I've been scouring the internet on plant related things for a few days as I've become obsessed with 'indoor gardening' as a way to relieve my boredom. I'm working for a month in Houston, TX. I live in Ogden, UT.
Anyway, I have collected 12 plants and 3 cacti. I attached a photo of the plants. The cacti are sitting in a West facing windowsill.
I know all the info is online, but I'm starting to get a bit overwhelmed by all that is out there. I was hoping I could get some quick advice to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. In the meantime, I can figure details out. This is an awesome site!
- Philodendron Erubescens 'Pink Princess' / Blushing Philodendron
- Dyckia 'Grape Jelly'
- Aloe Vera
- Sedum rubrotinctum 'Pork and Beans' (great name)
- Echeveria 'Perle Von Nurnberg'
- Pedilanthus tithymaloides 'variegatus' / Red Bird Plant
- Agave Potatorum
- Peperomia Obtsuifolia 'Tricolor' / Baby Rubber Plant
- Bromeliad Neoregelia
- 3 Unknown Succulents
1) I have two lights set for about 9 hrs each day. One is a 'cool' spectrum light (LED), the other is a 'plant' light (Agro-Lite BR30 / incandescent). It looks more reddish, so I'm going to say it is on the 'warmer' side of the spectrum. Would you change anything?
2) The office is about 68 F. Should I add a heat lamp on a timer?
4) I ordered a Drosera Spatulata (Carnivorous). I'm going to put it in a terrarium. I bought the soil from the seller and will use distilled water. Additional thoughts?
5) Small flies are starting to appear. I think they came inside with the decaying plant matter in the soils. Anyway, is there a safe way to control these guys?
6) Any additional thoughts?
Thanks! You guys are the best.
Reason for edit: added question 5 and fixed bulb type.