Tropicals forum: The view from the door

Views: 627, Replies: 18 » Jump to the end
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Mar 8, 2019 11:58 AM CST
Back in the 80's today, working inside and outside of the tropical house. The view from the door today:
Thumb of 2019-03-08/Gina1960/c6183b


Thumb of 2019-03-08/Gina1960/6adfcc

Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!
Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Plays in the sandbox Greenhouse Sempervivums
Bromeliad Adeniums Morning Glories Avid Green Pages Reviewer Brugmansias Garden Ideas: Level 1
Image
plantmanager
Mar 8, 2019 12:07 PM CST
Woohoo! What a great jungle! No wonder you keep making new discoveries! I love it.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Beverly
Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico (Zone 11a)
Butterflies Organic Gardener Tropicals Native Plants and Wildflowers Seed Starter
Image
vitrsna
Mar 8, 2019 12:25 PM CST
I agree with @plantmanager. what a fun jungle. There is a tree-like plant in the fore ground of the 2nd photo and i can't quite make out the leaves. Do you know what it is?

Here is part of a jungle going crazy during the rainy season in my prior garden.

Thumb of 2019-03-08/vitrsna/753f46

[Last edited by vitrsna - Mar 8, 2019 12:46 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1923627 (3)
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Mar 8, 2019 2:06 PM CST
vitrsna said: I agree with @plantmanager. what a fun jungle. There is a tree-like plant in the fore ground of the 2nd photo and i can't quite make out the leaves. Do you know what it is?

Here is part of a jungle going crazy during the rainy season in my prior garden.

Thumb of 2019-03-08/vitrsna/753f46


Young Caryota gigas palm
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!
Name: Ursula
Fair Lawn NJ, zone 6b
Orchids Cactus and Succulents Region: New Jersey Region: Pennsylvania Native Plants and Wildflowers Greenhouse
Ponds Keeper of Koi Forum moderator Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Adeniums Spiders!
Image
Ursula
Mar 8, 2019 2:26 PM CST
Awesome view! Lovey dubby
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Mar 8, 2019 2:30 PM CST
Wait till the heliconias and Torch gingers start to bloom!!!!!
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!
Name: Sherri
Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b)
Butterflies Birds Bee Lover Bromeliad Tropicals Foliage Fan
Container Gardener Salvias Cactus and Succulents Native Plants and Wildflowers Adeniums Orchids
Image
sunkissed
Mar 10, 2019 7:57 AM CST
Gina, what a nice sized greenhouse, I'd probably live in it...LOL.

@vitrsna Hey Beverly I remember you from DG, aren't you the one I sent Mexican flame vines seeds too? I see it is your avatar Smiling . Your jungle is looking good. Thumbs up Thumbs up



Name: Beverly
Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico (Zone 11a)
Butterflies Organic Gardener Tropicals Native Plants and Wildflowers Seed Starter
Image
vitrsna
Mar 10, 2019 1:19 PM CST
@sunkissed oh yes, i was desperate for this vine and i remember i was so hopeful and grateful for the seeds you sent me. At the time in the US and UK every one was saying the seeds are sterile. I wish i could tell you my avatar was from your seeds, but true to their reputation they did not germinate. I looked in Mexico for these seeds and/or a plant for over 3 years. One day i was walking on the mountain/volcano and spotted a neglected vine growing on an abandoned shed. As i got closer i could not believe my eyes to see it was the "senecio" i had been looking for. I took 3 cuttings, and hurried back to town to get the cuttings in water. Interestingly, these seeds turned out to be viable and also the vine had a heavenly fragrance. I thought to send seeds to you and other people who were interested. The seeds were plentiful but they had a limited viablity time. Of the seeds i sent to the US, the 4 weeks it took the seeds to arrive was evidently too long because no one was able to germinate them. I had an 8 foot arch built for this vine and it was abundant and butterflies i had never seen before came to the garden and the humming birds nested in it.

After 4 years under an exploding volcano there was hardly a butterfly to be seen, wisely they re-routed to avoid the ash but the hummers remained. Colima City had become much hotter and drier and more populated. The plants were mostly sunburned. I moved to Manzanillo on the Pacific Ocean of Colima State in June of 2018 and plopped myself down in a condo unit on a mini mountain overlooking Santiago Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The good news is i have 3 good sized terraces to plant to my heart's content. Plus i am in the middle of a Barcino forest that i consider my back and front yards full of fauna and flora.

Okay, i have been very naughty *Blush* and i apologize to Gina for putting too many words on your thread. I will look forward to @Gina1960 continuing the thread as new life comes to her wonderful jungle. And i don't really mind if you want to send me to the Sandbox Rolling my eyes.


[Last edited by vitrsna - Mar 10, 2019 1:24 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1924953 (8)
Name: Sherri
Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b)
Butterflies Birds Bee Lover Bromeliad Tropicals Foliage Fan
Container Gardener Salvias Cactus and Succulents Native Plants and Wildflowers Adeniums Orchids
Image
sunkissed
Mar 10, 2019 1:28 PM CST
@vitrsna
Well glad to know you found your vine, good things come to those who wait. I know the seeds on my vine didn't work for you, they haven't for anyone, so sterile they are...my vine still thrives. Thumbs up Best wishes in your new place, sounds lovely.

Ok, Gina, back to tropical view...here're mine from my backdoor.
Thumb of 2019-03-10/sunkissed/7eb550

Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Plays in the sandbox Greenhouse Sempervivums
Bromeliad Adeniums Morning Glories Avid Green Pages Reviewer Brugmansias Garden Ideas: Level 1
Image
plantmanager
Mar 10, 2019 3:12 PM CST
That's gorgeous, Sherri!
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Alice
Ponte Vedra, FL (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Master Gardener: Florida Organic Gardener Enjoys or suffers hot summers Aquaponics Hibiscus
Orchids Fruit Growers Tropicals Hummingbirder Garden Photography Container Gardener
Image
ardesia
Mar 10, 2019 4:26 PM CST
Sighing! Sighing! and more Sighing! such beautiful jungles among us. Lovey dubby
Minds are like parachutes; they work better when they are open.
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Mar 10, 2019 6:21 PM CST
vitrsna said:@sunkissed oh yes, i was desperate for this vine and i remember i was so hopeful and grateful for the seeds you sent me. At the time in the US and UK every one was saying the seeds are sterile. I wish i could tell you my avatar was from your seeds, but true to their reputation they did not germinate. I looked in Mexico for these seeds and/or a plant for over 3 years. One day i was walking on the mountain/volcano and spotted a neglected vine growing on an abandoned shed. As i got closer i could not believe my eyes to see it was the "senecio" i had been looking for. I took 3 cuttings, and hurried back to town to get the cuttings in water. Interestingly, these seeds turned out to be viable and also the vine had a heavenly fragrance. I thought to send seeds to you and other people who were interested. The seeds were plentiful but they had a limited viablity time. Of the seeds i sent to the US, the 4 weeks it took the seeds to arrive was evidently too long because no one was able to germinate them. I had an 8 foot arch built for this vine and it was abundant and butterflies i had never seen before came to the garden and the humming birds nested in it.

After 4 years under an exploding volcano there was hardly a butterfly to be seen, wisely they re-routed to avoid the ash but the hummers remained. Colima City had become much hotter and drier and more populated. The plants were mostly sunburned. I moved to Manzanillo on the Pacific Ocean of Colima State in June of 2018 and plopped myself down in a condo unit on a mini mountain overlooking Santiago Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The good news is i have 3 good sized terraces to plant to my heart's content. Plus i am in the middle of a Barcino forest that i consider my back and front yards full of fauna and flora.

Okay, i have been very naughty *Blush* and i apologize to Gina for putting too many words on your thread. I will look forward to @Gina1960 continuing the thread as new life comes to her wonderful jungle. And i don't really mind if you want to send me to the Sandbox Rolling my eyes.




No way! No apologies needed. I am not like some other people on here...I don't take offense when others share their experiences on my threads I feel everyone has something to teach and everyone something to learn.
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Mar 10, 2019 6:23 PM CST
sunkissed said:@vitrsna
Well glad to know you found your vine, good things come to those who wait. I know the seeds on my vine didn't work for you, they haven't for anyone, so sterile they are...my vine still thrives. Thumbs up Best wishes in your new place, sounds lovely.

Ok, Gina, back to tropical view...here're mine from my backdoor.
Thumb of 2019-03-10/sunkissed/7eb550



I love it! I am definitely working toward this look. And working toward using bromeliads to advantage. Like I have said in the past, I am poly just reclaiming my greenhouse after years of neglect. Its definitely a work in progress and needs a lot more color!
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!
Name: Beverly
Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico (Zone 11a)
Butterflies Organic Gardener Tropicals Native Plants and Wildflowers Seed Starter
Image
vitrsna
Mar 10, 2019 6:54 PM CST
stunning photo @sunkissed and really good work, and @Gina1960 your jungle is no less beautiful and full of interest. I like so much the idea of creating jungles when one is in a climate permitting. I am inspired by both of your jungles. Thumbs up
Saint Petersburg (Zone 10a)
Tropicals Plant and/or Seed Trader Bromeliad Region: Florida Plumerias
Image
junglegal
Apr 16, 2019 11:50 AM CST
Gina,

Blast from the past! Haven't seen you around for a few years! I've been absent myself for a couple years. We just bought our retirement home (early) & I'm finally getting around to gardening again. This one is 2/3 acre. It's kind of exciting getting to start all over again! This one is a challenge though as it's on the bay and windy!

Your collection looks stellar as always!
- Bren (St. Pete)
Name: Scott
Tampa FL (Westchase)
Tropicals Region: Florida Enjoys or suffers hot summers Bromeliad Plumerias Dog Lover
Foliage Fan Orchids Cactus and Succulents
Image
ScotTi
Apr 16, 2019 3:37 PM CST
junglegal said:Gina,

Blast from the past! Haven't seen you around for a few years! I've been absent myself for a couple years. We just bought our retirement home (early) & I'm finally getting around to gardening again. This one is 2/3 acre. It's kind of exciting getting to start all over again! This one is a challenge though as it's on the bay and windy!

Your collection looks stellar as always!
- Bren (St. Pete)


Speaking of a blast from the past!
Brenda How have you been? How is the new garden coming along?
I think about you every time I walk by this Croton. Thumbs up

Thumb of 2019-04-16/ScotTi/d045bd

Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Apr 16, 2019 6:51 PM CST
BREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@junglegal I am so glad to see you!!!!!!!!
I just started back to plant tending really last August. There were some problems for about 10 years or so that kept me from doing anything with my greenhouse or anything else. But I am back to looking after everything and replacing some of the things I lost.
So you are still in St. Pete? We go down to Sarasota and Anna Maria fairly frequently because my daughter lives in Sarasota (Ringling student, graduating this May but sticking around a while because her girlfriend is NOT graduating yet LOL). So we get to go to Sarasota and Anna Maria some more!
I think I traded plants with you more than almost anyone else. Since we are both starting again maybe we can trade some more! Good to see you here again!!!!!
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!
Saint Petersburg (Zone 10a)
Tropicals Plant and/or Seed Trader Bromeliad Region: Florida Plumerias
Image
junglegal
Apr 17, 2019 6:19 AM CST
Hi Scott,
We've been doing so much work to the new house that the landscape took a back-burner for the last 1.5yrs. I am finally ready to start designing and collecting again! I'll give you a call sometime soon for a get-together. It's been awhile. I miss gardening so much so I'm exciting to finally be back in the game.

Gina,
When we sold our old place in 2017, the gardens were the main selling point so I had to leave everything. I only brought 11 plants with me so the journey begins again from ground zero. Half the fun is in the pursuit though. I'll happily trade when I start my collection again. Oh and yes, still in St. Pete. Make sure you check out tropiflora in Sarasota and Michael's Bromeliads when visiting your daughter. Selby is awesome too!
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Apr 17, 2019 6:25 AM CST
I have been to Tropiflora several times since she moved down there 4 years ago (just went to the last sale). Michael's Bromeliads came to our local Plantfest in March. I used to be a member of Selby and go to all the sales, have not done that in years.
I'm glad you are back! Another person to tale tropicals and aroids with. They are in rare supply here it seems
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Tropicals forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "The Peony Helper"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.