Ask a Question forum→Dying Dracaena?

Views: 101, Replies: 8 » Jump to the end
London
laraval
May 18, 2020 9:16 AM CST
I have had this draceana for a few months now, it was all going well at first until I moved, ever since the journey the plant wont stop drooping, it seems to neither be dying but not really growing or looking healthy either. I water it only when the soil is dry 2 inches down, spray it, and keep it in bright light, I really can not figure out what is going wrong. It occasionally makes a recovery and perks up but overall it looks like it is dying. This is what it has looked like the past week or so. Would anyone be able to help?

Thank you
Thumb of 2020-05-18/laraval/8eafd3
Thumb of 2020-05-18/laraval/abcf95

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
May 18, 2020 9:42 AM CST
Your Dracaena is probably reacting to its change in environment, particularly the light. It adapts to such changes by shedding some of its older leaves while growing new ones on top.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
London
laraval
May 18, 2020 9:50 AM CST
WillC said:Your Dracaena is probably reacting to its change in environment, particularly the light. It adapts to such changes by shedding some of its older leaves while growing new ones on top.


Thanks for the reply, its been in this new space for over 2 months now, would it still be adapting?
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
May 18, 2020 9:56 AM CST
Yes, if the change in light intensity was significant, then all of the older lower leaves will gradually die back. I addition, even without a change in light, it is normal for older leaves to die back slowly as new growth grows on top. As long as it is not losing more leaves than it is gaining then it is probably okay.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
London
laraval
May 18, 2020 9:57 AM CST
WillC said:Yes, if the change in light intensity was significant, then all of the older lower leaves will gradually die back. I addition, even without a change in light, it is normal for older leaves to die back slowly as new growth grows on top. As long as it is not losing more leaves than it is gaining then it is probably okay.


ok great thanks!
London
laraval
May 21, 2020 7:30 AM CST
WillC said:Yes, if the change in light intensity was significant, then all of the older lower leaves will gradually die back. I addition, even without a change in light, it is normal for older leaves to die back slowly as new growth grows on top. As long as it is not losing more leaves than it is gaining then it is probably okay.


I have started to think that there really is not much growth happening at all, I dont think it is gaining more leaves, is there anything I should be doing?
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
May 21, 2020 7:40 AM CST
I do see some healthy new leaves in the photos you posted. As long as the newest leaves remain healthy, you are on the right track.

One of the most common mistakes is to become impatient and to take a drastic measure that may cause really serious problems, so I urge caution and patience.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
London
laraval
May 21, 2020 8:03 AM CST
WillC said:I do see some healthy new leaves in the photos you posted. As long as the newest leaves remain healthy, you are on the right track.

One of the most common mistakes is to become impatient and to take a drastic measure that may cause really serious problems, so I urge caution and patience.


ok great, I will be more patient, thanks so much for the help
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
May 21, 2020 8:06 AM CST
Thumbs up
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Heart of darkness"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.