Thirty years ago I got interested in hybridizing roses. But it was very involved. And a bit more than I wanted to tackle. I did have a couple daylilies- I think Hyperion was one. I did harvest a few seeds and raised a few seedlings. Like 10. But we got into breeding and showing guinea pigs and did so successfully for a number of years.
Life tracks on and things happen.
A house fire killed my seedlings and took our life in a totally different direction. But I always had a few daylilies in the garden cause I love them. We moved to our current house 7 years ago. We had a nice enough garden but the last three years it got away from us. Last year our life blew up again and to keep ourselves sane we turned back to the earth and started putting the garden to rights. And to the surviving daylilies we added a few more.
And we realized that it was time to be more serious about hybridizing again. So we spent this year stacking the beds with parent plants. I check the backgrounds in the database here. Because this year I was adding quantity as well as quality I spent less per plant but filled the gaps with seeds from lily auction and some of my own crosses. I have 122 in beds now and 57 more arriving in the spring. I think we went a bit nuts. Hopefully it will come out in the end