Houseplants forum→Is my cactus going to flower?

Views: 149, Replies: 7 » Jump to the end

amm13
May 17, 2020 6:19 PM CST
I saw little red buds today in my cactus and I'm excited and wondering if this means it's going to flower! If so, I'm wondering if there's anything I should do or if I should just keep on with my care. I just repotted it a week ago so it has fresh soil.


Thumb of 2020-05-18/amm13/7c7d42

California (Zone 9b)
CalPolygardener
May 17, 2020 10:46 PM CST
your "cactus" is a Euphorbia and yes it is blooming. What you see is as impressive as the flowers get. Hurray! Rolling on the floor laughing So, yes, keep doing what you're doing and since you just repotted it be extra careful with the watering. Thumbs up

amm13
May 18, 2020 9:33 AM CST
CalPolygardener said:your "cactus" is a Euphorbia and yes it is blooming. What you see is as impressive as the flowers get. Hurray! Rolling on the floor laughing So, yes, keep doing what you're doing and since you just repotted it be extra careful with the watering. Thumbs up


Hahaha so they don't get any bigger? Thanks for the response!
Name: tarev
San Joaquin County, CA (Zone 9b)
Stay Home-Save Lives-Wear a Mask!
Cat Lover Houseplants Plays in the sandbox Region: California Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all!
Composter Cactus and Succulents Dragonflies Hummingbirder Amaryllis Container Gardener
Image
tarev
May 18, 2020 10:41 AM CST
That is lovely! It is indeed going to make its tiny flowers. Looks like you got Euphorbia anoplia. With Euphorbias, either you get a male or female one.

Here are old 2016 file photos of my Euphorbia anoplia when it was in flowering mode:

Thumb of 2020-05-18/tarev/4543ef Thumb of 2020-05-18/tarev/364f2a

[Last edited by tarev - May 18, 2020 10:41 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2243018 (4)

amm13
May 18, 2020 10:57 AM CST
tarev said:That is lovely! It is indeed going to make its tiny flowers. Looks like you got Euphorbia anoplia. With Euphorbias, either you get a male or female one.

Here are old 2016 file photos of my Euphorbia anoplia when it was in flowering mode:

Thumb of 2020-05-18/tarev/4543ef Thumb of 2020-05-18/tarev/364f2a



Weee!! Thanks for sharing! It was struggling majorly for a while so I'm happy to see that it's bouncing back Smiling
Name: tarev
San Joaquin County, CA (Zone 9b)
Stay Home-Save Lives-Wear a Mask!
Cat Lover Houseplants Plays in the sandbox Region: California Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all!
Composter Cactus and Succulents Dragonflies Hummingbirder Amaryllis Container Gardener
Image
tarev
May 18, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Keep us posted how it goes! It would like a bit more light and warmth to continue encouraging those blooms.
Name: Baja
Baja California (Zone 11b)
Cactus and Succulents Seed Starter Foliage Fan Xeriscape Container Gardener Hummingbirder
Native Plants and Wildflowers Garden Photography Region: Mexico Plant Identifier Forum moderator Plant Database Moderator
Image
Baja_Costero
May 18, 2020 11:10 AM CST
To go along with Tarev's photo of a male plant, here's a female:



Now you can sex your Euphorbia when the blooms open! Smiling

It needs more light than it is currently receiving. Look at the width of the stem near the base compared to higher up. The lower width is normal, the upper width is etiolated (stretching). Stronger light will also give you more flowers. Ideally the plant should be right in front of the window and "see" the sun for hours a day year round.

Be very careful not to overwater after repotting... just make sure the soil is dry at depth before you water again and you should be good to go.
[Last edited by Baja_Costero - May 18, 2020 11:11 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2243072 (7)

amm13
May 18, 2020 11:55 AM CST
Baja_Costero said:To go along with Tarev's photo of a male plant, here's a female:



Now you can sex your Euphorbia when the blooms open! Smiling

It needs more light than it is currently receiving. Look at the width of the stem near the base compared to higher up. The lower width is normal, the upper width is etiolated (stretching). Stronger light will also give you more flowers. Ideally the plant should be right in front of the window and "see" the sun for hours a day year round.

Be very careful not to overwater after repotting... just make sure the soil is dry at depth before you water again and you should be good to go.


Ahh gotcha. I moved it over so it's in the middle. I always liked how goofy it looked all stretched out and twisty - never knew it meant it was hungry for light! Thank you for the tip Smiling

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Houseplants forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by arctangent and is called "Nine of Ninebark"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.