Views: 1606, Replies: 25 » Jump to the end
Aug 4, 2012 10:47 AM CST
|i just found at the roots of my some of my daylilies agrowth that is like a fungas rock like sorta and light colored it is all stuck together and i pulled ti off the rooys and it comes off in crumbly chunks what is it please and what do i do thanks so much for any advice im panicked|
Aug 4, 2012 10:59 AM CST
|Can you provide a picture of it?|
Aug 4, 2012 11:00 AM CST
|i wish i knew hoq ill learn but now i think it is crown root rot shouls i destroy my daylilies so as not to infect the rest|
Aug 4, 2012 11:28 AM CST
|my daylilies seem fine and green is it crown rot if so wouldnt they be slimy i dont know any pictures of crown rot please thanks|
Aug 4, 2012 11:51 AM CST
|I've never had crown rot, so I'm not sure what it looks like.|
Aug 4, 2012 12:31 PM CST
|DO NOT PANIC!! |
My regular Internet is down (I'm on my phone) or I would post some photos.
If you search google images (type in crown rot daylilies) you will see what it looks like. It's a fungus/bacteria that is in the soil. You cannot see it unless its the shoestring root rot and it intertwines with the daylily roots and looks like thin shoestrings.
Yes your daylilies would more than likely be slimy if crown rot is far enough along.
I'm not sure what you have found, maybe some type of underground mushroom type thing.
DO NOT destroy your daylilies, they will most likely not infect your other daylilies even if it was crown rot.
Do you have an agricultural extension office near you where you can take this thing to and see if they know what it may be?
Aug 4, 2012 12:51 PM CST
|thank you you saved me from a total breakdown i think it is just a mushroom weird thing thank you so much ill call them monday they all seem fine and happy as i lie nose down with relief thank you so much tink thank heaven i found this site melchor i,m going to learn how to do pictures|
Aug 4, 2012 2:17 PM CST
|In my experience, if you stick your nose down there, you can smell rot. The USDA inspector I used to have was able to smell it several feet away. I am not that good. |
Does not smell like rot. Do you use any mulch? Sometimes mulch gets some really odd stuff growing in it.
Aug 4, 2012 3:14 PM CST
|I get mushrooms & fungal growth when there is a lot of rain or high humidity....|
I lost about a dozen daylilies to crown rot this spring, but the weather this spring was really really weird - too hot, then freezing then hot again. Since then, I have had a couple more come down with it. I dug them up, washed the roots in a dilute bleach solution, allowed them to dry for a bit, then replanted them in pots. - all are doing well, and I will put them back in the garden when the weather moderates.
And yeah, the crown rot smelled rotten. Regular molds & fungus, of which many are normal in the soil, don't smell rotten. Some of my daylily gardens have wood chop mulch, and as it decomposes it will have "white threads" through it. Again, it doesn't smell "rotten" ~Jan
Aug 4, 2012 6:30 PM CST
|I've had some weird looking "things" grow from the soil around my daylily pots. I've call them mushrooms, galls, snuff balls, and some I had no idea as to what to even call them. Some have even gotten into my pots. On the ground, I just dig around them and banish them to a remote area. In my pots, I usually will try to get all of it out, if not possible, I will repot the plant into clean soil and clean pot and again banish the leftover soil to a remote location(out in the woods). I've never had any of these "things" hurt a plant. I figure I could leave the alone and they would just go away, but to err on the side of caution, I remove them. Please understand, my home is surrounded by 100 year old oaks, elms, hickory, and numerous other trees. I've tried not to disturb the soil under these trees too much, so there is all kinds of "stuff" growing around my garden that lives in soil, rotted wood, rotting wood, leaves, and all kind of creatures. I expect about anything around here and have to take all of it in stride(most of the time ) My biggest loss has been to voles, not disease. I have lost one to root rot, so it does happen(of course to my most expensive at the time Mort Morss) but usually most "things" are harmless around here. |
I hope your's is a "harmless thing" too, just don't panic. Michele is a weath of info and there are a bunch of others that can help too. You can always move a sick plant out of your plants into a pot until you can get some solid advice as to what is wrong. I'd about say, never destroy one until you have solid evidence it's really that sick and usually then you can put it in an isolated area and try to nurse it back to health.
Good luck and blessings, Mona
Aug 4, 2012 8:23 PM CST
|you all ae the best and most comforting thank you so much its not crown rot and i was able to pullthe weird stuff off easily and the daylilies are fine im now noise down but they are fine ill see what comes next thank you all so much melchor thank heaven i joined the daylily forum|
Aug 4, 2012 9:17 PM CST
|You should see the scary blob of stuff I found in my hosta garden a few days ago! It looked like a big blob of melted ice cream. My husband said a giant bird threw up! Luckily it wasn't on any plants or I would have freaked out. The worst part is that I wasn't paying attention, and stuck my hand in it. I still haven't recovered!|
Aug 4, 2012 10:48 PM CST
|LOL Natalie ~ sounds like "dog vomit" slime mold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S...|
Where are we going, and why am I in this hand-basket?
Aug 4, 2012 11:34 PM CST
|My very first thought, when I saw it, is that one of the dogs had thrown up! It was on the other side of the rabbit fence though, so it wasn't that! It didn't really look like the slime mold picture either. I had never even heard of that before, and I really don't think that was it. But, it probably doesn't always look exactly like the picture. I scooped it up and threw it out already, or I'd take a picture. It was rather disturbing when I stuck my hand in it!|
One time, many years ago when I was living in California, I let the dog out very early in the morning, and there was this glowing green stuff all over the lawn! My first thought was that an alien had fallen out of it's spaceship and went SPLAT all over my yard! It really was kind of scary looking! I finally decided that it had fallen off the bottom of a plane and was frozen waste, or treated waste, or whatever you would call it. Even grosser than an alien! All I could do was wash it down the best as I could, and hope that the dog didn't eat it! I probably should have called the EPA, but decided I just wanted to go back to bed and hope it had totally melted by the time I got back up!
Aug 5, 2012 8:57 AM CST
|Wow Natalie! That just brings visions of the movie Independence Day! ~Jan|
Aug 5, 2012 10:18 AM CST
Aug 5, 2012 2:28 PM CST
|Now I'm starting to think that it really could be slime mold! My first pile of stuff didn't look like the pictures, but I found more in another area today. This time, it looks like one of the dogs had diarrhea, which is super gross! This pile of stuff is also behind the rabbit fence, where the dogs can't get into, so I know it's not them! Maybe I've got a sick pterodactyl in the area?|
Aug 5, 2012 2:33 PM CST
|Awwww, poor pterodactyl - feed it more hay, lessen the grain it is eating. Oh wait, that's the advice I gave one of my beef project members whose steer has diarrhea.......|
Aug 5, 2012 2:56 PM CST
| I was thinking it needed more grain, not less! It's better to have a pterodactyl with diarrhea than a steer!|
Aug 5, 2012 3:53 PM CST
|Watch it ~ it comes and goes quickly. The slime mold, that is. Pterodactyl too, I guess... |
Where are we going, and why am I in this hand-basket?