Page 4 of 981 • 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 981

By critterologist on Jun 19, 2018 11:14 PM, concerning plant: Bee Balm (Monarda didyma 'Raspberry Wine')

I love this bright "firecracker" plant! Tough enough to be a bit thuggish, if it weren't so welcome. I don't have the classic red 'Jacob Kline', but I've planted a number of pink and purple cultivars, and 'Raspberry Wine' has out-performed them all, lasting through several years of varied winter weather and spreading enthusiastically. It's been offered at our plant swaps, so it clearly does well for others in the Mid-Atlantic area also. Fun fact -- the blooms are edible & sweet!

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 10:07 PM, concerning plant: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus 'Double Red')

I got cuttings from Nancy here in Kentwood Louisiana in Feb. 2018. It's June and 3 of them rooted and are healthy 7" plants. I hoped to find a picture here, but there's none. I will post one when these hopefully 'Red' double beauties bloom. They are part of my double syriacus collection that's reached 8 varieties plus 2 unusual single varieties.

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 9:57 PM, concerning plant: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus 'Lady Stanley')

A generous gardener sent me about 5 cuttings last year to try to root. Three did and are now healthy, growing 7-inch plants. They are part of the double syriacus collection I started 3 years ago. I hope to see the beautiful double pink flower this summer on at least one of them.

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 9:49 PM, concerning plant: Rose Of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus 'Diana')

I got seeds and cuttings of 'Diana' from Samantha last fall. They rooted and the seeds were sown Feb.2018 and are now 6" plants. I hope to see a flower by this fall at least from the cuttings I rooted. I heard the seeds aren't viable, but Sam said she often finds volunteers under her large mature tree. Well, her seeds obviously have syriacus leaves, so we will see.

By Cyclaminist on Jun 19, 2018 6:13 PM, concerning plant: Late Figwort (Scrophularia marilandica)

A native plant that has tall candelabra-like flower clusters with small nondescript cup-like flowers. The flowers are good for attracting bees and wasps because they produce quite a bit of nectar. I grow this in a rain garden among other mostly tall native plants. To extend the blooming season, plant Early Figwort (Scrophularia lanceolata).

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 4:53 PM, concerning plant: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus 'Danica')

I must acknowledge keithp2012 for sending me a plant of this beautiful double syriacus. I'd been hunting for it a couple of years to add to my collection of doubles. He rooted it last year (2017) for me and then sent a picture of its 1st flower to show it was healthy and well rooted before mailing to me. It has gone through a full deciduous cycle, grown a couple of inches, put on all new leaves and is developing a bud at this time, June 2018. I can hardly wait to see that multi-colored flower in person.

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 4:40 PM, concerning plant: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus Lavender Chiffon™)

Back in Feb. 2018 another Louisiana gardener sent me cuttings of this double purple beauty to root. I'm happy to say 3 of 4 rooted and are getting nice new growth now in mid June. They will slowly be moved into more sun, as they acclimate, from a filtered morning sun area, where they rooted on my porch. I'm thrilled to add them to my collection of double syriacus Roses of Sharon.

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 4:29 PM, concerning plant: Shrimp Plant (Justicia brandegeeana 'Fruit Cocktail')

A neighbor gave me a small plant a few weeks ago. I admired her dense 24 inch x 24 inch plant that was in full bloom out in full sun in a flower bed. She said it survived the 21* coldest temps we had this past winter in south Louisiana, maybe because it's on the south side of her brick home near some evergreen plants for insulation. Well, I'm excited to have a plant of my own thanks to a sharing gardener.

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 4:21 PM, concerning plant: Golden Shrimp Plant (Pachystachys lutea)

I got a 6" plant in a trade in Feb. 2018. It's mid June and it's now 12" tall and has its 1st yellow flower. It grows in a pot on my patio in filtered sun. The only problem I'm trying to solve is: Which bug is chewing at the leaves. It's not snail damage, but maybe a grass hopper, as it eats half a leaf some days. I have sprayed it with liquid Sevin with no results, so I'm going to use some Bayer Rose & Flower 3 in 1 granules as a systemic approach.

By tabbycat on Jun 19, 2018 2:53 PM, concerning plant: Rosemary (Salvia rosmarinus)

It's mid June and my mature 5 year old plant is starting to produce small pale-blue flowers. It's about 12 inches tall and wide in the top of a 15-inch tall clay strawberry pot. I planted it there 4 years ago and it lives in a part-sun location. I water it with collected rain water every other day particularly for the other herbs in the pockets. All grow well, so drainage must be right. I use a lot of rosemary, so the branches get tipped regularly. About once a month I water the pot with Miracle-Gro added to the water.

By farmerdill on Jun 19, 2018 10:56 AM, concerning plant: Sweet Corn Su (Zea mays 'Silver 'N Gold')

An se hybrid bicolor. It is a week or more later than Cuppa Joe so it is not as early as Ferry Morse suggests. Ears are a nice size 8 inch with 14 to 16 rows. Excellent flavor and texture.

By farmerdill on Jun 19, 2018 7:55 AM, concerning plant: Bush Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris 'Big Kahuna')

This is a large bean that performs reasonably well. Falls well short of Jumbo in this category. Medium yield on tall plant. There is some tendency for plant to fall over. Grade "C"

By tabbycat on Jun 18, 2018 10:04 PM, concerning plant: Hibiscus (Hibiscus acetosella 'Panama Red')

I'm in zone 9, and so far in 2018 my potted plant has grown from 12 inches to 4 feet and is flowering. I cut it back to 12" in Dec. so it's easy to bring in my garage during winter freezes. I also put the cuttings in water to start a few new plants just in case I lose my plant. Last year the plant got 6 feet tall by fall. It would have gotten taller, but I trimmed it every couple of months, so it got bushier. It's a such an eye-catching color.

By tabbycat on Jun 18, 2018 9:50 PM, concerning plant: Crocosmia (Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora 'George Davison')

My all time favorite! Love that yellow and mixing it with my reds and oranges. Makes a nice bouquet since all my crocosmias are starting to bloom now that it's mid-June. These are a little shorter than some others I have, so I grow them in a large pot out on my full sun patio to attract butterflies and hummingbirds close to where we sit outside.

By tabbycat on Jun 18, 2018 9:43 PM, concerning plant: Crocosmia (Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora 'Emily McKenzie')

It's mid-June and mine are full of bud spires that will open soon. They will bloom about a month before finishing. They are hummingbird magnets. They also make a nice cut flower that lasts a couple of days indoors.

By tabbycat on Jun 18, 2018 9:37 PM, concerning plant: Crocosmia 'Emberglow'

It's mid-June and my 'Emberglow' crocosmias are starting to flower. They are a favorite because they have variations of orange to red on each flower. They also get red as the flower matures, adding to that textural element. They make a good cut flower that lasts a couple of days indoors.

By tabbycat on Jun 18, 2018 7:57 PM, concerning plant: Snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus 'Lipstick Silver')

I started these from seeds I got in a seed swap here in November 2017. They have grown well but I was disappointed that they are almost solid white with a little reddish pink on some flowers. Where's the Lipstick & Silver as named? Oh, well, I learned something and maybe someone else will benefit, too.

By tabbycat on Jun 18, 2018 7:52 PM, concerning plant: Sweet Kumquat (Citrus japonica)

I have 'Meiwa' round fruited. It's June and it's full of fragrant flowers at this time. I have a small yard, so when I bought the 3' plant, I put it in a 32 gal. Rubbermaid trash can with holes in the bottom. It's 3 years later now and it's 5' tall x 3' across. It grows and produces well in 5 hours of morning/mid-day sun then bright light the rest of the day. I add fruit tree fertilizer twice a year. I collect about 2 gallons of fruit in Dec., which I make into canned marmalade.

By tabbycat on Jun 18, 2018 7:34 PM, concerning plant: Silver Philodendron (Scindapsus pictus 'Argyraeus')

I got 3 small cuttings in a trade 2 years ago. They rooted in water in about 2 months, then went in soil. They have grown in 1 pot as one plant successfully on an east window sill in my bathroom, getting filtered morning sun about 4 hours through mini blinds and then bright light the rest of the day. It's not a philodendron, so it doesn't need constantly moist soil. I allow the soil to dry out a little before watering once a week. I do spritz it twice a week to add to the humidity indoors in air conditioning. Otherwise, the leaf tips get brown.

By AquaEyes on Jun 18, 2018 6:43 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Nouveau Monde')

While what was sold by Vintage Gardens as 'Nouveau Monde' is the rose shown in Steve812's picture, that rose isn't the true 'Nouveau Monde'. The original rose by that name was a purple Gallica. The rose Vintage Gardens obtained from Europe is a large once-blooming pink Hybrid China. I was the only person posting pictures of this rose on HelpMeFind, and the admins there decided to create a new file for the imposter that was sold under that name -- "Nouveau Monde -- in commerce as" -- for the sake of accuracy. It's a fine plant, even if it's not the original. And I'm ecstatic that someone else has it -- so far, that makes only five I know of in the US, but surely there are more.

:-)

~Christopher

Page 4 of 981 • 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 981

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Magnolia"