Ask a Question forum: Recommendations for my lavender plant??

Views: 250, Replies: 5 » Jump to the end

Tonygeek
Jul 5, 2015 12:05 PM CST
This is my first plant and i dont know what to do to help it I was looking some pics in the internet of lavanders like mine and mine is so ugly im pretty sure watering is not the problem thanks..


the problem is those leaves in the right of the picture that turn like yellow and some have their tips are turning dark color and drying any clue?
FYI im from Puerto Rico

Thumb of 2015-07-05/Tonygeek/234fdc


Thumb of 2015-07-05/Tonygeek/62b444

Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Daylilies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Native Plants and Wildflowers Butterflies Annuals
Region: Canadian Keeps Horses Dog Lover Plant Identifier Garden Sages
Image
sooby
Jul 5, 2015 1:54 PM CST
Lavenders tend to get ugly at the base, and it looks like yours is indoors? It would probably prefer to be outside although I don't know how they do in your climate. I keep one indoors part of the year because it's one that isn't hardy here and it doesn't really like it, even in a south window.

Tonygeek
Jul 8, 2015 6:58 PM CST
mine aint indoors it is at front of the door of my apartment so it gets sunlight from fall, thanks for letting me know that the kinda get ugly at base because the other leaves are looking good Hurray!

i have one last question i noticed some white thing like if it was some kind of cottton and im worried it doesnt hurt my plant Grumbling i wana see my plant bloom someday Rolling my eyes.

thanks in advanced I tip my hat to you.

Thumb of 2015-07-09/Tonygeek/122b3b




Thumb of 2015-07-09/Tonygeek/fa72fd

Thank You!
Name: Elaine
South Sarasota, Florida (Zone 9b)
The one constant in life is change
Cat Lover Master Gardener: Florida Tropicals Multi-Region Gardener Vegetable Grower Region: Florida
Herbs Orchids Birds Garden Ideas: Level 2 Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
dyzzypyxxy
Jul 8, 2015 8:21 PM CST
Hi Tony, and welcome. I'm in Florida so a little more similar climate to yours here. I very seldom can grow lavender through the summer here. It really hates the humidity and high heat, night and day. They do fine for me from fall through to spring when it is cooler and drier. But in summer they generally develop root rot from staying moist all the time in the humidity, and just give up. I've lived here 14 years and only once has a lavender made it through a summer. It died the next year.

As Sue suggested, it might do better indoors, if you are running a/c but you would need to let it grow in a sunny window because they need lots of sun. Most herbs from the Mediterranean region have similar needs - drier air, letting the roots dry a bit between waterings (use a coarse, well draining medium) and sun.
Elaine

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." –Winston Churchill
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Daylilies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Native Plants and Wildflowers Butterflies Annuals
Region: Canadian Keeps Horses Dog Lover Plant Identifier Garden Sages
Image
sooby
Jul 9, 2015 11:40 AM CST
Tonygeek said:

i have one last question i noticed some white thing like if it was some kind of cottton and im worried it doesnt hurt my plant Grumbling i wana see my plant bloom someday Rolling my eyes.


I can't see the picture clearly enough but I wonder if it could be mealy bugs. You could look them up on Google and compare with what you are seeing.

You can cut lavender back and make it start over when it gets too ugly at the base, but if you're waiting for flowers then you wouldn't want to do that just yet. I periodically do that with mine. Do you know which species/cultivar of lavender you have?


Tonygeek
Jul 12, 2015 1:39 PM CST
dyzzypyxxy said:Hi Tony, and welcome. I'm in Florida so a little more similar climate to yours here. I very seldom can grow lavender through the summer here. It really hates the humidity and high heat, night and day. They do fine for me from fall through to spring when it is cooler and drier. But in summer they generally develop root rot from staying moist all the time in the humidity, and just give up. I've lived here 14 years and only once has a lavender made it through a summer. It died the next year.

As Sue suggested, it might do better indoors, if you are running a/c but you would need to let it grow in a sunny window because they need lots of sun. Most herbs from the Mediterranean region have similar needs - drier air, letting the roots dry a bit between waterings (use a coarse, well draining medium) and sun.


thanks for the info!! im trying to do what you said let it dry a bit between waterings because i had read that they dont like it too hummid

sooby said:

I can't see the picture clearly enough but I wonder if it could be mealy bugs. You could look them up on Google and compare with what you are seeing.

You can cut lavender back and make it start over when it gets too ugly at the base, but if you're waiting for flowers then you wouldn't want to do that just yet. I periodically do that with mine. Do you know which species/cultivar of lavender you have?




My plant is a goodwin creek grey lavender x) btw thank you i think you nailed it Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! here is better picture of the stuff i will try reasearching on mealy bugs and try to get rid of them

Thumb of 2015-07-12/Tonygeek/ee2cbb

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Chrysanthemum"