Ask a Question forum→Suggestions on a year round bulb garden

Page 1 of 2 • 1 2
Views: 697, Replies: 25 » Jump to the end
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 28, 2020 11:17 AM CST
Hello all, new member here!

I have purchased a home in Albuquerque, NM. My job has me out of town A LOT so I am trying to come up with a semi low maintenance bulb garden that can be planted in an existing 2x10 foot raised bed. It gets full sun and I'm zone 7B

I am far from a designer and tried looking through some options and there are just too many to choose from. The previous owner filled the bed with Irises which were lovely earlier this year, and I put some Gladiolus in there, but it's time I think to get it ready for next year. I've attached a photo and I'd like to just load it up with as many plants as it can properly hold. I will be digging up and dividing the Iris this weekend and was hoping to get some goodies ordered to add to the mix.

Thank you!
Jessica
Thumb of 2020-08-28/maui1girl/e97e1b

Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Container Gardener Lilies Cat Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Zinnias
Organic Gardener Heirlooms Bee Lover Hummingbirder Echinacea Tomato Heads
Image
gardenfish
Aug 28, 2020 1:40 PM CST
Hello, A mix of spring and summer bulbs might work. You could try daffodils/narcissus and species tulips for spring, and add some border asiatic lilies and border dahlias for summer and fall.Other good bulges could be crinum, although many tend to get big. Spider lilies ( lycoris) would be a good late bloomer.These would work well in your zone, Nd don't require a lot of water.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 28, 2020 3:00 PM CST
gardenfish said:Hello, A mix of spring and summer bulbs might work. You could try daffodils/narcissus and species tulips for spring, and add some border asiatic lilies and border dahlias for summer and fall.Other good bulges could be crinum, although many tend to get big. Spider lilies ( lycoris) would be a good late bloomer.These would work well in your zone, Nd don't require a lot of water.


Thank you for the thorough answer! I really hadn't thought about the border idea, I was visualizing sort of clumps that moved their way across the planter lol, a border is a MUCH better idea.

I do expect that several of these Irises will be replanted in there as well, but as you can see they are WAY over crowded and need to be divided and reduced to just the best Rhizomes (I think)
Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Container Gardener Lilies Cat Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Zinnias
Organic Gardener Heirlooms Bee Lover Hummingbirder Echinacea Tomato Heads
Image
gardenfish
Aug 28, 2020 5:14 PM CST
Your welcome! You can keep the best iris rhizomes, and give a friend some!
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Name: Zoë
Albuquerque NM, Elev 5310 ft (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Herbs Salvias Composter Bee Lover Container Gardener
Bookworm Cat Lover Enjoys or suffers hot summers
Image
NMoasis
Aug 28, 2020 9:10 PM CST
Welcome! Maui1girl. Are you new to Albuquerque gardening or just new to the house?

I've done well with ornamental onions. This little guy persists despite total neglect and blooms summer into fall...I plant to divide it this year, and I've ordered some blue ones that should arrive next month. Daffs and tulips always do well in the spring. Some summer-bloomers might get burned without partial shade. Is that bed in full sun? Any irrigation?

For me, gardening is really just an excuse for playing in the dirt. Admittedly, plants are a satisfying by-product.
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 29, 2020 7:09 AM CST
nmoasis said: Welcome! Maui1girl. Are you new to Albuquerque gardening or just new to the house?

I've done well with ornamental onions. This little guy persists despite total neglect and blooms summer into fall...I plant to divide it this year, and I've ordered some blue ones that should arrive next month. Daffs and tulips always do well in the spring. Some summer-bloomers might get burned without partial shade. Is that bed in full sun? Any irrigation?




Hurray! I've been in Albuquerque for about 2.5 years, was living in an apartment 😁

The planter is in full sun all day and has drip irrigation as do my trees and a few potted plants I've got out there. Any chance you want to swap some Irises for some of your ornamental onions? I'm going to have a TON of extra
Name: Zoë
Albuquerque NM, Elev 5310 ft (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Herbs Salvias Composter Bee Lover Container Gardener
Bookworm Cat Lover Enjoys or suffers hot summers
Image
NMoasis
Aug 29, 2020 8:46 AM CST
I grew bearded iris in California years ago, but haven't since being in Abq and have been thinking about it lately. What do you have? Colors? Any pix? Either way, you're welcome to some onions if I can pry them out, and it would be good to check about dividing iris this late. We can check with the pros in the iris forum (I always learned mid-summer). Onions will be awhile; they're still blooming.
For me, gardening is really just an excuse for playing in the dirt. Admittedly, plants are a satisfying by-product.
Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Container Gardener Lilies Cat Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Zinnias
Organic Gardener Heirlooms Bee Lover Hummingbirder Echinacea Tomato Heads
Image
gardenfish
Aug 29, 2020 8:55 AM CST
Zoe, right now is a good time to divide iris in our zone. We always do ours in one of our mg gardens, just make sure they are watered after dividing, it's usually very dry this time of the year.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Name: Zoë
Albuquerque NM, Elev 5310 ft (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Herbs Salvias Composter Bee Lover Container Gardener
Bookworm Cat Lover Enjoys or suffers hot summers
Image
NMoasis
Aug 29, 2020 10:50 AM CST
gardenfish said:Zoe, right now is a good time to divide iris in our zone. We always do ours in one of our mg gardens, just make sure they are watered after dividing, it's usually very dry this time of the year.


Thanks, Lynda. I figure if they have time to dry a bit and root before freeze, they should be good. If I don't have a spot, any problem with potting and planting in the spring? Sorry to sound so newbie. I haven't grown iris for almost 20 years, and then in a very different climate. Confused

For me, gardening is really just an excuse for playing in the dirt. Admittedly, plants are a satisfying by-product.
Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Container Gardener Lilies Cat Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Zinnias
Organic Gardener Heirlooms Bee Lover Hummingbirder Echinacea Tomato Heads
Image
gardenfish
Aug 29, 2020 1:38 PM CST
I wouldn't think so. I have carried a lot of plants through the winter potted up until spring. I just cover them if it gets too cold, like down in the teens for several nights, but we don't seem to have those low temps any more. I have two rosemaries that are potted, they make it through the winters here just fine.I have covered them on occasion. One is 17 years old, one is 6. If they can make it, irises should have no issues. I place them against a south wall.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 29, 2020 1:41 PM CST
nmoasis said:I grew bearded iris in California years ago, but haven't since being in Abq and have been thinking about it lately. What do you have? Colors? Any pix? Either way, you're welcome to some onions if I can pry them out, and it would be good to check about dividing iris this late. We can check with the pros in the iris forum (I always learned mid-summer). Onions will be awhile; they're still blooming.


I was supposed to have done it in July, so we are a bit late, but I don't think it would be devastating 🤔
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 29, 2020 1:45 PM CST
nmoasis said:I grew bearded iris in California years ago, but haven't since being in Abq and have been thinking about it lately. What do you have? Colors? Any pix? Either way, you're welcome to some onions if I can pry them out, and it would be good to check about dividing iris this late. We can check with the pros in the iris forum (I always learned mid-summer). Onions will be awhile; they're still blooming.



Thumb of 2020-08-29/maui1girl/0fa736

Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Container Gardener Lilies Cat Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Zinnias
Organic Gardener Heirlooms Bee Lover Hummingbirder Echinacea Tomato Heads
Image
gardenfish
Aug 29, 2020 1:58 PM CST
Very pretty! I have some the exact same colors.Purple and yellow go fabulous together.

Thumb of 2020-08-29/gardenfish/06f425


Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 30, 2020 10:28 AM CST
Holy cow, what have I gotten myself in to?

How do I divide these things?
Thumb of 2020-08-30/maui1girl/0bc053
Thumb of 2020-08-30/maui1girl/6d7a16

[Last edited by maui1girl - Aug 30, 2020 10:29 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2338910 (14)
Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Container Gardener Lilies Cat Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Zinnias
Organic Gardener Heirlooms Bee Lover Hummingbirder Echinacea Tomato Heads
Image
gardenfish
Aug 30, 2020 11:02 AM CST
Not as difficult as it seems! Gently pull apart so that you have a tuber with a nice sized fan ( group of leaves) attached. Cut away any damaged or shriveled tubers.You can do this! I got confidence in you! Thumbs up
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Name: Zoë
Albuquerque NM, Elev 5310 ft (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Herbs Salvias Composter Bee Lover Container Gardener
Bookworm Cat Lover Enjoys or suffers hot summers
Image
NMoasis
Aug 30, 2020 12:36 PM CST
I agree with Gardenfish. What she said, with good sharp clippers or knife. Don't be reluctant to toss the small, discolored, damaged, chewed, iffy pieces. That's the mistake I used to make...couldn't bring myself to throw anything away that looked liked it might remotely survive and ended up with too many marginal performers. Time and experience has taught that they're not worth saving, and the healthy ones will flourish and multiply. (Sort of the same same rule for cleaning out the refrigerator...if you have to debate whether it's "still okay" it's not. Toss it. Hilarious! )

Then, leave them in the sun for a day to dry the cut ends. Don't cut off the roots.
For me, gardening is really just an excuse for playing in the dirt. Admittedly, plants are a satisfying by-product.
[Last edited by nmoasis - Aug 30, 2020 12:37 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2339005 (16)
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 30, 2020 1:08 PM CST
nmoasis said: I agree with Gardenfish. What she said, with good sharp clippers or knife. Don't be reluctant to toss the small, discolored, damaged, chewed, iffy pieces. That's the mistake I used to make...couldn't bring myself to throw anything away that looked liked it might remotely survive and ended up with too many marginal performers. Time and experience has taught that they're not worth saving, and the healthy ones will flourish and multiply. (Sort of the same same rule for cleaning out the refrigerator...if you have to debate whether it's "still okay" it's not. Toss it. Hilarious! )

Then, leave them in the sun for a day to dry the cut ends. Don't cut off the roots.


Ooh! Glad you said something about leaving them in the sun for a day!

Is it normal that there are so many smaller roots that just fall away when I hose them off?
Here is a before photo
Thumb of 2020-08-30/maui1girl/753502

Here is what I've already done

Thumb of 2020-08-30/maui1girl/832584
Thumb of 2020-08-30/maui1girl/9c75bd
Thumb of 2020-08-30/maui1girl/ba8d3a

Name: Lynda Horn
Arkansas (Zone 7b)
Eat more tomatoes!
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Container Gardener Lilies Cat Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Zinnias
Organic Gardener Heirlooms Bee Lover Hummingbirder Echinacea Tomato Heads
Image
gardenfish
Aug 30, 2020 2:04 PM CST
Yes, it's normal. You have left plenty of healthy roots on your slips. Lookin good!
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
Albuquerque, NM
maui1girl
Aug 30, 2020 2:18 PM CST
Here they are! I don't think they are all going to fit back in lol!
Thumb of 2020-08-30/maui1girl/fe4e71

Name: Zoë
Albuquerque NM, Elev 5310 ft (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Herbs Salvias Composter Bee Lover Container Gardener
Bookworm Cat Lover Enjoys or suffers hot summers
Image
NMoasis
Aug 30, 2020 2:22 PM CST
Hilarious! Hilarious! Like rabbits!

Did you keep track of the colors? Whistling
For me, gardening is really just an excuse for playing in the dirt. Admittedly, plants are a satisfying by-product.

Page 1 of 2 • 1 2

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by arctangent and is called "Perpetually in bloom"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.