About a couple years I bought an orchid from costco. Family enjoyed the blooms that came with the deal. Then after a few weeks the bottom leaves started to look dry, yellow, and fall off. Oh NO!
I tried repotting and while trimming the rotted roots noticed a very foul smell. Never again would I water it the same as my other phals that had different media and pots (with drainage holes!)
But after repotting, leaves were still dropping. Checked the roots again and still see black roots that were once yellow before. So I learned that most of the roots did not survive except one.
Made use of the cinnamon shaker in the pantry and over several months drop- watered that single root in an alcohol-rinsed container with some old sheet moss covered with cinnamon.
It tried to re-spike but then would stop short of full bud so I had to cut them down to healthy nodes.
By then, it been well over a yr of this customized care, I thought I must be in the clear when I saw a keiki develop and even a new leaf and root start on the sick parent. I had 2 or 3 old leaves that managed to stay, but they never regained their hydrated appearance.
At some point I switched over to misting all my orchids' aerial roots so I did the same for the single root on this. I also changed the setup to where the moss is wrapped around the root. This pretty much was the majority of the routine until the sun started to dry the leaves too much so I transferred it to more indirect, though less than ideal light for the last several months. I tried a more aerial way of hanging the orchid.
Now around a couple years, the keikis got some bad news...the parent plant's leaves have reached their end after battling whatever. Though the single root is still firm and ok, the spike that keeps the 3 keikis is starting to turn green-yellow. 2 of the keikis have no roots yet, though a faint sign of root budding is on one. The 3rd and oldest keiki is the only one that has at least 1 inch total of roots.
Yesterday I took out the sterilized shears and snipped off the keiki with roots and 'repotted'. I plan to use drop watering again since so tiny and used a small tray with stones to support and hold in water beneath. I made sure the moss is tweezed to fit right where the roots are in light contact with the moistened moss without touching the cut end of the once spiked branch.
Still wondering how I will setup moist moss for the base on the 2 keikis without roots. I've read there is a way to help them survive.
Having gotten this far, I think I still have a chance.