I decided to tackle my front stone garden today. This garden bed is a border bed that backs up to a stone outcropping out along the front of our property. The bed is probably at least 30 feet long and ranges from 2.5 to 5 feet deep. It gets full sun from about 8am till 1pm and then bright light for several more hours and then light shade the rest of the day.
Over the past few years, the daisies and false sunflower and another perennial have taken over and choked out a bunch of my daylilies. I noticed that several didn't bloom this year. So today, I decided that it was time to take control.
Six hours later, my garden is looking great!! All but one section (which still has a blooming daylily) got redone.
I had forgotten that back when I first started this garden that I had made chicken wire cages to put many of my perennials in because the voles were so bad. Well 7 years later and many of my daylilies are being choked by the cages. So I ended up removing about 20 plants from the cages and divided many of them.
I also pulled back a lot of the daisies and false sunflowers and gave them new defined homes.
Best of all, I found my missing Frans Hal..... complete with flower tag!!! Only 1 of two flower tags that I found in that entire garden!! It was stuck in the cage, so I am pretty sure it is who it should be! So it got trimmed up, freed of the cage and replanted... front and center!
Oh and the earth worms...... hundreds of them and they were huge, like 8+ inches long, every where I turned there were more.
So after everything got dug up, divided and replanted, they all got a good dose of fertilizer and a long watering! Oh and there is room to add some more!
Here is a pano of the completed job.