Page 4 of 943 • 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 943

By DaylilySLP on Feb 20, 2018 7:25 PM, concerning plant: Euphorbia (Euphorbia hypericifolia Breathless® Blush)

Hybridized by Trees-Chou, 2009 (PP21440)

By jmorth on Feb 20, 2018 7:17 PM, concerning plant: Culver's Root (Veronicastrum virginicum)

This Illinois wildflower is a tall (up to 6 ft.), graceful plant found in open woods and moist prairies throughout the state, Dense clusters of flowers reside atop branching candelabra-looking flower stems. Stamens protrude a bit beyond the petals and make a noticeable visual impact. Culver's Root blooms June through September.The finely toothed leaves, up to 6 inches long and an inch wide, grow in whorls up the stem. Native Americans and early doctors employed it in various medical applications from fevers to venereal diseases,

By DaylilySLP on Feb 20, 2018 6:29 PM, concerning plant: Coastal Plain Joe-Pye Weed (Eutrochium dubium 'Phantom')

Hybridized by Oudshoorn, 2006 (PP18354)

By farmerdill on Feb 20, 2018 6:11 PM, concerning plant: Potato (Solanum tuberosum 'Green Mountain')

This one is a blast from the past. I never grew it, but when I was a kid there were two older families in the community who grew Green Mountain as a fall potato. They seemed to get good yields. Many of us grew fall potatoes but in most cases we grew the main crop in the spring, dug them late June to early July, left the small ones lying in the sun until they greened up, and then planted them for fall potatoes. I was told that Green Mountain did not do well as a spring potato. Poor yield and very strong flavor. But if grown in fall and dug after frost killed the vines, good yield and flavor.

By farmerdill on Feb 20, 2018 5:39 PM, concerning plant: Potato (Solanum tuberosum 'Anoka')

I ran across Anoka seed potatoes in 1969. Grew them in the New River Valley and again in central Virginia in 1970. Excellent yield in the New River Valley. Average in Central Virginia and seemed to prefer the cooler summers. Excellent potato in the wax class. More oblate than round, shallow eyes.

By bxncbx on Feb 20, 2018 4:08 PM, concerning plant: Bugbane (Actaea 'Queen of Sheba')

I saw this plant growing in the New York Botanical Gardens in 2017. This is a very tall plant with small cream-colored flowers that are individually not particularly attractive. What drew me to the plant was the scent. I could smell it several feet away and it smelled heavenly! If you like the scent of lilacs in the spring, this plant will provide you with a similar scent in the late summer/early autumn. Another plus is that pollinators (especially bees) are very attracted to it. The plants I saw were blooming in late October. This would be a very desirable plant for the back of the border, provided you could place it somewhere where you could easily get a whiff of its fragrance. I have a very small garden and typically grow only dwarf plants, but I would definitely make space for this in my garden!

By ILPARW on Feb 20, 2018 3:30 PM, concerning plant: Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)

This is an absolutely wonderful perennial that should only be grown in a garden or landscape if the soil is moist or draining wet. It prefers partial shade from the heat of the day, but can grow in full sun. It is a short-lived perennial, but it often self-sows to replace itself. Its native range is from New Brunswick through southern Ontario down to Florida to Oklahoma to Nevada to California. Some are sold by most conventional nurseries, and most native plant nurseries sell them. This is a great hummingbird flower that blooms fairly long in July into September.

By cwhitt on Feb 20, 2018 3:22 PM, concerning plant: Amur Honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii)

I have mixed feelings about Amur Honeysuckle. It is considered an invasive and noxious plant here in Ohio, and I just heard that it is now banned from sale here. It does seem to have taken over along the parking lot of my workplace, and it crowds out other plants. People are encouraged to destroy it if they find it growing. On the flip side of that, it makes a nice barrier hedge, smells good when in bloom, and keeps its berries into winter (which the birds will not eat). It is quite a beautiful sight to see when the snow coats the red berries.

By ILPARW on Feb 20, 2018 3:13 PM, concerning plant: Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica)

This Great Blue Lobelia is a glorious perennial for moist or draining wet soils that prefers some partial shade, but can do full sun. It is a long bloomer in August into early October. It is an easy and reliable plant, but it does not like strong completion from bigger plants. It often self-sows a lot, even getting seedlings into nearby pots. It is longer lived than the similar Cardinalflower. It is easy to transplant with shallow fibrous roots. Some are sold by many conventional nurseries and by most native plant nurseries. I find it occasionally planted around in yards; it should be used much more. Its native range is from Maine to southern Manitoba to Colorado into Texas through Alabama to North Carolina.

By ILPARW on Feb 20, 2018 2:15 PM, concerning plant: Culver's Root (Veronicastrum virginicum)

This is one of my favorite perennials that is easy to grow, neat & clean, and very reliable. Its native range is from New England to southern Manitoba down to eastern Texas to northwest Florida. Its wonderful multiple white spikes bloom about 3 or 4 weeks and are visited by many bees, wasps, butterflies, and other pollinators. It is easy to divide and reset with its fibrous root system. When the clumps get big and old, the stems can lodge over some. Almost all native nurseries sell some, and some larger, diverse conventional nurseries also sell some. It is not common in most yards or landscapes, though it is used in native prairie and meadow restorations and in naturalistic landscapes. It does make a good addition to any perennial garden or landscape.

By cwhitt on Feb 20, 2018 2:13 PM, concerning plant: Amaryllis (Hippeastrum mandonii)

Right now (Feb, 2018) Mandonii is almost impossible to get, and the cost of a mature bulb is usually quite high -- over $240 each -- if you can even find one. Even the seeds are pricey: I paid $10 for each seed. The only place I could find either -- bulbs or seeds -- was on eBay, and the offering is scarce -- few and far between. The seeds I bought did grow, and after almost 3 years are getting big enough to expect a possible bud in the next year, I hope. So, if you really want Mandonii, expect to pay a premium price, and buy it as soon as it is offered. If one is offered, it sells immediately, so do not wait more than a moment or two. Either that, or DO wait -- probably at least a few more years until there are more of them on the market. Seeds are a little easier to get, but they will take 3 or more years to bloom. It is your gamble to decide whether mature bulbs will be on the market before your seeds get big enough to bloom. As for me, I took the gamble.

By plantmanager on Feb 20, 2018 2:08 PM, concerning plant: Flame Violet (Episcia cupreata)

Episcias are warm climate plants known for their colorful leaves and beautiful blooms. They make wonderful houseplants if you give them some good light and humidity. Never put them into direct sunlight because that will burn them. They should never be totally dry. I keep them slightly moist all of the time. Water from the bottom, and do not mist them. A pebble tray of water is best for increasing humidity. They require more water than their relatives, the African violets. Episcias are happiest with a temperature of about 60 to 70 degrees, although mine have done well up to about 90 degrees. Never let them go lower than 50 degrees or they die.

These plants put out runners so they make beautiful hanging baskets. If you'd like more flowers, cut most of the runners off. They can be propagated to give you more plants, or plants to share with friends.

I feed them every 2 weeks with a balanced fertilizer. Give these wonderful old plants a try! They used to be much more common, but not many know about them now.

[ Give a thumbs up | 6 replies ]

By robertduval14 on Feb 20, 2018 1:57 PM, concerning plant: Highbush Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum 'Rubel')

Smallish, but very sweet late season variety.

By cwhitt on Feb 20, 2018 1:10 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Wildfire')

This rose has been in my Ohio garden for about 16 years now. It and a yellow rose called Radiant Perfume are the only 2 roses that I have never had a problem with. It has been subjected to drought and high humidity and still grows well with not too much black spot. This is a great-looking rose for a vase. The only regret I have about it is that the color does fade after a few days, and it turns from a fiery orange to a lighter peach color. I wish it would keep its brilliant color. Also, I do wish it had a stronger scent, but even without a strong scent, it is well worth having in my garden just for the great bud shape and color. It is a rose you will really want to cut and show off in a vase. A great addition to my small area of garden space.

By cwhitt on Feb 20, 2018 1:02 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Radiant Perfume')

I have had this rose in my Ohio garden for about15 years now, and it is still doing great. It has come through drought and excessive humidity, and the leaves always remain a dark leathery green, with very little black spot. It is the strongest smelling rose I own. I put a single rose in a vase and put it on my desk at work - it scents the entire office. I have been very impressed with it - it is one of only 2 roses that have remained strong and trouble free in my rose bed over the years. Since I live in a condo, the space it is growing in is rather small, but it still continues to thrive. My favorite rose!

By blue23rose on Feb 20, 2018 12:55 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Parfait')

The 4-foot scapes on Parfait are skinny and do tend to lean slightly, but never lie over. Like many older cultivars, it does not have a bloom size listed in the AHS database, but it is between 4-5 inches and has a wonderful trumpet shape. Each scape produces about 10-12 blooms and it multiplies fast, making a quick clump in just a few years.

By bxncbx on Feb 20, 2018 12:14 PM, concerning plant: Snapdragon (Antirrhinum Aromas™ Red Spice)

I grew the snapdragon Aromas Red Spice in 2017. I grew the plants from seed and transplanted them outside in the Spring. The plants grew well but never reached their full height. They may have been stunted by not having enough water since they were planted close to a mature pine tree and in full sun. The flowers were a deep red color but had very little in the way of scent. Considering that all the many snapdragons I've grown over the years had absolutely no scent these are an improvement. However, if you are expecting a plant with a heavy, wafting scent you will be disappointed. But even without much scent they are one of the prettiest red snapdragons I have grown.

By bxncbx on Feb 20, 2018 12:08 PM, concerning plant: White Snakeroot (Ageratina altissima)

White Snakeroot grows wild in my garden in NYC. At first I thought it was a weed but later found out that it was a native plant. I always make sure to leave some plants when I'm weeding my garden in spring and summer. I find the small white flowers to be quite attractive. It also blooms late in the summer/early fall when hardly anything else in the garden is blooming. The pollinators flock to it! The seeds are wind dispersed, but I haven't found it to be horribly invasive. The seedlings are easy enough to pull up and so far, none of my neighbors' yards have sprouted seedlings. This despite my typically having 10-20 plants flowering each year. I tend to have the same patch of them come up each year with a few stragglers about 3-4 feet away. My main patch is in partial to full shade and the plants grow about two feet tall.

By farmerdill on Feb 20, 2018 12:06 PM, concerning plant: Potato (Solanum tuberosum 'Irish Cobbler')

This was the favorite potato of my youth. Great yield and trouble free. Especially desired for dishes using boiled potatoes. Not so good for baking. They do have deep eyes which makes peeling more difficult. This plus the Kennebec was a better baking potato led to Irish Cobbler loss in popularity to Kennebec.

By lauribob on Feb 20, 2018 9:53 AM, concerning plant: Yarrow (Achillea millefolium 'Cerise Queen')

I see the other photos for this cultivar show much more vibrant colors than mine. I wonder if this is perhaps due to soil ph - my soil being pretty alkaline. Mine will fade to a washed out, pale blush of pink by the time they're about done blooming in the rather poor, sandy soil where I have planted these.

Page 4 of 943 • 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 943

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called " Verbena"