The daylilies came through early spring looking amazing due to generally milder temperatures and lots of rain ... until 2-3 weeks back when I noticed a lot of tan foliage. Closer inspection revealed that they were dripping with aphids! My daylily friend in the next town experienced the same.
While contemplating what to do, I blasted many of them with a stream of water from the hose.
Meanwhile, I saw a few ladybugs which made me hopeful. I also had other problems in the garden so I sprayed everything with Monterey Disease Control, which contains a bacillus and shouldn't harm good bugs.
Now, about 8-9 days later, I didn't notice lady bugs but there are ladybug larvae EVERYWHERE on the daylilies, which are looking much better (after I pull off the dry tan foliage). I even see a few lady bug pupae. Hooray for Mother Nature!!!
I did a bit of research on the web to make sure I knew what I was seeing. I recommend everyone become familiar with all the stages of the ladybug (ladybird) development if you don't already know. WARNING - there are some rather graphic videos out there - don't watch those if you have a weak stomach.