Cactus and Succulents forum→cactus or not

Views: 509, Replies: 16 » Jump to the end

shermt
Dec 20, 2020 11:12 PM CST
growing in quartzsite arizona in a garden. what is it?
Thumb of 2020-12-21/shermt/68a9b7


Thumb of 2020-12-21/shermt/06ce70

Name: Stefan
SE europe(balkans) (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Garden Procrastinator Bulbs Foliage Fan
Purslane Bromeliad Container Gardener Houseplants Sedums Sempervivums
Image
skopjecollection
Dec 21, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Looks like some obscure species of cylindropuntia.
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Image
DaisyI
Dec 21, 2020 12:32 PM CST
Maybe Echidnopsis or what used to be Monodenium.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org

shermt
Dec 21, 2020 7:28 PM CST
I checked the web for the suggestions but they did not fit. This cactus has no spines or stickers.

shermt
Dec 21, 2020 10:04 PM CST
Is this a Cereus? It forms a clump of 6-8 tall columnar plants. They are about 3 inch diameter and 5-6 feet tall. They are shrunken because they have not had any water for months..
Thumb of 2020-12-22/shermt/bfe43b

-
Thumb of 2020-12-22/shermt/8a21b6

Name: Stefan
SE europe(balkans) (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Garden Procrastinator Bulbs Foliage Fan
Purslane Bromeliad Container Gardener Houseplants Sedums Sempervivums
Image
skopjecollection
Dec 21, 2020 10:10 PM CST
shermt said:I checked the web for the suggestions but they did not fit. This cactus has no spines or stickers.


I see spines on the photo. Hard to notice until you look at the edge
Can you check if it has latex?
Name: Thijs van Soest
Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b)
Region: Arizona Enjoys or suffers hot summers Cactus and Succulents Xeriscape Adeniums Hybridizer
Plant Identifier Plant and/or Seed Trader Cat Lover Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Image
mcvansoest
Dec 22, 2020 8:53 AM CST
The first plant is cylindropuntia rammosissima 'Nudum' from the looks of it. Aka diamond cholla.

I think the second plant is a Stenocereus, but not sure which one.
It is what it is!
Name: Rose
Colorado (Zone 5b)
Image
romalu
Dec 22, 2020 9:51 AM CST
mcvansoest said:The first plant is cylindropuntia rammosissima 'Nudum' from the looks of it. Aka diamond cholla.

I think the second plant is a Stenocereus, but not sure which one.


They are the same plant -- second photo is a close-up. Sticking tongue out

shermt
Dec 22, 2020 10:14 AM CST
mcvansoest said:The first plant is cylindropuntia rammosissima 'Nudum' from the looks of it. Aka diamond cholla.

I think the second plant is a Stenocereus, but not sure which one.


thanks. I will have to take a closer look at the plant but I did not see any spines. Maybe that's why its called Nudum. The common name diamond cholla fits because the scales are diamond shaped.
Name: John
Pomona/Riverside CA (Zone 9a)
CPPgardener
Dec 22, 2020 10:28 AM CST
Post #1 and post #5 are definitely not the same plant.
“That which is, is.That which happens, happens.” Douglas Adams

shermt
Dec 22, 2020 6:03 PM CST
mcvansoest said:The first plant is cylindropuntia rammosissima 'Nudum' from the looks of it. Aka diamond cholla.

I think the second plant is a Stenocereus, but not sure which one.


I think you are correct. I have diamond cholla and probably stenocereus stellatus
thanks for your help
I'm a northern gardener and have been asked to take care of a big cactus garden in Quartzsite AZ. I don't have any experience with these cactus and especially how often to irrigate. Steep learning curve.
Name: Thijs van Soest
Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b)
Region: Arizona Enjoys or suffers hot summers Cactus and Succulents Xeriscape Adeniums Hybridizer
Plant Identifier Plant and/or Seed Trader Cat Lover Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Image
mcvansoest
Dec 22, 2020 6:26 PM CST
Yep.

If Quartzite was anything like the Phoenix area, it has been a very dry and hot year - from the looks of the Stenocereus that is probably the case.

The Diamond Cholla is one of the most drought tolerant plants I know of, it is probably fine with limited (or no extra) irrigation. The stenocereus probably would like more irrigation, but it is a frost sensitive plant so I would be very careful watering it at the moment because it has been getting pretty cool (I hesitate to say cold) at night. Usually I do not really water my in outside in the ground plants in winter because we usually get some rain. We had a rain storm a few weeks back, but that was the first rain since the one rain storm we had in the summer, since April my area has seen only about 1.5" of rain. If your area is close to that the plants all are very much behind in what they would normally see.
If you have a number of >40F night time lows in the forecast you can probably give the plants a watering, but I would keep it pretty limited. The local plants like the diamond cholla are probably fine with that, but the do not like cold at night plants like the stenocereus probably would not like to be cold AND wet at the same time for very long (though it does happen when it rains). It looks big enough to be well rooted, but it was dry enough that the roots probably are mostly in a dormant state. Both plants will reroot and regrow from cuttings.
It is what it is!

shermt
Dec 23, 2020 4:29 PM CST
mcvansoest said:Yep.

If Quartzite was anything like the Phoenix area, it has been a very dry and hot year - from the looks of the Stenocereus that is probably the case.

The Diamond Cholla is one of the most drought tolerant plants I know of, it is probably fine with limited (or no extra) irrigation. The stenocereus probably would like more irrigation, but it is a frost sensitive plant so I would be very careful watering it at the moment because it has been getting pretty cool (I hesitate to say cold) at night. Usually I do not really water my in outside in the ground plants in winter because we usually get some rain. We had a rain storm a few weeks back, but that was the first rain since the one rain storm we had in the summer, since April my area has seen only about 1.5" of rain. If your area is close to that the plants all are very much behind in what they would normally see.
If you have a number of >40F night time lows in the forecast you can probably give the plants a watering, but I would keep it pretty limited. The local plants like the diamond cholla are probably fine with that, but the do not like cold at night plants like the stenocereus probably would not like to be cold AND wet at the same time for very long (though it does happen when it rains). It looks big enough to be well rooted, but it was dry enough that the roots probably are mostly in a dormant state. Both plants will reroot and regrow from cuttings.


Do you know the name of this cactus I transplanted a year ago and it has grown 2 side shoots.
Thumb of 2020-12-23/shermt/5899c8
another unknown cactus in the garden. Its about 5 feet tall and very thin about 2 inches diam


Thumb of 2020-12-23/shermt/823a3c
It has grown 2 new young on the side. Spines are very small.

Name: Thijs van Soest
Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b)
Region: Arizona Enjoys or suffers hot summers Cactus and Succulents Xeriscape Adeniums Hybridizer
Plant Identifier Plant and/or Seed Trader Cat Lover Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Image
mcvansoest
Dec 23, 2020 4:59 PM CST
It could be what used to be called a Trichocereus pachanoi, I think it is now officially called Echinopsis pachanoi. I have one of them and it has similar somewhat wonky growth styles, and can be almost spineless to spines slightly longer than yours. Takes the full sun pretty well.
It is what it is!

shermt
Dec 23, 2020 6:57 PM CST
mcvansoest said:It could be what used to be called a Trichocereus pachanoi, I think it is now officially called Echinopsis pachanoi. I have one of them and it has similar somewhat wonky growth styles, and can be almost spineless to spines slightly longer than yours. Takes the full sun pretty well.


great thanks. You are a fountain of information. I hope you don't mind helping me. I will have more because I know so little about cactus. Thank You!

[Last edited by shermt - Dec 24, 2020 10:48 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2403838 (15)
Name: Thijs van Soest
Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b)
Region: Arizona Enjoys or suffers hot summers Cactus and Succulents Xeriscape Adeniums Hybridizer
Plant Identifier Plant and/or Seed Trader Cat Lover Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Image
mcvansoest
Dec 24, 2020 11:32 AM CST
Absolutely no problem. As you mentioned before it is a steep learning curve but a great part of being part of a forum like this is sharing experiences and knowledge.
It is what it is!
Name: Sally O'Neil
San Diego, CA (Zone 10a)
Image
sallyaoneil
Jan 1, 2021 3:06 PM CST
I think this looks like the Senecio stapeliiformis.

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Cactus and Succulents forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Amsonia jonesii"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.