Post a reply

Image
May 22, 2020 1:35 PM CST
Missouri
Hi, I planted my Zephirine Drouhin Climbing Roseabout 3 wks ago (as bare roots), and it's been doing quite well until today, when I noticed that its growing tips have suddenly lost vigor and look like are wilting, all of them. Thanks for any advice.
---for some reason I am having troubles loading the picture.
Last edited by Leaf2 May 22, 2020 1:44 PM Icon for preview
Image
May 22, 2020 2:19 PM CST
Name: Seth n Sam .....
W.V. (Zone 6a)
Are you giving it sufficient waterings? Bare roots need more waterings than container planted Roses..... I have several bare root roses planted this year in the ground. I water them about every 3-4 days depending on how hot it's been.
Image
May 22, 2020 2:40 PM CST
Coastal Southern California (Zone 13a)
Your area is getting rain every day? Am I right?

If that is the case, your rose might have a drainage problem. They "like" to get a good watering, and then be allowed to dry out a little before the next watering.

In continued days of rain, if the drainage is not wonderful, water can build up. If it's sitting in standing water, your rose could actually be drowning.
Image
May 22, 2020 2:53 PM CST
Missouri
Weluvroses said:Are you giving it sufficient waterings? Bare roots need more waterings than container planted Roses..... I have several bare root roses planted this year in the ground. I water them about every 3-4 days depending on how hot it's been.

Thanks for response, Weluvroses. We did have 2 weeks of almost non-stop rain, and I checked the soil...it was still wet.
Image
May 22, 2020 2:55 PM CST
Missouri
jerijen said:Your area is getting rain every day? Am I right?

If that is the case, your rose might have a drainage problem. They "like" to get a good watering, and then be allowed to dry out a little before the next watering.

In continued days of rain, if the drainage is not wonderful, water can build up. If it's sitting in standing water, your rose could actually be drowning.


Hi jerijen, you are right, it rained non-stop here for some time. Something to consider...thanks much!
Image
May 22, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Coastal Southern California (Zone 13a)
Leaf, there is only one place on our property where we found poor drainage. Dug the hole. Filled it with water. It just SAT. Took hours to disappear.

We had to make a French Drain. Dug down another 15 inches or so, and filled that extra hole with gravel. Planted on top of that, the rose succeeded, because the water had somewhere to go.
Image
May 22, 2020 8:01 PM CST
Missouri
jerijen said:Leaf, there is only one place on our property where we found poor drainage. Dug the hole. Filled it with water. It just SAT. Took hours to disappear.

We had to make a French Drain. Dug down another 15 inches or so, and filled that extra hole with gravel. Planted on top of that, the rose succeeded, because the water had somewhere to go.


Thanks for the tip!
Image
May 22, 2020 8:22 PM CST
Name: seil
St Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6a)
Garden Photography Region: Michigan Roses
When ever you plant a new rose in a new spot you should do a drainage check. Dig the hole for your rose then fill it with water and walk away. Come back about an hour later and check it. If the hole is mostly drained and empty your OK. If the hole is still nearly full of water you need to go deeper and repeat the test or do what Jeri suggested with the gravel.
Image
May 22, 2020 8:58 PM CST
Missouri
seilMI said:When ever you plant a new rose in a new spot you should do a drainage check. Dig the hole for your rose then fill it with water and walk away. Come back about an hour later and check it. If the hole is mostly drained and empty your OK. If the hole is still nearly full of water you need to go deeper and repeat the test or do what Jeri suggested with the gravel.

Excelent ideea, thanks seiIMI.
Avatar for Trella
May 31, 2020 3:32 PM CST
Name: Trella
Arkansas (Zone 8a)
If your roses have already been in the ground a few months before your realize you have poor drainage, is it safe to dig them up and do the gravel thing?
Image
May 31, 2020 5:24 PM CST
Name: seil
St Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6a)
Garden Photography Region: Michigan Roses
It's a choice between digging it up or having it die from root rot. Yes, digging it up will probably cause some root damage and transplant shock but if you don't the rose will slowly die from loss of the drowning root ball.
Avatar for Trella
Jun 4, 2020 1:28 PM CST
Name: Trella
Arkansas (Zone 8a)
What a choice, though! Do you know of any other possible solutions?
Avatar for porkpal
Jun 4, 2020 3:47 PM CST
Name: Porkpal
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
Cat Lover Charter ATP Member Keeper of Poultry I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Dog Lover Keeps Horses
Roses Plant Identifier Farmer Raises cows Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Garden Ideas: Level 2
Build a french drain along the rose bed.
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
  • Started by: Leaf2
  • Replies: 12, views: 462
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Mike and is called "Petunia 'Picasso'"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.