We have a front landscape area we're trying to figure out what to do with.
There's two main parts:
1) the more shaded side part (North side of house, between ours and neighbors) that has some hostas growing already.
2) The front beds (east facing) have some lillys, a short rosebush, and some other bush in the corner.
Both areas get direct sunlight in the AM and then shade in the PM.
We'd like to create a garden area that doesn't need to be mulched each year (the previous method that was used for this area >4 years ago). So questions are:
1. Recommendations for ground cover that would work in the more shaded side part and complement the hostas? Anything we should do to the dirt (very old mulch) that is there to prepare it for that ground cover?
2. Recommendations for perennials and ground cover that would work in the direct sun front beds?
3. Recommendations for tall grasses to grow behind things in the front bed (tolerant of direct sun for 3-5 hours a day)?