Post a reply

Avatar for jpm995
Jun 11, 2021 10:44 PM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
New here hope someone can help me. Moved to current house about 5 years ago with a long yard [50x300']. When i moved in i planted a hosta [no sure of id], but it's grown hugh, well over 6' diameter and tall. It has large bluish leaves some with of the leaves having yellowish centers. Its a great plant but i want to move it but dont want to kill it by accident. Question is does moving a big hosta hurt it and is there a good time to do it? It was planted under a big Norway maple that was rotting and replaced with a coral bark jap maple. It looks funny as the hosta dominates the area as the tree is only about 6' tall.
Image
Jun 11, 2021 11:10 PM CST
Name: Rj
Just S of the twin cities of M (Zone 4b)
Forum moderator Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Plant Identifier Garden Ideas: Level 1
Welcome to the site!

A pic of your hosta and a general geographic of your location is helpful.
As Yogi Berra said, “It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”
Image
Jun 11, 2021 11:23 PM CST
Name: Ian McBeth
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b)
Try Naturalizing perennials! :)
Amaryllis Region: Nebraska Lilies Irises Hostas Foliage Fan
Daylilies Garden Photography Bulbs Butterflies Bee Lover Enjoys or suffers hot summers
Welcome! @jpm995 to the NGA!

Early fall is probably the absolute best time to tackle transplanting hostas, because soil is still warm from long summer days, which means hosta roots will grow quickly. Spring transplanting also works fine as long as you wait until soil has warmed up a bit.
Not only people give others signs, but plants do too.
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 12, 2021 7:49 AM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
SonoveShakespeare said: Welcome! @jpm995 to the NGA!

Early fall is probably the absolute best time to tackle transplanting hostas, because soil is still warm from long summer days, which means hosta roots will grow quickly. Spring transplanting also works fine as long as you wait until soil has warmed up a bit.


If i move it in spring can i do it before it leafs out? I'm zone 7, Long Island. I think it would be a lot easier to dig up and move before those big leaves spread out. Thanks so much for for sharing your knowledge. Thank You!
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 12, 2021 7:52 AM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
crawgarden said:Welcome to the site!

A pic of your hosta and a general geographic of your location is helpful.


I'm on Long Island [zone 7]. Have to figure out how to post pictures. Thank You!
Image
Jun 12, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Name: Rose
Oquawka, IL (Zone 5a)
Echinacea Hibiscus Dahlias Clematis Charter ATP Member Region: Illinois
Garden Photography Heucheras Hummingbirder Hostas Garden Art Birds
jpm995 said:
If i move it in spring can i do it before it leafs out? I'm zone 7, Long Island. I think it would be a lot easier to dig up and move before those big leaves spread out. Thanks so much for for sharing your knowledge. Thank You!


That's when I move mine. You won't ruin the looks of the plant, and they're a lot easier to divide if you want more plants.
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 12, 2021 11:28 AM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
Thanks Rose, i'll take a pass on dividing though, one monster is enough, i never dreamed it would get so big.
Image
Jun 12, 2021 3:22 PM CST
Name: Bob
Vernon N.J. (Zone 6a)
Bookworm Snakes Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Heucheras Echinacea
Hellebores Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Hostas Region: New Jersey Ferns
Everyone already gave you good advice . so I will just say good luck with it.
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 12, 2021 5:26 PM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
NJBob said:Everyone already gave you good advice . so I will just say good luck with it.


Thanks Bob, think i'll wait till next spring, i'm falling behind with the yard work already, weeds are out of control.
Image
Jun 12, 2021 5:58 PM CST
Name: Bob
Vernon N.J. (Zone 6a)
Bookworm Snakes Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Heucheras Echinacea
Hellebores Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Hostas Region: New Jersey Ferns
Would like to see a picture , only really big one that is blue with yellow center I can think of is Dream Weaver.
https://www.nhhostas.com/dream...
Image
Jun 12, 2021 6:35 PM CST
Name: Rj
Just S of the twin cities of M (Zone 4b)
Forum moderator Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Plant Identifier Garden Ideas: Level 1
The good thing is that hostas are pretty bullet proof, I have moved them in the spring, summer and fall and so long as they get watered in well, they will survive. I'm with Bob, would like to see the giant hosta!
As Yogi Berra said, “It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 12, 2021 7:35 PM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
Thumb of 2021-06-13/jpm995/a3e6d5


Thumb of 2021-06-13/jpm995/981f05
Hope these pics post.
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 12, 2021 7:38 PM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
Thumb of 2021-06-13/jpm995/aeb8f0
Another pic. She's about 2.5' tall, over 6' wide.
Image
Jun 12, 2021 7:50 PM CST
Name: Bob
Vernon N.J. (Zone 6a)
Bookworm Snakes Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Heucheras Echinacea
Hellebores Dog Lover Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Hostas Region: New Jersey Ferns
Might be a large Great Expectations that is reverting to Elegans. Nice looking plant.
Looks like there are a couple of other nice sized Hosta in that garden.
Last edited by NJBob Jun 12, 2021 7:53 PM Icon for preview
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 12, 2021 8:12 PM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
Thanks Bob, the one right behind it is my favorite, Stained Glass. It's a decent size but is dwarfed by the big one. Theres a mouse ears back there but its invisible. The big yellow one to the left is pretty, not sure of the name. I never considered max size when i planted these, live and learn.
Image
Jun 13, 2021 7:34 AM CST
Name: Rose
Oquawka, IL (Zone 5a)
Echinacea Hibiscus Dahlias Clematis Charter ATP Member Region: Illinois
Garden Photography Heucheras Hummingbirder Hostas Garden Art Birds
Beautiful! When it comes to moving hosta that big I'm glad i have sandy soil!
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 13, 2021 3:06 PM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
I'll move it straight back in front of the shed. Where it was was shaded by the big maple tree but now it gets lots of sun. The new jap maple only gets 25' tall and offers little shade. Probably put in a hydrangea in its place or maybe even a rose bush.
Image
Jun 15, 2021 12:26 PM CST
Name: Ann
Ottawa, ON Canada (Zone 5a)
Hostas Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Region: Canadian Enjoys or suffers cold winters Composter
Seed Starter Annuals Herbs Canning and food preservation Native Plants and Wildflowers Vegetable Grower
Welcome to the site, jpm. That is one big plant. However, it is sporting to solid blue and if you want to keep the variegated parts of it you will NEED to separate it at some time because the solid blue will grow faster and eventually overwhelm the variegated parts. And if you decide you DO want to divide it by colour, that's much easier to do in autumn because you can easily see what you are doing. If you decide simply to move it, do so understanding that you will eventually have a solid blue hosta. To move it during the season, you need to dig a large root ball and an equally large hole at the new location. I saw a thread on FB a few days ago of someone moving a huge hosta and once they had it dug, they wrapped plastic wrap around the leaves to keep them together and minimize damage to them during the move. That's not as critical in autumn when they are declining anyway. When you do move it, ensure that the new location has enriched soil and water well and you should be fine.
Ann

Pictures of all my hostas, updated annually and tracked since 2008 begin at: https://violaann.smugmug.com/G...
Avatar for jpm995
Jun 15, 2021 7:07 PM CST
Name: Jim
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
Hydrangeas
ViolaAnn said:Welcome to the site, jpm. That is one big plant. However, it is sporting to solid blue and if you want to keep the variegated parts of it you will NEED to separate it at some time because the solid blue will grow faster and eventually overwhelm the variegated parts. And if you decide you DO want to divide it by colour, that's much easier to do in autumn because you can easily see what you are doing. If you decide simply to move it, do so understanding that you will eventually have a solid blue hosta. To move it during the season, you need to dig a large root ball and an equally large hole at the new location. I saw a thread on FB a few days ago of someone moving a huge hosta and once they had it dug, they wrapped plastic wrap around the leaves to keep them together and minimize damage to them during the move. That's not as critical in autumn when they are declining anyway. When you do move it, ensure that the new location has enriched soil and water well and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info, i had no idea that would happen. How can i tell if i split it what part is varigated. I've had the plant for 5 years and haven't noticed it changing.
Image
Jun 19, 2021 5:02 AM CST
Name: Gary
Pennsylvania (Zone 6a)
Beauty and nice bed also! Hurray!

Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
  • Started by: jpm995
  • Replies: 32, views: 1,473
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )