Silversurfer said:Prunus laurocerasus .....common name cherry laurel, common laurel.
"Leaves and seed may cause severe discomfort to humans if ingested. The seeds contained within the cherries are poisonous like the rest of the plant, containing cyanogenic glycosides and amygdalin. This chemical composition is what gives the smell of almonds when the leaves are crushed. Laurel water, a distillation made from the plant, contains prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide) and other compounds and is toxic."
I would never risk eating the berries.
Well I wouldnt eat leaves or cherry pits to begin with... and yeah, i know about the poison of cherry pits, almonds etc...
What about the pulp?
When I was a kid I ate them all the time, even though they don't taste very good until they're dead ripe, and usually the birds would have cleaned them out by then. Always spit the pits out (at my little brother).