are still two plants in the ground beneath a tree, compliments of baby "plantlets" from a hanging basket plant whose stolons reached the ground and took root.

By plantladylin on Sep 19, 2011 12:21 PM, concerning plant: Strawberry Begonia (Saxifraga stolonifera)

"Strawberry Begonia" is an ornamental flowering plant native to Asia that has been introduced to many other areas of the world. It's a popular house plant for many, but it's actually not a begonia or geranium. It possibly gets the common names Strawberry Begonia and Strawberry Geranium from the appearance of the foliage.

Saxifraga grows in a mounded form and spreads by stolons (runners) that take root when they touch the soil. It prefers bright light and cooler temperatures.The leaves have silvery veining on the top side and a pretty burgundy color on the reverse. The plant produces tiny white flowers in the summer months. Strawberry Begonia is a popular house plant and looks great when potted in a hanging basket, allowing the stolons to dangle beneath the basket.

Page 906 of 918 • 1 ... 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 ... 918

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Hibiscus 'Purpureus Variegatus'"