Post a reply

Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 9, 2020 3:02 PM CST
Greece
Hello, how are you doing?I hope you are all fine
I have a little problem...
Today i saw a creature (looked like an insect to me ) going under my couch.It was black in the size of my palm, circular and it was very fast.I couldnt see it clearly
I think it had many legs but i am not sure because it was very fast
Then me and my friend saw it leaving the couch and going to the kitchen.
My friend saw it closer and she said it was flat, but we cants say for sure because we didnt manage to see it clearly
It didnt look like a mouse or a rat , more like an insect like a spider or something but it was very circular to be a spider
When i lifted the couch i saw some tiny feces like the poops of a grasshopper
I am confused and i cant find it anywhere
Does anyone know what it could be ?I would be grateful
Thank you in advance!
Image
May 9, 2020 8:25 PM CST
Name: sumire
Reno, Nevada (Zone 6a)
Susuwatari - coal soot sprite from the Miyazaki films matches your description perfectly Smiling

Seriously, I suspect you saw a mouse. They have looked like flat black blotches when I have seen them suddenly running away and their feces are very tiny.
www.sumiredesigns.com
Image
May 9, 2020 8:34 PM CST
Name: Kim
Black Hills, SD (Zone 5a)
Discover more wildflowers
Annuals Houseplants Hummingbirder Native Plants and Wildflowers Peppers Seed Starter
Snakes Enjoys or suffers hot summers Tomato Heads The WITWIT Badge Vegetable Grower Beavers
I agree definitely. We had a mouse problem and we would see the little rascal scurrying everywhere. When they first came, we weren't sure what they were because they were too fast to see. We really did think that one of the baby mice was an insect one time.

They would come all around until my dog caught and killed two of them (who ever heard of dogs catching mice?) on my porch. And then, when we got my cat, they left for good. She never caught any, but just the scent of her was enough for them to stay away.
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 1Cor. 13:4
Let’s talk about Animal Fun Facts, Birds, Trees/Shrubs, or Oleanders!
Avatar for WAMcCormick
May 9, 2020 9:44 PM CST
Bryan, TX
I have a dog that loves to hunt mice. Since mice den in my garden when beans, peas, corn, peanuts or most other things are producing, she is well worth her keep. Get a cat or a little dog.
If it takes a long time to grow, remember that if nobody plants it, nobody has it.
Image
May 10, 2020 12:00 AM CST
Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Bee Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Tomato Heads Salvias Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Peppers
Organic Gardener Native Plants and Wildflowers Morning Glories Master Gardener: Arkansas Lilies Hummingbirder
When mice are in the house they seldom go across the middle of the floor. They scurry along the floorboards against the wall. The best way to get rid of them, if you're not squeamish, is the old fashioned way; the mousetrap. Bait it with little bits of hot dog, salt park, or peanut butter. Place the trap against the wall in an out of the way place, say, in the kitchen, near the fridge. Then wait. They usually come out at night, their most active feeding period. You may need to re bait the trap several times. Mice are seldom singular creatures. If you have one, you usually have more than one. Keep baiting the trap until you don't catch any more.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 10, 2020 5:07 AM CST
Greece
I thought about it , but the thing is that the poops didnt look like mouse's
Image
May 10, 2020 5:16 AM CST
Name: Big Bill
Livonia Michigan (Zone 6a)
GROW ORCHIDS!!!
Bee Lover Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Orchids Region: Michigan Hostas Growing under artificial light
Echinacea Critters Allowed Cat Lover Butterflies Birds Region: United States of America
I am not familiar with Greece in order to know what types of insects that you have but from your description, if it was here, I would think of either a Palmetto Bug, a large 2"+ wood roach, or a water bug of some kind.
They, the water bugs, seem to scurry due to their odd body shape and the fact that they live in the water so leg positioning is different. Do you live near water?
If you live in a warmer climate, I would think wood roach.
Just a thought.
Taught classes on Orchids and Orchid growing and led hundreds of bird walks. Retired Wildlife Biologist.
Image
May 10, 2020 8:46 AM CST
Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Bee Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Tomato Heads Salvias Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Peppers
Organic Gardener Native Plants and Wildflowers Morning Glories Master Gardener: Arkansas Lilies Hummingbirder
Bill has a good point. Palmetto bugs are big enough to produce some fairly large size poop. Fortunately, they're easy to get rid of. The roach baits sold in big box store work well on them.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Image
May 10, 2020 9:04 AM CST
Name: Lin Vosbury
Sebastian, Florida (Zone 10a)

Region: United States of America Region: Ukraine Region: Florida Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Birds Butterflies Bee Lover Hummingbirder Container Gardener Houseplants
If it was the size of the palm of a hand, I doubt it was an insect ... my guess is Mouse.

~ edited to add: Bloobliabla did say it looked like an insect so maybe he/she has a small hand, or perhaps Greece has some large insects. Shrug!
~ I'm an old gal who still loves playing in the dirt!
~ Playing in the dirt is my therapy ... and I'm in therapy a lot!


Last edited by plantladylin May 10, 2020 9:36 AM Icon for preview
Image
May 10, 2020 9:22 AM CST
Name: Big Bill
Livonia Michigan (Zone 6a)
GROW ORCHIDS!!!
Bee Lover Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Orchids Region: Michigan Hostas Growing under artificial light
Echinacea Critters Allowed Cat Lover Butterflies Birds Region: United States of America
You know that we could argue about size until the cows come home! Not once but fifty times! The size of something to the inexperienced eye, OR to an experienced one is the hardest thing to be sure of.
What I get from this description is probably not a mouse. I agree, they usually do not scurry out in the open. But bugs don't either! But the fact it scurried under the couch, doesn't help us either.
The fact that our best witness said round and flat and many legs! THINK about that ROUND!! I think the odds of a spider are very, very good. Think of a round bodied 2-3" spider, then add 8 legs and you get something that could appear to be anywhere from 4-6"
Wide up to something that appears to be 7, 8 or 9" wide. A spider makes more sense.
Taught classes on Orchids and Orchid growing and led hundreds of bird walks. Retired Wildlife Biologist.
Last edited by BigBill May 10, 2020 9:24 AM Icon for preview
Image
May 10, 2020 12:26 PM CST
Name: Carol
Santa Ana, ca
Sunset zone 22, USDA zone 10 A.
Bookworm Charter ATP Member Region: California Hummingbirder Orchids Plant Identifier
Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
My thought was Tarantula, but I've never heard of them in Greece.
Image
May 10, 2020 1:45 PM CST
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
ctcarol said:My thought was Tarantula, but I've never heard of them in Greece.


And they are not known for their speedy getaways. Hilarious!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org
Image
May 10, 2020 2:18 PM CST
Name: Sally
central Maryland (Zone 7b)
Let's all play ukulele
Charter ATP Member Houseplants Keeper of Poultry Vegetable Grower Region: Maryland Composter
Native Plants and Wildflowers Organic Gardener Region: United States of America Cat Lover Birds Butterflies
Fishing spider? I am thinking spider.
Plant it and they will come.
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 11, 2020 3:49 AM CST
Greece
sallyg said:Fishing spider? I am thinking spider.


Maybe you are right.Thank you very much for the suggestion😊 Thank You!
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 11, 2020 3:50 AM CST
Greece
ctcarol said:My thought was Tarantula, but I've never heard of them in Greece.


Thank You! ☺☺
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 11, 2020 3:52 AM CST
Greece
BigBill said:You know that we could argue about size until the cows come home! Not once but fifty times! The size of something to the inexperienced eye, OR to an experienced one is the hardest thing to be sure of.
What I get from this description is probably not a mouse. I agree, they usually do not scurry out in the open. But bugs don't either! But the fact it scurried under the couch, doesn't help us either.
The fact that our best witness said round and flat and many legs! THINK about that ROUND!! I think the odds of a spider are very, very good. Think of a round bodied 2-3" spider, then add 8 legs and you get something that could appear to be anywhere from 4-6"
Wide up to something that appears to be 7, 8 or 9" wide. A spider makes more sense.

Perhaps you are right.And maybe the size was smaller but it moved so fast that we thought it was bigger...
Thank you very much Thank You!
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 11, 2020 3:56 AM CST
Greece
plantladylin said:If it was the size of the palm of a hand, I doubt it was an insect ... my guess is Mouse.

~ edited to add: Bloobliabla did say it looked like an insect so maybe he/she has a small hand, or perhaps Greece has some large insects. Shrug!

Yeah , maybe, i cant tell for sure that it wasn't
But the feces didn't look like the feces of a rodent
Anyways ...Thank you very much!! Thank You!

😊😊
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 11, 2020 3:58 AM CST
Greece
gardenfish said:Bill has a good point. Palmetto bugs are big enough to produce some fairly large size poop. Fortunately, they're easy to get rid of. The roach baits sold in big box store work well on them.

Thanks very much😁😁
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 11, 2020 3:59 AM CST
Greece
BigBill said:I am not familiar with Greece in order to know what types of insects that you have but from your description, if it was here, I would think of either a Palmetto Bug, a large 2"+ wood roach, or a water bug of some kind.
They, the water bugs, seem to scurry due to their odd body shape and the fact that they live in the water so leg positioning is different. Do you live near water?
If you live in a warmer climate, I would think wood roach.
Just a thought.

I thought about egyptian cocroach
Avatar for Bloobliabla
May 11, 2020 4:02 AM CST
Greece
WAMcCormick said:I have a dog that loves to hunt mice. Since mice den in my garden when beans, peas, corn, peanuts or most other things are producing, she is well worth her keep. Get a cat or a little dog.

I already have a dog , a mixed labrador and my dog used to bark to the couch but when i moved it i didnt saw anything

Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by RachaelHunter and is called "Ethel"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.