Ask a Question forum→new gardener, zucchini question

Views: 151, Replies: 9 » Jump to the end
Arkansas
awgraham81
Jun 2, 2020 2:03 PM CST
So I planted my very first garden this spring, one of the things I planted is zucchini. I already know Im going to have to pollenate the females myself, since we dont have any bees around here. Ive searched the web, but cant find the answer to my question.

I have some female flowers that look like they are about to bloom, but I dont have any male flowers bloomed. Do they typically bloom at the same time? I know the female flowers only bloom for 1 day, I dont want to lose my first fruits because they didnt get pollenated. Also, how long do the male blooms stay open?

Any help is appreciated
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Image
DaisyI
Jun 2, 2020 4:12 PM CST
Male flowers usually bloom first. When the plant is mature, female flowers will start to bloom.
Unless there are little zucchini babies attached to the base of the flower, what you are seeing are male flowers.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org
Name: Lee-Roy
Bilzen, Belgium (Zone 8a)
Irises Lilies Hostas Ferns Composter Region: Belgium
Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Region: Europe
Image
Arico
Jun 2, 2020 4:34 PM CST
Oops, I quoted the wrong one (edit):

awgraham81 said:So I planted my very first garden this spring, one of the things I planted is zucchini. I already know Im going to have to pollenate the females myself, since we dont have any bees around here. Ive searched the web, but cant find the answer to my question.

I have some female flowers that look like they are about to bloom, but I dont have any male flowers bloomed. Do they typically bloom at the same time? I know the female flowers only bloom for 1 day, I dont want to lose my first fruits because they didnt get pollenated. Also, how long do the male blooms stay open?

Any help is appreciated


Bees aren't the only pollinators in the world. So unless a plant has one obligate pollinator, I wouldn't go through too much trouble
[Last edited by Arico - Jun 3, 2020 2:53 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2260769 (3)
Arkansas
awgraham81
Jun 2, 2020 4:59 PM CST
DaisyI said:Male flowers usually bloom first. When the plant is mature, female flowers will start to bloom.
Unless there are little zucchini babies attached to the base of the flower, what you are seeing are male flowers.



Im fairly certain these are female, check out the pic
Thumb of 2020-06-02/awgraham81/1ff590

Name: Dillard Haley
Augusta Georgia (Zone 8a)
Garden Ideas: Master Level Avid Green Pages Reviewer Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
farmerdill
Jun 2, 2020 5:10 PM CST
Most modern varieties are bred for production and the females come first. Sometimes I will plant an old timer early to have male flowers to use for hand pollination. Hand pollinating squash is VERY easy. Just pluck a male flower, strip the petals and use it like a paint brush to pollinate the female flowers. One male flower will pollinate half a dozen females. Squash blossoms are usually one day, so get to the early in the morning. A male blossom from any C. pepo will work, crook neck, straight neck, scallops, acorn, delicata, some pumpkins.
[Last edited by farmerdill - Jun 2, 2020 5:15 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2260797 (5)
Name: sumire
Reno, Nevada (Zone 6a)
Image
sumire
Jun 2, 2020 5:12 PM CST
Yep. You have both male and female flowers in that picture.

I agree with Arico, there are many pollinators that will pollinate zucchini: bees, solitary bees, flies, ants, moths.... If you are worried about pollination though, take a clean paint brush (one of those little ones) and go out first thing in the morning to pollinate. Whisk the brush through the male flowers and back through the female flowers, alternating. You will have to be thorough, it takes multiple pollinations to yield a proper squash (and not one that is well, squashed). I think the estimate is that female squash flowers take 15 pollinations naturally.

Edit: I like farmer dill's idea of using the flower as a paintbrush!
www.sumiredesigns.com
[Last edited by sumire - Jun 2, 2020 5:13 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2260800 (6)
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Image
DaisyI
Jun 2, 2020 5:36 PM CST
Arico said:

Bees aren't the only pollinators in the world. So unless a plant has one obligate pollinator, I wouldn't go through too much trouble


I was going to add a list of other pollinators but hit 'send' instead. I see Sumire helped me out.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Image
DaisyI
Jun 2, 2020 5:38 PM CST
awgraham81 said:

Im fairly certain these are female, check out the pic
Thumb of 2020-06-02/awgraham81/1ff590



Perfect stir-fry size. Smiling
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org
Arkansas
awgraham81
Jun 2, 2020 7:40 PM CST
Thanks for the help, everyone! This is all good info. I go and check them each morning, Im loving watching everything grow.
Name: Lee-Roy
Bilzen, Belgium (Zone 8a)
Irises Lilies Hostas Ferns Composter Region: Belgium
Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Region: Europe
Image
Arico
Jun 3, 2020 2:54 PM CST
DaisyI said:

I was going to add a list of other pollinators but hit 'send' instead. I see Sumire helped me out.


I quoted the wrong person Rolling on the floor laughing

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by arctangent and is called "Time for Bed"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.