Page 941 of 1020 • 1 ... 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 1020

By kqcrna on Oct 30, 2011 6:04 AM, concerning plant: Black Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldsturm')

Perennial plant of the year in 1999. If you can't grow anything else, you can grow this plant. It provides bright sunny flowers for weeks in late summer. Its spread is relatively fast and the clump grows dense flowers within a few years. Divide and share with friends every 2 or 3 years.

Deer and rabbits have never eaten mine in the 5 years or so that I have gown this plant. It is also very drought tolerant. It attracts butterflies, and birds enjoy the seeds. Wintersows well. It is a long-lived perennial that loves the heat here in my zone 6 yard.

Compared to rudbeckia hirta, blossoms of Goldsturm are smaller, but more profuse, and overall height is shorter. It is much longer-lived than the hirtas. Its stems are strong and they stand up well to heavy rain and wind.

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 2:17 AM, concerning plant: Field Thistle (Cirsium discolor)

Plant is ranked as a noxious weed. Plant itself is quite 'prickly'. A robust plant. Preferred habitat - fields, pastures, roadsides, open woods, and degraded prairies.
The fluffy down from mature heads is used by the American Goldfinch as a favored nest lining.

By jmorth on Oct 30, 2011 1:37 AM, concerning plant: Butter Daisy (Melampodium divaricatum)

Heat tolerant. Flowers continuously. Laughs at humid readings. Good at border's edge or in containers.

By gwhizz on Oct 30, 2011 1:18 AM, concerning plant: Calla Lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Green Goddess')

The green arum lily.large green leaves and wonderful spathes of green on white.Grows to 3ft + and absolutely loves a moist surround.It breeds like rabbits, but has been one of my best sellers [here in Australia], because of its unique colouring,..,

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 10:34 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Rhapsody in Time')

I used to grow 'Rhapsody In Time' in my garden. I loved seeing the colorful and beautiful! flowers!

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 10:15 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Seminole Wind')

I used to grow 'Seminole Wind' in my garden and loved growing it! I loved the gorgeous pink flowers! Wonderful Daylily!

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 9:32 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'High Blaze')

I used to grow 'High Blaze' in my garden and really loved it! I loved seeing the beautiful and colorful flowers!

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 9:22 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Huckleberry Candy')

I used to grow 'Huckleberry Candy' in my garden and loved it!

Beautiful flowers!

By jmorth on Oct 29, 2011 8:28 PM, concerning plant: Orange Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis)

Cornucopia-shaped flowers with spurs (where the nectar is). The fruit is a slender capsule appx. 1" long, which splits and propels the seed when touched. Juice is said to relieve the burning sensation of stinging nettle and to neutralize the sap of poison ivy.
Found in moist to wet woodlands and near banks of streams.

By jmorth on Oct 29, 2011 6:53 PM, concerning plant: Foxtail Lily (Eremurus himalaicus)

Possibly the most impressive plant I've ever grown.

By gwhizz on Oct 29, 2011 6:17 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Nuits de Young')

A dainty,little black moss rose from the 1800's.Very easy grower and increases well by suckers.Purple- black flowers from mossy buds

By gwhizz on Oct 29, 2011 6:04 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium sargentiae)

A lovely Chinese Trumpet species, with perfumed, ivory white flowers, brushed on the back with hints of rose and green.This species produces stem bulbils, which can be easily grown to flowering size in 2-3 years

By jmorth on Oct 29, 2011 6:00 PM, concerning plant: Summer Hyacinth (Ornithogalum viridiflorum)

A South African native. Blooms manifest as hanging bells. Long lasting bloom.

By Dutchlady1 on Oct 29, 2011 5:54 PM, concerning plant: Euphorbia (Euphorbia cactus)

suggest to delete this entry - not a valid name

By gwhizz on Oct 29, 2011 5:36 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium rosthornii)

Flowers are recurving orange turks cap type, similar to l.Henryi, but somewhat smaller and with much straighter stems. Scent is of ripe melons.The nectary furrows are a distinct feature, varying from deep olive through to black in some flowers.

By gwhizz on Oct 29, 2011 5:29 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium pensylvanicum)

An easy and rewarding 'species' (Lilium wilsonii, now a synonym for L. pensylvanicum) to grow, with showy, up facing chalices of bright yellow to golden orange and spotted in purple.

By gwhizz on Oct 29, 2011 5:25 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium chalcedonicum)

Tight recurving flowers of brilliant waxy red. Shallower planting is advised for this bulb, along with the addition of lime to the soil. Widely regarded as a difficult species to grow.

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 3:07 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Evermore Lights')

I used to grow this beauty in my garden and I loved it! Wonderful Daylily and flowers!

I bought this as a new introduction from Mike Grossman of Northern Lights Daylilies and he sent a bonus gift of another new introduction, which was 'Bubble Gum Dreams'! Both beautiful and wonderful Daylilies!

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 2:48 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Bubble Gum Dreams')

I used to grow 'Bubble Gum Dreams' in my garden and loved those beautiful pink flowers!

It was a bonus gift from Mike Grossman when I bought another introduction of his, 'Evermore Lights', which I really loved and used to grow.

By Marilyn on Oct 29, 2011 2:05 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Blueberries and Cream')

I use to grow 'Blueberries and Cream' in my own garden and really loved it! Beautiful Flowers!

Page 941 of 1020 • 1 ... 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 1020

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "My Happy Hibiscus"