Post a reply

Image
Jul 21, 2015 3:06 AM CST
Name: david sevitt
jerusalem israel
i want to know is watering plants also related to the tide wich is related to the forces from the moon wich has influence on the movement of liquids inside the stems?
Image
Jul 21, 2015 5:33 AM CST
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4b)
Annuals Native Plants and Wildflowers Keeps Horses Dog Lover Daylilies Region: Canadian
Butterflies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Garden Sages Plant Identifier
I'm not sure I understand the question. I haven't heard of this before, although I've heard of planting according to moon phases. Usually we water morning or evening because it wastes less water from evaporation than watering when the sun is strong. Where fungal diseases are a potential issue then we'd water in the early morning to avoid having leaves wet at night as much as possible. But when it comes right down to it, you water plants whenever they need it Smiling
Image
Jul 21, 2015 9:10 AM CST
Name: Elaine
Sarasota, Fl
The one constant in life is change
Amaryllis Tropicals Multi-Region Gardener Orchids Master Gardener: Florida Irises
Herbs Region: Florida Vegetable Grower Daylilies Birds Cat Lover
I agree with Sue. The liquids moving inside the stems of plants go a lot faster than the moon phases change. Plants' needs for water are directly related to weather conditions more than anything else. The only thing I've ever heard of related to plants and the phase of the moon is seed planting, as Sue also said. I've never paid much attention to that either, and have not had seeds fail to germinate either.

So if you have a cloudy day that only gets to 25deg. C you will need to water less than a blazing sunny day that goes up to 32deg. C, right? But . . . if there is a lot of wind related to a weather front on the cloudy day, you might still need to water more because the leaves transpire more water on a windy day.

In winter here, we have big changes in the humidity levels although the temperatures are pretty steady, so when the humidity is low, I might water twice as much as when it is high. In summer here, it's pretty much a steam bath night and day but still, we do get cloudy days when less watering is indicated.
Elaine

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." –Winston Churchill
Image
Jul 21, 2015 10:18 PM CST
Name: david sevitt
jerusalem israel
sooby said:I'm not sure I understand the question. I haven't heard of this before, although I've heard of planting according to moon phases. Usually we water morning or evening because it wastes less water from evaporation than watering when the sun is strong. Where fungal diseases are a potential issue then we'd water in the early morning to avoid having leaves wet at night as much as possible. But when it comes right down to it, you water plants whenever they need it Smiling


thanks for your answer.i dont know where i heard it.
Image
Jul 21, 2015 10:21 PM CST
Name: david sevitt
jerusalem israel
dyzzypyxxy said:I agree with Sue. The liquids moving inside the stems of plants go a lot faster than the moon phases change. Plants' needs for water are directly related to weather conditions more than anything else. The only thing I've ever heard of related to plants and the phase of the moon is seed planting, as Sue also said. I've never paid much attention to that either, and have not had seeds fail to germinate either.

So if you have a cloudy day that only gets to 25deg. C you will need to water less than a blazing sunny day that goes up to 32deg. C, right? But . . . if there is a lot of wind related to a weather front on the cloudy day, you might still need to water more because the leaves transpire more water on a windy day.

In winter here, we have big changes in the humidity levels although the temperatures are pretty steady, so when the humidity is low, I might water twice as much as when it is high. In summer here, it's pretty much a steam bath night and day but still, we do get cloudy days when less watering is indicated.


thank you for your explanation.it sounds reasonable.i dont know where i heard that theory.....it sounded interesting..
Image
Jul 22, 2015 3:20 PM CST
Name: tarev
San Joaquin County, CA (Zone 9b)
Give PEACE a chance!
Houseplants Cat Lover Region: California Plays in the sandbox Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all!
Composter Cactus and Succulents Dragonflies Hummingbirder Amaryllis Container Gardener
I think I know what you mean David. Before farmers use the moon to determine which crops to plant. I saw this site, talks about using moon phases, I guess the timing when to plant them, not watering per se: http://www.the-gardeners-calen...

Whether it works accurately, I don't know, but some farmers/growers use it.
Image
Jul 23, 2015 3:00 AM CST
Name: david sevitt
jerusalem israel
tarev said:I think I know what you mean David. Before farmers use the moon to determine which crops to plant. I saw this site, talks about using moon phases, I guess the timing when to plant them, not watering per se: http://www.the-gardeners-calen...

Whether it works accurately, I don't know, but some farmers/growers use it.


thanks i will read the article
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Mike and is called "'Santa Cruz' Waterlilies"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.