Page 907 of 986 • 1 ... 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 ... 986

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 5:13 PM, concerning plant: Blue Star (Amsonia hubrichtii)

2011 PPA Plant of the year.
Native to the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas.
MOBOT rates plant at 5 stars.

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 4:29 PM, concerning plant: Common Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis)

Flowers open at night, emitting a creosote aroma that night flying sphinx moths find very attractive. Yellow bloom has 8 yellow stamens.
Indians ate the seeds and first year roots. Plant was introduced to Europe in early 1600's. Europeans ate the root and young shoots in salads.
Flowers emit a creosote smell that attracts night flying Sphinx moths.

By virginiarose on Oct 30, 2011 3:31 PM, concerning plant: Hosta 'Remember Me'

H.'Remember Me' honors Sandy De Boer, a long-time Walters Gardens employee who died of breast cancer in 2000. Portions of sales are donated to the Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 2:51 PM, concerning plant: Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica var. siphilitica)

Likes wet ground, marshes, and fens.
Mesquakies Indians thought that chopping the roots and mixing them into food of quarrelsome couples without their knowledge would avert divorce and cause the pair to love again.

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 2:33 PM, concerning plant: Giant Ragweed (Ambrosia trifida)

Pollen from this plant is a major source of hay fever.
Seeds from this plant have been discovered in several archaeological sites, prompting the idea it may have been cultivated as a food source.
Likes moist soils in low woods, along floodplains, steams, disturbed sites, roadsides, and railroad right of ways.
Weed.

By goldfinch4 on Oct 30, 2011 2:05 PM, concerning plant: Clematis (Clematis fremontii)

Does well growing in limestone soil and tolerates black walnut trees. Also does well in rock gardens, troughs, hillsides and meadows. Member of the Ranunculaceae family. Species is named after John C. Fremont, the 19th century American explorer who first discovered the plant. Over time will form dense foliage clumps.

By goldfinch4 on Oct 30, 2011 1:51 PM, concerning plant: Clematis (Clematis virginiana)

Often confused with sweet autumn clematis (Clematis terniflora or Clematis paniculata). The two vines can be distinguished by their leaves; on a virgin's bower, almost all leaves are have jagged teeth. Sweet autumn clematis has rounded leaves, which are mostly untoothed. Part of the Ranunculaceae (Buttercup) Family. Flowers have no fragrance. All parts of this plant are poisonous to humans. Severe pain in mouth if eaten; skin irritation if touched or inhaled. Symptoms include burning sensation of mouth and mouth ulcers. Skin redness and burning sensation is minor and lasts only a few minutes.

By Calif_Sue on Oct 30, 2011 1:09 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Sorcerer's Hat')

Double 60%

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 11:45 AM, concerning plant: Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana)

Native wild plant that likes disturbed soil in woods, fields, farm lots, and around dwellings. Self seeds. Also called pokeberry and poke salad. Popular rock n roll song by Credence Clearwater in the 70's called 'Pokesalad Annie' alludes to the plant.
Poke salad is prepared with leaves from young plants.
Purple juice (stains) has been used to color foods such as frostings, candies, and beverages; also as a dye (red) and an ink.
Berries are eaten by birds. Some comments say birds act drunk after consuming.

By wcgypsy on Oct 30, 2011 10:43 AM, concerning plant: Scented Geranium (Pelargonium odoratissimum 'Apple')

Everybody should have Apple Scented Geranium. It's an absolutely delightful plant. Nice growth habit, well suited to pot culture. It does reseed. With one pot of this is in my nursery area, it self-sows into the other pots, which is a gift since it is such a wonderful plant.The scent is amazing.

By kqcrna on Oct 30, 2011 9:24 AM, concerning plant: Coral Bells (Heuchera 'Georgia Peach')

I planted two Heuchera Georgia Peach plants two years ago. It is a pretty plant whose peachy foliage maintains its color well through winter in my zone 6 yard. Blooming is most profuse in spring, but with constant deadheading of the flower stalks it bloomed for months, attracting hummingbirds to the many small flowers.

Although it's supposed to be sun tolerant, Georgia Peach has performed better for me with more shade than sun. The plant in more shade is larger and looks more lush. In hot dry sun it tends to decline, but it did survive.

By chelle on Oct 30, 2011 8:44 AM, concerning plant: Glade mallow (Napaea dioica)

I acquired this plant from a nursery a few years ago. I had originally intended to use it as an "interest" plant in my moist woodland garden; showcasing the very large leaves. At the time I wasn't aware that it is a host plant to the Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady) butterfly. This plant's leaves are decimated entirely by these winged beauties for most of the summer if the plant is placed out in the garden. This non-stop feeding frenzy skeletonizes the leaves , but doesn't appear to harm the growth, blooming capacity or longevity of the plant.The second year I had it I planted it in the dirt floor of my unheated greenhouse with much better results. I now have enough of the original plant that I have some in the GH, and some in an out-of-the-way spot in the gardens as a food source for the Painted Lady cats.

This plant is one tough Hombre! The summer temps inside the GH are very hot (surpassing 120 degrees Fahrenheit), the (established) plant gets no additional water from me, and still it manages to survive. It appears to be on some of the endangered species lists for our area. I'm not sure why, unless it's due to the draining of swamplands and moist meadow-lands for other purposes.

By kqcrna on Oct 30, 2011 6:04 AM, concerning plant: Black Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldsturm')

Perennial plant of the year in 1999. If you can't grow anything else, you can grow this plant. It provides bright sunny flowers for weeks in late summer. Its spread is relatively fast and the clump grows dense flowers within a few years. Divide and share with friends every 2 or 3 years.

Deer and rabbits have never eaten mine in the 5 years or so that I have gown this plant. It is also very drought tolerant. It attracts butterflies, and birds enjoy the seeds. Wintersows well. It is a long-lived perennial that loves the heat here in my zone 6 yard.

Compared to rudbeckia hirta, blossoms of Goldsturm are smaller, but more profuse, and overall height is shorter. It is much longer-lived than the hirtas. Its stems are strong and they stand up well to heavy rain and wind.

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 2:17 AM, concerning plant: Field Thistle (Cirsium discolor)

Plant is ranked as a noxious weed. Plant itself is quite 'prickly'. A robust plant. Preferred habitat - fields, pastures, roadsides, open woods, and degraded prairies.
The fluffy down from mature heads is used by the American Goldfinch as a favored nest lining.

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 1:37 AM, concerning plant: Butter Daisy (Melampodium divaricatum)

Heat tolerant. Flowers continuously. Laughs at humid readings. Good at border's edge or in containers.

By gwhizz on Oct 30, 2011 1:18 AM, concerning plant: Calla Lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Green Goddess')

The green arum lily.large green leaves and wonderful spathes of green on white.Grows to 3ft + and absolutely loves a moist surround.It breeds like rabbits, but has been one of my best sellers [here in Australia], because of its unique colouring,..,

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 10:34 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Rhapsody in Time')

I used to grow 'Rhapsody In Time' in my garden. I loved seeing the colorful and beautiful! flowers!

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 10:15 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Seminole Wind')

I used to grow 'Seminole Wind' in my garden and loved growing it! I loved the gorgeous pink flowers! Wonderful Daylily!

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 9:32 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'High Blaze')

I used to grow 'High Blaze' in my garden and really loved it! I loved seeing the beautiful and colorful flowers!

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 9:22 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Huckleberry Candy')

I used to grow 'Huckleberry Candy' in my garden and loved it!

Beautiful flowers!

Page 907 of 986 • 1 ... 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 ... 986

Today's site banner is by bloominholes2fill and is called "Hemerocallis Daylily 'Wild and Wonderful'"