Cactus and Succulents forum: Beautiful Melocactus matanzanus

Page 2 of 2 • 1 2
Views: 1651, Replies: 37 » Jump to the end
Name: Stefan
SE europe(balkans) (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Garden Procrastinator Bulbs Foliage Fan
Purslane Bromeliad Container Gardener Houseplants Sedums Sempervivums
Image
skopjecollection
Dec 30, 2018 2:04 PM CST
I bought melocactus seeds legally from koehress. Probably one of the better germination rates ive had. Think i may have some from last year....
Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Dec 30, 2018 2:08 PM CST
skopjecollection said:I bought melocactus seeds legally from koehress. Probably one of the better germination rates ive had. Think i may have some from last year....

But wasn't that a European Union transaction? The CITES rules are different for USA to Europe transactions.

Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Dec 30, 2018 2:13 PM CST
mcvansoest said:James, I think you can actually see some incipient banding on a few of the plants in the picture with the 4 Melocacti ……………

I don't see that, Thijs

Edit: forgive my old eyes please, Thijs - I do see it now!

[Last edited by jamesicus - Dec 30, 2018 2:28 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1879532 (3)
Name: Stefan
SE europe(balkans) (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Garden Procrastinator Bulbs Foliage Fan
Purslane Bromeliad Container Gardener Houseplants Sedums Sempervivums
Image
skopjecollection
Dec 30, 2018 2:15 PM CST
jamesicus said:
But wasn't that a European Union transaction? The CITES rules are different for USA to Europe transactions.



I dunno. ordered once from cactusstore, but the seeds never came.....
Explains why i guess....
Name: Shawn S.
Hampton, Virginia (Zone 8b)
Butterflies Morning Glories Annuals Irises Dahlias Zinnias
Orchids Region: United States of America Peonies
Image
ShawnSteve
Dec 30, 2018 2:22 PM CST
@jamesicus Thank you so much for sharing with us, photos & particularly of that Uebelmannia of yours. I thought there was a form of Melocactus, that went by the name of 'super blue' & it was an awesome color form ,was very blue like that columnar Hertlingiaanus azureus, variety (or ssp.?) with golden colored wool, or 'hairs' along the ribs. Do you recall that one, from many years ago? The color contrast was strikingly complimentary & was grown from seeds...
Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Dec 30, 2018 2:34 PM CST
ShawnSteve said:@jamesicus Thank you so much for sharing with us, photos & particularly of that Uebelmannia of yours. I thought there was a form of Melocactus, that went by the name of 'super blue' & it was an awesome color form ,was very blue like that columnar Hertlingiaanus azureus, variety (or ssp.?) with golden colored wool, or 'hairs' along the ribs. Do you recall that one, from many years ago? The color contrast was strikingly complimentary & was grown from seeds...

You are most welcome Shawn. I believe you are describing Melocactus azureus:


Thumb of 2018-12-30/jamesicus/16ed29
Thumb of 2018-12-30/jamesicus/1ede28

Edit: I missed your text about the golden wool/hairs. Now I think you were describing Pilosocereus fulvilanatus? I will see if I can find a pic in my archives.

[Last edited by jamesicus - Dec 30, 2018 2:38 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1879552 (6)
Name: Bob
The Kau Desert, Hawaii (Zone 12a)
Image
OrchidBob
Dec 30, 2018 2:37 PM CST
CITES regulates the international transportation of 'endangered' plants and animals.
It applies to all nations equally. At least the 175 nations who signed the agreement.
It does not apply to seeds.
Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Dec 30, 2018 2:50 PM CST
OrchidBob said:CITES regulates the international transportation of 'endangered' plants and animals.
It applies to all nations equally. At least the 175 nations who signed the agreement.
It does not apply to seeds.

Yes but the European Union and its constituent countries is considered a single entity by CITES and therefor cacti & succulents (and parts including seeds) can be freely traded between those countries. Otherwise, all cacti and their parts (including seeds) that are classified CITES Appendix I (such as all Discocactus and several species of Melocactus) are prohibited in International trade. CITES Appendix II Cactus seeds can be lawfully traded internationally but Phytosanitary certificates provided by the sender are usually required by the receiving country.

Added via Edit: I am not an expert on CITES but I believe that is what it says.

[Last edited by jamesicus - Dec 31, 2018 3:24 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1879561 (8)
Name: Shawn S.
Hampton, Virginia (Zone 8b)
Butterflies Morning Glories Annuals Irises Dahlias Zinnias
Orchids Region: United States of America Peonies
Image
ShawnSteve
Dec 30, 2018 4:22 PM CST
Exactly, James! Yes, that is the super blue one, in the middle photo, I was thinking about. As for the columnar, I had thought Hertlingianus, but may be it is Pilosocereus. Thanks.
Yeah, with CITES seeds, even Mesa Garden doesn't even want to deal with that hassle & so it no longer sells those species, to any, out of country seed orders. any more. Not sure of any future probability, that it may continue again, in the future.. Have a Happy New Year, James ! Shawn
Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Dec 30, 2018 4:31 PM CST
ShawnSteve said:Exactly, James! Yes, that is the super blue one, in the middle photo ……………

Thumbs up

…………… Have a Happy New Year, James ! Shawn

And a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you, Shawn!

Name: Stefan
SE europe(balkans) (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Garden Procrastinator Bulbs Foliage Fan
Purslane Bromeliad Container Gardener Houseplants Sedums Sempervivums
Image
skopjecollection
Dec 30, 2018 11:49 PM CST
jamesicus said:
Yes but the European Union and its constituent countries is considered a single entity by CITES and therefor cacti & succulents (and parts including seeds) can be freely traded between those countries. Otherwise, all cacti and their parts (including seeds) that are classified CITES Appendix I (such as all Discocactus and several species of Melocactus) are prohibited in International trade. CITES Appendix II Cactus seeds can be lawfully traded internationally but Phytosanitary certificates provided by the sender are usually required by the receiving country.


Im not in the eu.....
I can receive seeds, but live plants have to have a certificate...not that it matters anyway...

Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Dec 31, 2018 3:20 AM CST
The temp was below freezing at my house for several hours during the night - I am anxious to see how the rest of these Melocactus matanzanus fared in an unheated greenhouse at Bach's Cactus Nursery!

[Last edited by jamesicus - Dec 31, 2018 3:42 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1879850 (12)
Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Dec 31, 2018 5:03 PM CST
jamesicus said:The temp was below freezing at my house for several hours during the night - I am anxious to see how the rest of these Melocactus matanzanus fared in an unheated greenhouse at Bach's Cactus Nursery!

Dan's unheated greenhouses are well insulated with low drop ceilings. They are large and therefore hold the day's warmth in at night - the temp only got down into the high 30s last night - good enough for the Melocacti.

I have grown a lot of Melocactus matanzanus from seed over the years but this is the first time I have produced seedlings that have this "banding" - They make a nice centerpiece for dish gardens:

Thumb of 2018-12-31/jamesicus/708fa8

[Last edited by jamesicus - Dec 31, 2018 5:24 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1880190 (13)
Name: Shawn S.
Hampton, Virginia (Zone 8b)
Butterflies Morning Glories Annuals Irises Dahlias Zinnias
Orchids Region: United States of America Peonies
Image
ShawnSteve
Dec 31, 2018 7:52 PM CST
@jamesicus Oh, I was under the impression that it was due to slowing of growth, from dormancy.. But you are almost certain, this "banding " is something attributed to those grown in a certain batch, & you have some, which is unusual for the typical species? If so, lucky you !
I can't recall whom it was, that grew that "super blue" form. Do you recall? By any chance, was it either you, or was it from some other collector? Perhaps a Nursery in Southern California? Gotta love that color blue, in a cactus & you still have it- Great!... Best wishes for the New Year, Shawn
Name: Stefan
SE europe(balkans) (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Garden Procrastinator Bulbs Foliage Fan
Purslane Bromeliad Container Gardener Houseplants Sedums Sempervivums
Image
skopjecollection
Dec 31, 2018 11:16 PM CST
jamesicus said:
Dan's unheated greenhouses are well insulated with low drop ceilings. They are large and therefore hold the day's warmth in at night - the temp only got down into the high 30s last night - good enough for the Melocacti.

I have grown a lot of Melocactus matanzanus from seed over the years but this is the first time I have produced seedlings that have this "banding" - They make a nice centerpiece for dish gardens:

Thumb of 2018-12-31/jamesicus/708fa8


Is that a matucana in there?
Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Jan 1, 2019 2:14 PM CST
skopjecollection said:
Is that a matucana in there?

I don't know, Stefan - that is one of Dan's planters - I will ask him next time I go out there.

Name: James
Tucson, Arizona (Zone 9b)
Image
jamesicus
Jan 5, 2019 3:55 PM CST
A few more Melocactus matanzanus:

Thumb of 2019-01-05/jamesicus/736090

Thumb of 2019-01-05/jamesicus/56fcbf

Thumb of 2019-01-05/jamesicus/8738b5

Thumb of 2019-01-05/jamesicus/5c7d57

Thumb of 2019-01-05/jamesicus/9a018d

Thumb of 2019-01-05/jamesicus/1314f4
Name: Nancy Mumpton
Sun Lakes, AZ (Zone 9b)
I'm NancySLAZ on some sites
Charter ATP Member Native Plants and Wildflowers Cactus and Succulents Bromeliad Garden Photography Bookworm
Region: Arizona Enjoys or suffers hot summers Region: United States of America Region: Southwest Gardening Dog Lover Container Gardener
Image
nmumpton
Jan 6, 2019 1:15 PM CST
I had Melocactus die every time I tried to grow in a pot so a friend of mine gave me these 2 a couple of years ago and I planted in the ground. No cephaliums yet but they have both grown and doing well. Under a shrub, because I live in Phoenix and too much sun burns them I learned from experience!
Thumb of 2019-01-06/nmumpton/46a33d


Thumb of 2019-01-06/nmumpton/b860e7

Big one is Melocactus caesius and small one is Melocactus ernestii
"Gardening is a humbling experience"--Martha Stewart
[Last edited by nmumpton - Jan 6, 2019 1:17 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1883480 (18)

Page 2 of 2 • 1 2

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Cactus and Succulents forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Spring"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.