Ask a Question forum→Acclimating Tropical Plants

Views: 639, Replies: 9 » Jump to the end
Canada
ollie_roz
Jun 4, 2020 9:16 AM CST
Hey Guys, so i just ordered some plants overseas and i have no clue how to acclimate them! Do i stick them in water right away, soil, or sphagnum moss?
Do i have to get a mini greenhouse to keep the humidity? Any insight would be much appreciated :)
Name: one-eye-luke US.Vet.
Texas (Zone 8a)
Quitter's never Win
Hummingbirder Birds Organic Gardener Dog Lover Cat Lover
oneeyeluke
Jun 4, 2020 9:19 AM CST
What kind of plants do you have coming?
NOT A EXPERT! Just a grow worm! I never met a plant I didn’t love.✌
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
Jun 4, 2020 9:27 AM CST
The most importnat consideration id how you pot them up, assuming they arrive in decent condition with healthy roots.

When they arrive, I suggest that you post a photo that shows the plants in the condition in which they arrive and before you attempt to put them in water or moss or soil. You will get a reply here pretty promptly. In the interim, keep the roots damp but undisturbed.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
Canada
ollie_roz
Jun 4, 2020 9:31 AM CST
oneeyeluke said:What kind of plants do you have coming?


Monsteras and philodendrons Smiling
Canada
ollie_roz
Jun 4, 2020 9:33 AM CST
WillC said:The most importnat consideration id how you pot them up, assuming they arrive in decent condition with healthy roots.

When they arrive, I suggest that you post a photo that shows the plants in the condition in which they arrive and before you attempt to put them in water or moss or soil. You will get a reply here pretty promptly. In the interim, keep the roots damp but undisturbed.


Thanks for the reply will! I will post a photo as soon as i receive them, so i shouldn't rush to stick them in some water right away?
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
Jun 4, 2020 9:38 AM CST
As long as moisture is maintained around the roots, as it has been during shipping, they should be fine for at least several days. It's better to get them off to a good start than to rush into doing something inappropriate.

If they arrive in poor condition, can they be returned?
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
Canada
ollie_roz
Jun 4, 2020 10:01 AM CST
WillC said:As long as moisture is maintained around the roots, as it has been during shipping, they should be fine for at least several days. It's better to get them off to a good start than to rush into doing something inappropriate.

If they arrive in poor condition, can they be returned?


No they cant be returned, im taking a pretty big risk on these plants. They are coming from Thailand and im in Canada so it will be a long journey for them, i just want to be prepared for when they arrive to give them the best chance possible
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
Jun 4, 2020 10:08 AM CST
Since the outset of the pandemic, there are many folks taking advantage of that by selling plants online. Many of those sellers are living in warm climates where the plants grow abundantly outdoors. They take some cuttings and ship them in a variety of conditions. Buying online from a nonprofessional grower is taking a big chance.

I hope your source is reputable but be prepared for the worst.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
Canada
ollie_roz
Jun 4, 2020 10:16 AM CST
WillC said:Since the outset of the pandemic, there are many folks taking advantage of that by selling plants online. Many of those sellers are living in warm climates where the plants grow abundantly outdoors. They take some cuttings and ship them in a variety of conditions. Buying online from a nonprofessional grower is taking a big chance.

I hope your source is reputable but be prepared for the worst.


Canada has some pretty strict import rules so i had to get an import permit and it has to be a reputable seller that provides phytosanitary certificates, My expectations are pretty low since they are coming from so far away but hoping for the best!
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Prof. plant consultant & educator
Image
WillC
Jun 4, 2020 12:48 PM CST
I look forward to seeing them when they arrive!
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
Contact me directly at [email protected]
I now have a book available on indoor plant care

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Monkey Flower"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.