Roses forum: New and growing roses in Louisiana

Views: 769, Replies: 16 » Jump to the end
Name: Gabrielle M
Covington, Louisiana (Zone 9a)
Image
LouisianaRoseGirl
Apr 29, 2019 8:18 AM CST
Hello!
My name is Gabrielle and I live right outside of New Orleans in a small city called Covington.
We moved about 10 months ago and I had to leave my beloved and giant Cecil Brunner but brought the rose that started it all my Frances Meiland as well as Preference, Apricot Candy and Blue Moon.
Our house is a lovely turn of the century cottage on a dead end street (so one whole wall is against a creek) and we have about and acre and a half.
I promptly bought a Peggy Martin that is happily on its way up the outside chimney and replanted my four who all seem to be doing well...well at least as well as can be expected with the transplant and louisiana weather. 😉
In my excitement about the new place I kinda lost my mind and purchased a whole slew of roses! I got Eden (what a stunner!), ambridge (still getting started), distant drums (first three buds are ready to explode) and Wildeve (also looking good and setting bud) from Heirloom. I adore all four and was hoping my order from Antique Emp would be as stellar.
Whomp whomp they showed up so sad. natchitoches noisette looked the best of the bunch but had lots of black spot out the box. Coffee Country, Molineaux, Felicia and Sarah Van Fleet look scraggily with black spot and just sad.
I potted them all in a blend black cow and garden soil and soaked them with fish fertilizer and let them be but they just aren't rebounding. Any suggestions?
I have them in big pots because we are currently building the raised beds for them. It's just too muddy and boggy to grow in ground. I even have crawfish holes in my lawn! 😂
Anyway...thanks for letting me come and share. My husband thinks my little hobby is kinda nuts but I thank my lucky stars everyday that I married a contractor!
Oh and my order from Heirloom for Ebb Tide, Angel Face and
Paris de Yves St. Laurent is in transit now and I couldn't be more excited.
Any other 9a gardeners here?
Warmly,
G




Name: Porkpal
Richmond, TX
Charter ATP Member Dog Lover Cat Lover Keeper of Poultry Keeps Horses I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
Garden Ideas: Level 2 Plant Identifier Raises cows Roses Farmer Celebrating Gardening: 2015
porkpal
Apr 29, 2019 8:39 AM CST
Yes, I am in 9a in Texas. It is a black spot haven, but many roses that struggle when young grow to resist it as they age. Don't give up.
Porkpal
Zone 9, Sunset Zone 9 (Zone 9b)
Roses
Image
Mustbnuts
Apr 29, 2019 9:15 AM CST
I also am in Zone 9a or b (they keep changing it on us). However, my growing conditions are very different than yours. No humidity to speak of here. Only about 12 inches of rain (if we are lucky) during the winter and it gets hotter than Hades during the summer (we are talking temps over 100 degrees daily for months on end and sometimes we get up to 116 F.
SW Ohio River Valley (Zone 6b)
Image
vaporvac
Apr 29, 2019 12:12 PM CST
I have never received anything other than stellar roses from ARE. Depending on transit time, roses can develop BS in an enclosed space and are generally stressed by the experience. The important thing is not the top growth which will regrow, but the size of the rootball. ARE sends large, well-rooted plants so they should rebound quickly. Having said that, I'm not sure garden soil and manure are your best bets for growth. Do you mean soil from your yard or something you bought. The small feeder roots that push growth need air. I would use a mix of peat, manure and compost with perlite for better drainage or just a good potting soil with extra perlite.. With manure they probably don't need any fertilizer until they show good growth. How long do you anticipate keeping them in pots? Many of mine have outgrown initial BS; my Felicia has proved very healthy in this regard.
It's great that you were able to move your favourites and perhaps you can replant your beloved CB even choosing the smaller one if you no longer have so much space. Your new home sounds enchanting! Looking forward to pictures! : ))
Name: Carol
Alberta, Canada (Zone 3b)
Image
Canadian_Rose
Apr 29, 2019 12:13 PM CST
Group hug Welcome!!! It's always so great to have new members!! Welcome!!
I grow my roses in pots, We have glacial till which means the soil is far too rocky and hardpan. I'm in a far different zone than you...we still have snow and are expecting more. Sighing! How weird that you have crawfish holes in your lawn? Blinking
I would leave your roses be....you've done the right things...all they need now is water. Thumbs up You married a contractor!!! Oh lucky you!! And I love your roses!!! Lovey dubby What are their names?
I've been thinking about Francis Meilland for years...but then I think it's so pale that the thrips damage would be too noticeable. Do you find this?

Name: Carol
Alberta, Canada (Zone 3b)
Image
Canadian_Rose
Apr 29, 2019 12:23 PM CST
Oh...vaporvac...you're right...I totally missed that she used garden soil. Good thing you're on the ball!
Name: seil
St Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6a)
Roses Garden Photography Region: Michigan
Image
seilMI
Apr 29, 2019 2:45 PM CST
Hi Gabriella, welcome to the group! I battle blackspot all the time but I'm in a cold zone so my conditions wouldn't be anything like yours. I will say that I've let go of some expectations. I don't expect my roses to be perfect and disease free any more. I just try more to enjoy the blooms and not fret so much about everything else. It's a lot less stressful.
Name: Gabrielle M
Covington, Louisiana (Zone 9a)
Image
LouisianaRoseGirl
Apr 29, 2019 4:37 PM CST
porkpal said:Yes, I am in 9a in Texas. It is a black spot haven, but many roses that struggle when young grow to resist it as they age. Don't give up.


This is so good to hear. I just figured it would weaken the plant and make it susceptible to other issues. Thank you!
Name: Gabrielle M
Covington, Louisiana (Zone 9a)
Image
LouisianaRoseGirl
Apr 29, 2019 4:39 PM CST
Mustbnuts said:I also am in Zone 9a or b (they keep changing it on us). However, my growing conditions are very different than yours. No humidity to speak of here. Only about 12 inches of rain (if we are lucky) during the winter and it gets hotter than Hades during the summer (we are talking temps over 100 degrees daily for months on end and sometimes we get up to 116 F.


My lord! We get crazy hot but not THAT hot. By August I just want to cry for the humidity AND heat but 116! Do you need to shade the roses for afternoon sun? I'm really curious...how often do you water?

Thank you for the comment sometimes I feel just crazy trying to grow these roses in the swamp
With all this heat!

Name: Gabrielle M
Covington, Louisiana (Zone 9a)
Image
LouisianaRoseGirl
Apr 29, 2019 4:47 PM CST
vaporvac said:I have never received anything other than stellar roses from ARE. Depending on transit time, roses can develop BS in an enclosed space and are generally stressed by the experience. The important thing is not the top growth which will regrow, but the size of the rootball. ARE sends large, well-rooted plants so they should rebound quickly. Having said that, I'm not sure garden soil and manure are your best bets for growth. Do you mean soil from your yard or something you bought. The small feeder roots that push growth need air. I would use a mix of peat, manure and compost with perlite for better drainage or just a good potting soil with extra perlite.. With manure they probably don't need any fertilizer until they show good growth. How long do you anticipate keeping them in pots? Many of mine have outgrown initial BS; my Felicia has proved very healthy in this regard.
It's great that you were able to move your favourites and perhaps you can replant your beloved CB even choosing the smaller one if you no longer have so much space. Your new home sounds enchanting! Looking forward to pictures! : ))


You nailed my question that I eluded to but didn't ask outright. I'm using trucked in garden soil (I buy it by the yard and mix it with black cow or mushroom mix. Usually 3:4 to 1:4) I've seriously considered Perlite not only Potted but also in ground but it's so hot I feel like I'd be constantly watering. I use a moisture meter since it's super hard to tell.
It's such a relief to hear you have good experiences with ARE! I'd love to see your Felicia!
Name: Moondog
Jourdanton, TX (Zone 9a)
Region: Texas Birds Dog Lover Keeps Horses Roses Deer
Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Hummingbirder Bluebonnets Bee Lover Garden Art
Image
Moondog
Apr 29, 2019 5:25 PM CST
LouisianaRoseGirl said:

My lord! We get crazy hot but not THAT hot. By August I just want to cry for the humidity AND heat but 116! Do you need to shade the roses for afternoon sun? I'm really curious...how often do you water?

Thank you for the comment sometimes I feel just crazy trying to grow these roses in the swamp
With all this heat!



I would have to agree with you there. It gets plenty hot here. And as I am about 100 miles from the coast. Our prevailing summer wind is directly from the S.E., which brings the moist air. And our temps are well into the 100's all summer long. But compared to Covington, I'll take this.
The humidity is HORRIBLE in S. LA.
HYDRATE!!!

Life is too short, no matter how long we're here. PLAY HARD and LOVE someone, with everything you got!
jwmhawk.blogspot.com
Name: Gabrielle M
Covington, Louisiana (Zone 9a)
Image
LouisianaRoseGirl
Apr 29, 2019 6:07 PM CST
Canadian_Rose said: Group hug Welcome!!! It's always so great to have new members!! Welcome!!
I grow my roses in pots, We have glacial till which means the soil is far too rocky and hardpan. I'm in a far different zone than you...we still have snow and are expecting more. Sighing! How weird that you have crawfish holes in your lawn? Blinking
I would leave your roses be....you've done the right things...all they need now is water. Thumbs up You married a contractor!!! Oh lucky you!! And I love your roses!!! Lovey dubby What are their names?
I've been thinking about Francis Meilland for years...but then I think it's so pale that the thrips damage would be too noticeable. Do you find this?



It's do awesome to find this place! The first posted is my apricot, The second is my blue and the third my Meilland. I can't say enough about the Meilland.
This is it and my apricot in a vase



Thumb of 2019-04-30/LouisianaRoseGirl/771d57

Name: Carol
Alberta, Canada (Zone 3b)
Image
Canadian_Rose
Apr 29, 2019 7:13 PM CST
I love Meilland roses...which is why I've always wanted to try Francis Meilland...yours doesn't have any thrips damage on the bloom. Thinking I may have to try it...especially since you love it so much!
Your bouquet is gorgeous!! Such luscious, large blooms!! Wowza!!! Lovey dubby
Name: Gabrielle M
Covington, Louisiana (Zone 9a)
Image
LouisianaRoseGirl
Apr 30, 2019 7:47 PM CST
Moondog said:

I would have to agree with you there. It gets plenty hot here. And as I am about 100 miles from the coast. Our prevailing summer wind is directly from the S.E., which brings the moist air. And our temps are well into the 100's all summer long. But compared to Covington, I'll take this.
The humidity is HORRIBLE in S. LA.
HYDRATE!!!



It will be interesting to see how we both fare! Looks like you have quite the gorgeous collection going. How often are you watering these days?

Name: Moondog
Jourdanton, TX (Zone 9a)
Region: Texas Birds Dog Lover Keeps Horses Roses Deer
Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Hummingbirder Bluebonnets Bee Lover Garden Art
Image
Moondog
Apr 30, 2019 11:11 PM CST
I have been watering every other day. Actually, a couple of times, I have watered on consecutive days. We have had several days of high wind, which seems to dry the ground out really fast.
Also, I don't have any mulch down, yet.
I have been trying to learn about mulching properly, before I do that.
Since I know so little about gardening, I am trying to make certain I go about it right. I am planning to dig up some of the grass around the roses before I put down the mulch.
With hotter weather on the way, I want to make sure I keep them watered properly.
Life is too short, no matter how long we're here. PLAY HARD and LOVE someone, with everything you got!
jwmhawk.blogspot.com
Long Island, New York, USA (Zone 7a)
Region: New York Roses
Image
Ray_Gun
May 1, 2019 8:41 AM CST
Agreed you should definitely get 3-4" of mulch down it will help A LOT with maintaining moisture levels and temperature of the soil and roots. Thumbs up
Name: Mike
Long Beach, Ca.
Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Roses Region: California Hummingbirder Farmer
Daylilies Cat Lover Bulbs Butterflies Birds Garden Ideas: Level 1
Calsurf73
May 1, 2019 9:18 AM CST
I agree 100% with what Ray-Gun said. Mulch Mulch Mulch
Up until about 5 years ago I never used (or needed) mulch here. Since then our summers have been abnormally hot and humid and by August my roses looked abysmal. Last year I started mulching and it did help tremendously.

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Roses forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by lauriemorningglory and is called "Bluebeard's Ghost"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.