Peonies forum→Is the spacing ok? Advice welcome.

Views: 420, Replies: 13 » Jump to the end

PeonyNewb
May 26, 2020 12:51 PM CST
I recently acquired these from a friend who's backyard was being redone. I'm in some 5b. Since moving I realized I planted them in a place where there was too much coverage from a tree. So I moved them all here. The only spot I had Glare
Anyway, i had planted on the other spots 3 weeks ago. None of the Lil buds made it with the exception of ONE. So cheers to that.
Now, today I loved the other 2 (right large one and the one to the left/front) to the same are as the one w the surviving bud. Sun peeks through since 9:30am, with full sun coming in from 11:00 until about 4:30/5pm.
Sunwise and soil I think I'm good. Just wondering about spacing and if I planted deep/shallow enough? Sticking tongue out

Thank you for all your help.
Thumb of 2020-05-26/PeonyNewb/a8eb7a

Thumb of 2020-05-26/PeonyNewb/3a66a0

Thumb of 2020-05-26/PeonyNewb/08ce5f

Name: Anya
Fairbanks, AK (Zone 3a)
Cat Lover
Image
anyagoro
May 26, 2020 2:50 PM CST
Welcome! PeonyNewb! you are lucky to get these big peonies! I plant my peonies at 3 foot distance. Anyway yours will grow and flower, maybe not as much as they could.

PeonyNewb
May 26, 2020 5:53 PM CST
Thank you. As long as they flower, I'll take as a victory :)

I'm just so nervous. Moving them twice. Etc. arghhhh. I'd die if I kill these D'Oh!

PeonyNewb
May 26, 2020 6:22 PM CST
Anyone else care to give an input? Thank you Thank You!
Name: Elena
NYC (Zone 7a)
Daylilies Spiders! Plant and/or Seed Trader Winter Sowing Hybridizer Peonies
Garden Procrastinator Container Gardener Composter Organic Gardener Seed Starter Vegetable Grower
Image
bxncbx
May 26, 2020 6:45 PM CST
I'm guessing since you got these from a friend you have some idea of their full size.

I was once in your shoes & planted 3 peonies very close together. At the time it seemed like the best choice for my small yard. Now that they've reached full size I would have probably move one a little further away.

But..they all bloom beautifully. They are just starting now (late this year) so I don't have pictures. But Coral Charm has 10-15 flowers. One NOID has about 20 flowers. And one I think is Sorbet has about 40 buds.

Mine mostly get morning & midday sun and are planted under an old apple tree. I think you'll be fine bloom-wise but powdery mildew may be an issue. It is on my plants come midsummer. Not enough air circulation.
Name: Alex
Toronto, Ontario
Region: Canadian
Image
AlexUnder
May 26, 2020 8:18 PM CST
@PeonyNewb You should not expect any blooms this year if you just moved them twice this spring, but generally they will survive. Could be a little ugly this summer. Do not overwater them when you see some of the foliage goes brown. Not more than once a week in a super dry, hot weather. Do not fertilize this year if you moved them this spring. I would say they are too close to reach the full potential. Suggest to cover them against sun for quite some time. Hard to judge the depth from the pictures.

PeonyNewb
May 26, 2020 9:42 PM CST
Thank you all.
I appreciate the help. To be honest, at this point I guess it is wait and see next spring.

The ones on the left are technically smaller ones that she had split, the one on the right , from what I understand. Wouldn't get much larger, but then again....she had it wedged against a shed and many rocks/raised beds, etc.

I think I'm going to let it be. We will be getting tons of rain, so I'm hoping it won't hurt then D'Oh!

Zone 5b for reference...not sure if I mentioned. Thank you again.

PeonyNewb
May 26, 2020 9:46 PM CST
AlexUnder said:@PeonyNewb You should not expect any blooms this year if you just moved them twice this spring, but generally they will survive. Could be a little ugly this summer. Do not overwater them when you see some of the foliage goes brown. Not more than once a week in a super dry, hot weather. Do not fertilize this year if you moved them this spring. I would say they are too close to reach the full potential. Suggest to cover them against sun for quite some time. Hard to judge the depth from the pictures.


Oh and to clarify, only the front left one and right one were moved twice, back one is in the same spot, and is also the one with the surviving bud Sticking tongue out
Name: LG
Nashvillle (Zone 7a)
Peonies Hummingbirder Hostas Region: Tennessee Butterflies Garden Photography
Forum moderator
Image
Mieko2
May 27, 2020 2:56 AM CST

Moderator

I would have planted them a little further apart. Do not move them now! I've never seen spring transplanted peonies look so good. You are obviously doing it right.

So wait until they are completely dormant in the fall and space them further apart if you can. This will help with the air circulation to prevent powdery mildew.

LG - My garden grows with love and a lot of hard work.

PeonyNewb
May 27, 2020 8:41 AM CST
Mieko2 said:I would have planted them a little further apart. Do not move them now! I've never seen spring transplanted peonies look so good. You are obviously doing it right.

So wait until they are completely dormant in the fall and space them further apart if you can. This will help with the air circulation to prevent powdery mildew.



Thank you. I was going to spread a bit to the left, but, cables under the ground Thumbs down
And to the right I have many other plants. We shall see. I'm leaving them be now.

I agree, I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop because they are looking so good. Did I just jinx myself? Rolling my eyes. Thinking

PeonyNewb
May 27, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Here's the one surviving bud today Sticking tongue out
Thumb of 2020-05-27/PeonyNewb/247595

Name: Tracey
Midwest (Zone 5a)
Forum moderator Hybridizer Tomato Heads Pollen collector Hosted a Not-A-Raffle-Raffle Cat Lover
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator Charter ATP Member Garden Photography Seed Starter Region: Wisconsin
Image
magnolialover
May 28, 2020 5:21 AM CST

Moderator

Congratulations on your acquisition. 2 1/2-3 ft spacing is optimal for air circulation and root development. You can always move them in a fall (not necessarily this fall) after they have become more stablished if you have another location available. that has a good amount of sun.

PeonyNewb
May 28, 2020 11:54 AM CST
magnolialover said:Congratulations on your acquisition. 2 1/2-3 ft spacing is optimal for air circulation and root development. You can always move them in a fall (not necessarily this fall) after they have become more stablished if you have another location available. that has a good amount of sun.


Thank you ☺️

PeonyNewb
May 28, 2020 4:59 PM CST
magnolialover said:Congratulations on your acquisition. 2 1/2-3 ft spacing is optimal for air circulation and root development. You can always move them in a fall (not necessarily this fall) after they have become more stablished if you have another location available. that has a good amount of sun.


Thank you ☺️

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Peonies forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Heart of darkness"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.