Cactus and Succulents forum→Texas freeze killed my plants.

Views: 521, Replies: 16 » Jump to the end
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 18, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Just got my power up after three days in snow without electricity- My grow space would have had a heater through the temperature drop, but obviously that didn't happen. Anyway, I lost over half of my collection, far more plants than I can afford to replace, just nine days after my birthday and I'm devastated.

Anyone wanna send plant pictures and such to cheer a heartbroken grower up?
Name: Donald
Eastland county, Texas (Zone 8a)
Region: Texas Enjoys or suffers hot summers Raises cows Plant Identifier
Image
needrain
Feb 18, 2021 8:30 AM CST
I think a lot of us will have similar scenarios. I was not able to keep my winter storage areas above 32F all the time. It will be a while 'til I know where all the losses may be. Certainly the plants weren't exposed to the extremely low temps nor for a long duration surrounded by freezing air so some will manage and some will have some recovery. But some may be a complete loss. Time will tell. Single digits predicted again tonight, but tomorrow is supposed to get above freezing during the day. After 10 days of constant freezing, I'm looking forward to something warmer and some sun creating warm pockets. But I'm afraid some water leaks may show up with the warmup too. Some of the water lines were hand dug years ago in hard clay and gravel and aren't deep enough for the temps they've had.

Sorry about your plants. I've needed to cut down on the numbers for a while anyway, so I'll be discretionary about what gets replaced.
Donald
Name: Cor
Austin, Tx (Zone 8b)
Cactus and Succulents Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Enjoys or suffers hot summers Container Gardener Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Bee Lover
Image
Corber
Feb 18, 2021 10:27 AM CST
Sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy to lose them. Sad I am thankful that the temp in our house miraculously hasn't dipped below 40 this whole time and that I brought all my outdoor plants inside. They may not be super happy with the inadequate airflow and virtually no light but at least they're at an ok temp. Apparently we will be getting power back soon. I'm hoping today but certainly not holding my breath. Hang in there, stay warm and try to be thankful you at least still have some of your plants. We're gonna get through this

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Name: Thijs van Soest
Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b)
Region: Arizona Enjoys or suffers hot summers Cactus and Succulents Xeriscape Adeniums Hybridizer
Plant Identifier Plant and/or Seed Trader Cat Lover Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Image
mcvansoest
Feb 18, 2021 11:22 AM CST
Yeah I am sure that the plant losses are going to be considerable for many growers. Here this last summer was a huge killer for many old growth landscape cacti that just could not deal with the heat for all those many days above 110F.

I am not sure what kind of plants you were growing, but I am sure that when the time comes (later this spring) there will be plenty of people who would happily send a few plants your way for postage, which I certainly would be happy to do.

I do not have a lot of things in flower but here are some pictures of plants with some colorful flowers going:

Thumb of 2021-02-18/mcvansoest/9065f5 Thumb of 2021-02-18/mcvansoest/546ca0 Thumb of 2021-02-18/mcvansoest/2dcc3a

It is what it is!
Name: TK
Ontario, Canada (Zone 6b)
Cactus and Succulents Sempervivums Adeniums Bromeliad Tropicals Aroids
Hibiscus Sedums Container Gardener
Image
Macrocentra
Feb 18, 2021 12:05 PM CST
I'm sorry you lost your plants. Sad

I only just found out the full extent of what's going on down there from my partner in California, last night. Being Canadian, I've certainly experienced a lot of heavy winter storms, horribly low temperatures, ice storms, power outages, etc. One year, I had my furnace break down in winter and couldn't get anyone out to fix it for a while. It was terribly cold. So I can sympathize with the struggles you guys are going through. I hope things start to improve soon. Group hug

Lots of fleece and sherpas if you have them or can get them. Both are wonderful for keeping warm!

I don't have a lot of blooms to share at the moment. Just some Gonialoe flowers:
Thumb of 2021-02-18/Macrocentra/8e672b
Thumb of 2021-02-18/Macrocentra/acc981

Name: Baja
Baja California (Zone 11b)
Cactus and Succulents Seed Starter Foliage Fan Xeriscape Container Gardener Hummingbirder
Native Plants and Wildflowers Garden Photography Region: Mexico Plant Identifier Forum moderator Plant Database Moderator
Image
Baja_Costero
Feb 18, 2021 9:41 PM CST

Moderator

MotherMycelium said:Anyone wanna send plant pictures and such to cheer a heartbroken grower up?


A very wooly Euphorbia cyathium with at least some of the parts in focus. Smiling

Thumb of 2021-02-19/Baja_Costero/0cafa5
[Last edited by Baja_Costero - Feb 18, 2021 9:42 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #2439399 (6)
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 7:51 AM CST
needrain said:I think a lot of us will have similar scenarios. I was not able to keep my winter storage areas above 32F all the time. It will be a while 'til I know where all the losses may be. Certainly the plants weren't exposed to the extremely low temps nor for a long duration surrounded by freezing air so some will manage and some will have some recovery. But some may be a complete loss. Time will tell. Single digits predicted again tonight, but tomorrow is supposed to get above freezing during the day. After 10 days of constant freezing, I'm looking forward to something warmer and some sun creating warm pockets. But I'm afraid some water leaks may show up with the warmup too. Some of the water lines were hand dug years ago in hard clay and gravel and aren't deep enough for the temps they've had.

Sorry about your plants. I've needed to cut down on the numbers for a while anyway, so I'll be discretionary about what gets replaced.


From what I've seen there's been a lot of losses among gardeners in the state, I can only imagine how much damage this prolonged freeze is going to cause to native plants, not a lot is built to handle this kind of cold.. I hope that your collection pulls through! I'm always broke as hell so my collection is relatively small compared to most other growers, but I lost somewhere around thirty to forty plants, depending on how well some of them pull through.. There's a few that aren't entirely mush that may have some hope left. Some of them I had hope for but it turned out they were just still firm because they were frozen solid..
I'm so so looking forward to spring, I live in a swampy area of south texas so the wet is kind of commonplace in this area at least, so I don't have to worry in that aspect. I hope you're able to keep everything dry!
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Corber said:Sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy to lose them. Sad I am thankful that the temp in our house miraculously hasn't dipped below 40 this whole time and that I brought all my outdoor plants inside. They may not be super happy with the inadequate airflow and virtually no light but at least they're at an ok temp. Apparently we will be getting power back soon. I'm hoping today but certainly not holding my breath. Hang in there, stay warm and try to be thankful you at least still have some of your plants. We're gonna get through this


It really never is, especially as growing is typically my coping mechanism for chronic pain/mental illness issues, a lot of the time my wellbeing is strongly influenced by theirs.. I'm so glad to hear that you've been able to bring them in and keep them safe through all of this! It dropped to like the twenties in my home, seeing as I live in a trailer with poor insulation, even the toilet water froze, and sadly my non-mammal pets didn't make it either, and they were in my bedroom.
Fortunately a lot of plants can handle that kind of mistreatment for a lot longer than they can a freeze at least! They might not be the happiest about it, but they can put up with it! I've been lucky enough to keep power since it came back on yesterday, I'm just hoping it stays- It's been on and off twice before it came on the last time. Fingers crossed!! Stay warm and safe, no warming the house with gas burners! I know it seems obvious but from what I've heard there's already been over 500 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning.. Hopefully it comes on for you soon!!!

I'm definitely thankful to have those that did survive, mostly it was the more hardy cacti, I'm very glad for them as they're some of my favorites, not to mention hardest to replace due to price. Good luck!!
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 8:07 AM CST
mcvansoest said:Yeah I am sure that the plant losses are going to be considerable for many growers. Here this last summer was a huge killer for many old growth landscape cacti that just could not deal with the heat for all those many days above 110F.

I am not sure what kind of plants you were growing, but I am sure that when the time comes (later this spring) there will be plenty of people who would happily send a few plants your way for postage, which I certainly would be happy to do.

I do not have a lot of things in flower but here are some pictures of plants with some colorful flowers going:

Thumb of 2021-02-18/mcvansoest/9065f5 Thumb of 2021-02-18/mcvansoest/546ca0 Thumb of 2021-02-18/mcvansoest/2dcc3a



Oh man, yeah- I lost a lot of plants during the summer too- It's really humid in the area of Texas I live in so first sunburn would hit and then the humidity would make the burned areas rot, it was a disaster.. Thanks climate change! Thumbs down

I would be so so thankful for any gift plants once things get considerably warmer, I lost nearly all of my tropical and epiphytic cacti, softer bodied cacti and succulents, not to mention a lot of non succulent plants that never stood a chance.. The poor orchids in my bathroom are just melted, as well as my monstera deliciosa..

Ooh wow those are stunners! It doesn't really have to be flowering plants, just seeing life is nice, the reminder that there's always room for growth and life, thank you so much!
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 8:14 AM CST
Macrocentra said:I'm sorry you lost your plants. Sad

I only just found out the full extent of what's going on down there from my partner in California, last night. Being Canadian, I've certainly experienced a lot of heavy winter storms, horribly low temperatures, ice storms, power outages, etc. One year, I had my furnace break down in winter and couldn't get anyone out to fix it for a while. It was terribly cold. So I can sympathize with the struggles you guys are going through. I hope things start to improve soon. Group hug

Lots of fleece and sherpas if you have them or can get them. Both are wonderful for keeping warm!

I don't have a lot of blooms to share at the moment. Just some Gonialoe flowers:
Thumb of 2021-02-18/Macrocentra/8e672b
Thumb of 2021-02-18/Macrocentra/acc981

It's been awful here- I moved to Texas from Florida, so this is my very first time ever experiencing snow.. Gotta say, not a fan! Not to mention our house isn't insulated or built for this kind of thing at all, it's a little trailer with holes in the floor here and there, water froze solid inside of the house.. Fortunately our power is up now, it's still cold as hell but at least we have heaters/heating blankets and such now, even though our water isn't turned back on yet in the case that the electric goes back off, which is a real worry..

So far we've been using lots of extra blankets, thermals and layered clothing- I have chronic pain issues that really flare up in the cold so there was no shortage of sweaters at least!

It doesn't need to be flowers, but those are positively gorgeous!!



Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 8:15 AM CST
Baja_Costero said:

A very wooly Euphorbia cyathium with at least some of the parts in focus. Smiling

Thumb of 2021-02-19/Baja_Costero/0cafa5


Oh wow he's so fuzzy!! More than prepared to deal with the winter lol
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 3:08 PM CST

Thumb of 2021-02-19/MotherMycelium/318193

Well... I just went out to the motor home on my property that I overwinter my plants in to clear out the dead from their pots and compost them, so here's the turnout. 42 plants dead, not counting the few that are a *little* softer than usual but may still come through it, or at least I'm going to let them try..
Name: Karen
New Mexico (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Plant Identifier Plays in the sandbox Greenhouse
Sempervivums Bromeliad Adeniums Morning Glories Avid Green Pages Reviewer Brugmansias
Image
plantmanager
Feb 19, 2021 3:51 PM CST
Don't toss those! It looks like most of them should be planted and kept. I'm betting they will survive just fine.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Trudy
Youngsville, LA (Zone 9b)
Daylilies Seller of Garden Stuff Seed Starter Frugal Gardener Cat Lover Container Gardener
Plant and/or Seed Trader Butterflies Vegetable Grower Region: Louisiana Fruit Growers Cactus and Succulents
Image
tabbycat
Feb 19, 2021 4:13 PM CST
I agree with plantmanager. I see some that I'd bring into warmth for a few weeks, trim dead parts & watch for new growth & side shots by May. I'd make an intensive care unit in a long pot or shallow seed flat of good draining cactus soil with succulent/ cactus types close together instead of each a pot so they are easier to watch over until May.
P. S. I sent a private tree-mail earlier. I'm Trudy in Youngsville LA
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 4:25 PM CST
plantmanager said:Don't toss those! It looks like most of them should be planted and kept. I'm betting they will survive just fine.


They may look like they're fine in the photo, I have a shit quality camera, but everything there is just mush, there's no tissue that didn't get frozen solid and then rethawed to be goop inside even if they look okay visually, to the touch they're just goners and leak fluid everywhere when handled
Name: Sylvia/Imma
Texas (Zone 8b)
Image
MotherMycelium
Feb 19, 2021 4:29 PM CST
tabbycat said:I agree with plantmanager. I see some that I'd bring into warmth for a few weeks, trim dead parts & watch for new growth & side shots by May. I'd make an intensive care unit in a long pot or shallow seed flat of good draining cactus soil with succulent/ cactus types close together instead of each a pot so they are easier to watch over until May.
P. S. I sent a private tree-mail earlier. I'm Trudy in Youngsville LA


Ooh I'll go check your message after responding to this, I haven't seen it just yet! But yeah no everything in that pile is a lot worse off than it appears to be visually, all of the plants that are on there were totally soft to the touch on the stems/roots/leaves and leaking fluid when handled, like semi deflated water balloons unfortunately, I was pretty thorough as I checked even if my camera doesn't portray it as well. A few of them I pulled out to give a chance, but pretty much all of those were goners sadly.
Name: Bria
Northern VA (Zone 7a)
Houseplants Birds
Image
Bschmuck
Mar 30, 2021 9:22 AM CST
Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten you! We have a cold front coming tomorrow, but gorgeous weather forecasted for next week, so it's my hope to get a couple cuttings out to you next week!

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Cactus and Succulents forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by lauriemorningglory and is called "Batalinii tulip"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.