Views: 1687, Replies: 3 » Jump to the end
Aug 15, 2013 10:39 PM CST
|All parts of Rhubarb are toxic with oxalic acid, however it is the green leaves that should not ever be eaten. The leaves make a wonderful organic insecticide that wipes out aphids as it suffocates them. Please see here. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Rh...|
The poison in Rhubarb leaves is:
"Oxalates are contained in all parts of rhubarb plants, especially in the green leaves. There is some evidence that anthraquinone glycosides are also present and may be partly responsible. It is not clear as to the exact source of poisoning from rhubarb, possibly a result of both compounds. The stalks contain low levels of oxalates, so this does not cause problems."
However I Love rhubarb to eat normally, especially with a sprinkle of ginger and nutmeg. Nutmeg is known to reduce any oxalic acid in spinach and rhubarb.
Don't stop eating the stuff as it is wonderful and the leaves are used by some gardeners to put under potato's as they claim it stops potato blight. That has yet to be proved but they swear by it.
Kindest regards from across the Atlantic.
Aug 16, 2013 5:46 AM CST
|I've composted my rhubarb leaves for years without any problems.|
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
Aug 16, 2013 6:51 AM CST
|Dear Paul, I did not mention composting the leaves. Just eating them is not good for you at all; and oxalic acid is the main cause of gout!|
I am just saying that the leaves have a great benefit to get rid of aphids and other pests, natures way. No unnatural chemicals at all, i.e. organically.
Plus if it does work to stop potato blight, is a good thing I think.
Aug 16, 2013 6:25 PM CST
|I've done that for years! I take a paring knife out to my rhubarb patch, to cut off the leaves and put them back under the rhubarb plants. My kids asked me why I pull the stalks to pick them, instead of cutting them off, when I have a knife right there. I can only say, "Because that's how my mother did it."|