Fungi forum: Can't Identify or Kill This

Views: 956, Replies: 3 » Jump to the end

Aug 4, 2015 10:33 AM CST
For the last few months I've had something growing in my pool's shower room that I haven't been able to identify or kill. I removed it about two weeks ago with high pressure water, then gave the area a good soaking with Clorox, and it is back again. Seems to grow from "not there" to what you see in the picture below overnight, or at least in no more than two days.

I built the room about four years ago and it is 6" (pine) wall studs with a pressure treated bottom plate, 5/8" OSB on the exterior and interior walls both wrapped with Tyvex, brick on the outside wall and vinyl siding on the inside wall as shown in the photo below. After installing the vinyl siding, I used clear silicon to seal the bottom, top, and other breaks in the vinyl siding. I leave the room's door open in the summer and the room gets plenty of ventilation, but it still can be a damp location.

What you are looking at is where the wall meets the concrete floor, and a ruler (displaying inches) in the foreground. This appears as 1/2" oval or round nodules with the consistency and color of soft chocolate inside (the outer shell is a darker brown and is a bit harder), and it really clings to the cement and vinyl siding well. Any help with identifying this and tips on killing it would be most appreciated.

Thumb of 2015-08-04/JohnAJohnson/477bdb

Name: Jean
Prairieville, LA (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier The WITWIT Badge Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Sep 2, 2015 7:39 PM CST
Hi John This is strictly a suggestion, as I am in no way sure, but it may be a species of Stemonitis, brown mold. Have a look at this link.

here is a bit of info for you. Bleach is not a fungicide. You will need to use biocides or fungicides to stop mold growth. There are some "green" fungicides such as baking soda and vinegar. These links may be of help to you.
[Last edited by Moonhowl - Sep 2, 2015 8:10 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #943134 (2)
Name: Rick Corey
Everett WA 98204 (Zone 8a)
Sunset Zone 5. Koppen Csb. Eco 2f
Frugal Gardener Garden Procrastinator I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest
Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database.
Nov 19, 2015 5:38 PM CST
I wonder whether hydrogen peroxide kills molds?

This guy thinks so, but admits he has only a little experience (all of it good) using H2O2 against mold.


Bear in mind:

food grade hydrogen peroxide is 35% strong
drugstore "brown-bottle" peroxide is 3%

Most recipes that I see online for use on plants dilute it down to 0.1% or 0.2%, but some people use it stronger.

I'm sure a shower stall floor could take it stronger than seedlings can!
Name: Jean
Prairieville, LA (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier The WITWIT Badge Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Nov 19, 2015 7:25 PM CST
I have read that vinegar is a non toxic means of killing mold as is Hydrogen peroxide. The Stremonitis, brown slime mold was what the OP was asking about and I have not had any experience with it. I wanted to give him a variety of cures/solutions to his problem.

« Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Fungi forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Agastache"