Page 941 of 989 • 1 ... 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 989

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 1:30 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium 'Honey Bee')

Honey Bee is the most common of the Tango lilies growing in my garden and makes a stunning display en mass in my June garden. I find the speckled effect of all the Tango lilies combined with the large blooms really very striking. I bought three colors of Tango lilies, yellow, orange and red but now after four years I have more of the yellow than of the other colors. Therefore, I figure Honey Bee is a stong grower and good multiplier.

By Marilyn on Oct 4, 2011 1:29 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Bull Moose Jackson')

AUNT WIMP X WILD CHILD

By Marilyn on Oct 4, 2011 1:23 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Boogie My Woogie Baby')

(CAPULINA X BEN BACHMAN)

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 1:21 PM, concerning plant: Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea 'Red Knee High')

An impoved version of the older Kims Knee High coneflowers Red Knee High has deeper colored more vivid flowers but the same shorter plant habit. Actually I learned that Red Knee High is a sport of Kims Knee High. While I have both in my garden and like them both I do prefer the more vivid coloring of Red Knee High.

[ Give a thumbs up | 5 replies ]

By Marilyn on Oct 4, 2011 1:20 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Boneless Chicken Ranch')

(PURPLE MANY FACES X THE TINGLER)

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 1:09 PM, concerning plant: Stonecrop (Hylotelephium telephium subsp. telephium 'Picolette')

The only place I have ever seen this plant for sale is at Bluestone Perennials. Like most of the fancier upright sedums, it is not available in any of our local nurseries. I really love the deep dark coloring of the leaves on this shorter of the upright sedums. I was looking for a shorter variety to plant along the front of a mini garden I did in a section of my backyard and Picolette works perfectly.

By Marilyn on Oct 4, 2011 1:08 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Bobby Sox Baby')

(FORESTLAKE COUNTRY DANCER X ROMANTIC STARES) X FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN

By Marilyn on Oct 4, 2011 12:59 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Bobbing for Poodles')

[(CAPULINA X EL GLORIOSOS) X MASCARA SNAKE]

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 12:57 PM, concerning plant: Dahlia Flowered Zinnia (Zinnia 'State Fair Mix')

State Fair is a tall older common variety of zinnia that really works well for the back of the border. Large flowers in a nice range of solid colors. I like to plant it in back of daylily rows as that gives me lots of color all summer long both before and after the daylilies have bloomed.

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 12:35 PM, concerning plant: Butterfly Bush (Buddleja fallowiana 'Lochinch')

I do love the off green silvery leaves of this Butterfly Bush and the lovely shade of the flowers. I am now on my third plant in ten years as Lochinich must only be borderline hardy in my zone. Most winters it is fine, even cold ones with lots of snow on the ground so I have not figured out what it is that makes it die sometimes. I like it so much that I just dig out the dead one and replant a new one in the same spot.

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 12:25 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium 'Kentucky')

Well, I submitted this lily under the name I purchased it under which is Tango Lily Halloween. I see it is now moved to the name of Kentucky lily. I bought both this orange color and the yellow Honeybee Tango lilies some years ago and have had both for about four years now. I bought them from Van Bourgondien and they definitly list them as Tango lilies. So I don't know why the name change.

[ Give a thumbs up | 2 replies ]

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 12:17 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium 'Jacqueline')

I have an entire row of these shorter asiatic lilies planted in the planterbox raised bed in my front yard. I put them behind and in between two rows of daylilies and was looking for just the right lily for this area. Jacqueline lilies are the right height and color for what I needed.

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 12:12 PM, concerning plant: Stonecrop (Hylotelephium spectabile 'Matrona')

The tallest of the tall-type sedums that grow in my garden and my personal favorite sedum. I find it frustrating that the local garden centers do not ever carry Matrona, instead going with rows of the much more common Autumn Joy. Matrona is taller and has larger leaves than Autumn Joy. In my opinion, the plant is much prettier while the flowers are a slightly different color. Attracts bees and other pollinating insects in droves, just as all the upright sedums do.

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 11:59 AM, concerning plant: Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium maculatum 'Gateway')

Gateway is tall, be sure and give it enough room. It does like to spread but slowly. I just pull out the outermost branches if I feel it is getting out of hand. Be sure and plant this where you want it to be the first time as the roots really go deep and it is really, really difficult to move. Seedlings will appear throughout the garden if you leave the dried seedheads, which I do, and do not deadhead after flowering. They are easily yanked out when small so I have never found this to be a problem. Another thing I have noticed is that this plant commonly wilts on hot summer days but recovers quickly come evening. The blooms attract lots of butterflies and bees.

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 11:14 AM, concerning plant: Bush Clover (Lespedeza thunbergii)

A large, rather untidy, sprawling plant with arching branches covered in beautiful rose-pinkish blooms come summer, which really did remind me of pea blossoms, having the same shape. Bush clover actually is in the legume family, same as garden peas. Give it lots of room. In summer it looked more like a shrub to me than a perennial, although it did die down to the roots each winter and start up fresh each spring in the typical perennial habit.

I no longer have mine as I found it just too untidy in spite of the fact that I just love the summer blossoms.

By Newyorkrita on Oct 4, 2011 10:57 AM, concerning plant: Anise Hyssop (Agastache 'Blue Fortune')

In my opinion the best of the blue Hyssops. Blooms on mine were always covered in yellow swallowtail butterflies. Long spikes of masses of tiny blue flowers appear to be one giant fuzzy bloom. Starts blooming in July. Unfortunately the one large plant I had for many years died out over one winter and I have never gotten around to replacing it.

By virginiarose on Oct 4, 2011 7:33 AM, concerning plant: Red Maple (Acer rubrum Red Sunset®)

This is a beautiful tree!!

By goldfinch4 on Oct 4, 2011 3:32 AM, concerning plant: Clematis Bonanza™

The first year I had this plant the critters ate it to the ground when the vines were about 6" long. It never came back that year. The second year it had about six vines and a few flowers. I cut the vines back several times during the summer to promote root growth. The picture of the full plant is the third year. As you can see, it really paid to keep it cut back the second year!

This plant is part of the Festoon™ Evison™ / Poulsen® collection.

[ Give a thumbs up | 3 replies ]

By Marilyn on Oct 4, 2011 1:44 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Bobbie Gratz')

(BETTY WINKLER X FIRE BURST)

By Marilyn on Oct 4, 2011 1:37 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Bo Diddley')

From Dan Bachman's Valley of the Daylilies website:

Brick orange with wide yellow midribs and gold fringed edge above gold throat.

(Startle × Klaatu Barada Nikto)

Page 941 of 989 • 1 ... 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 989

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Hosta Kroosa Regal"