Image
May 6, 2020 12:46 PM CST
NJ (Zone 7a)
Hi! This little guy was shipped to my house last week. I've had him in indirect sunlight every since. I wasn't sure how much water he had received so I gave him a little on Saturday and a little bit yesterday. I think the black spots usually indicate under watering? I was hoping to get some opinions on if he looks healthy or not and any recommendations anyone might have. I never had a plant shipped before so I'm a little nervous. Thank you in advance!!
Thumb of 2020-05-06/_mel/c9cbe1
Image
May 6, 2020 12:53 PM CST
Name: Stefan
SE europe(balkans) (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Sempervivums Bromeliad Adeniums Bookworm Sedums
Tropicals Fruit Growers Foliage Fan Orchids Bulbs Apples
Sempervivum. Move it outside, stat
Image
May 6, 2020 2:46 PM CST
NJ (Zone 7a)
skopjecollection said:Sempervivum. Move it outside, stat

.
46° And cloudy today - I'm thinking not the best idea.
Last edited by _mel May 6, 2020 2:56 PM Icon for preview
Avatar for Charlinex
May 6, 2020 4:29 PM CST
Name: Charline
Toronto (Zone 5b)
My semps are exposed to minus 30 in the winter and always full sun. I rarely water them. Since your plant is new, I suggest you move it to half sun to begin with. Your temperature should be fine.
Avatar for Charlinex
May 6, 2020 4:42 PM CST
Name: Charline
Toronto (Zone 5b)
Sempervivums are not indoor tropicals. They will show you their best usually when they are under full sun and in cold temperature, as long as you don't water them until the soil is dry.


Thumb of 2020-05-06/Charlinex/2c45ea


Thumb of 2020-05-06/Charlinex/142e0f
Image
May 6, 2020 4:59 PM CST
NJ (Zone 7a)
Charlinex said:Sempervivums are not indoor tropicals. They will show you their best usually when they are under full sun and in cold temperature, as long as you don't water them until the soil is dry.


Thumb of 2020-05-06/Charlinex/2c45ea


Thumb of 2020-05-06/Charlinex/142e0f



Thank you! I like the color of yours
Last edited by _mel May 6, 2020 5:00 PM Icon for preview
Image
May 7, 2020 3:37 AM CST
Romania, Mures (Zone 6b)
Region: Europe Roses Sedums Sempervivums
If your plants suffer of anything is etiolation, you can see the leaves are starting to curl under, both on the hen and the chicks, then you can see the hen growing slightly taller, then you can see discoloration starts, all these 3 are signs of etiolation.
Watering does not counter-act etiolation, actually it can speed up etiolation sometimes. Can even cause rot, which can affect the plant in a quick manner or a very slow manner.
The plant now needs some direct sunlight, for a like a couple of hours for several days (since they are etiolated), then more hours of sun after they get accustomed to some direct sung light.
Last edited by PaleoTemp May 7, 2020 8:41 AM Icon for preview
Image
May 7, 2020 7:03 AM CST
NJ (Zone 7a)
PaleoTemp said:If you plants suffer of anything is etiolation, you can see the leaves are starting to curl under, both on the hen and the chicks, then you can see the hen growing slightly taller, then you can see discoloration starts, all these 3 are signs of etiolation.
Watering does not counter-act etiolation, actually it can speed up etiolation sometimes. Can even cause rot, which can affect the plant in a quick manner or a very slow manner.
The plant now needs some direct sunlight, for a like a couple of hours for several days (since they are etiolated), then more hours of sun after they get accustomed to some direct sung light.


Thank you!!!
Image
May 7, 2020 7:36 AM CST
Moderator
Name: Lynn
Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b)
Charter ATP Member Garden Sages I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I helped beta test the Garden Planting Calendar I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator
Forum moderator I helped beta test the first seed swap Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant and/or Seed Trader Garden Ideas: Master Level
Mel where do you live? What is your growing zone? What are your summer high temps?

I agree about getting it outside, definitely not a house plant. But don't put it into sun right away, you have to do it gradually as you might sunburn it since it probably not used to direct sun.
Image
May 7, 2020 8:33 AM CST
NJ (Zone 7a)
valleylynn said:Mel where do you live? What is your growing zone? What are your summer high temps?

I agree about getting it outside, definitely not a house plant. But don't put it into sun right away, you have to do it gradually as you might sunburn it since it probably not used to direct sun.


I live in New Jersey. Summer high temps are in the 80s-90s
Image
May 7, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Moderator
Name: Lynn
Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b)
Charter ATP Member Garden Sages I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I helped beta test the Garden Planting Calendar I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator
Forum moderator I helped beta test the first seed swap Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant and/or Seed Trader Garden Ideas: Master Level
Okay, you should be able to grow them easily. Have fun. Hurray!
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
  • Started by: _mel
  • Replies: 10, views: 351
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by arctangent and is called "Showing off"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.