I think I'll manage to get some Bromeliad id's with your last link Janet!
I have a lot from the Bromeliad house from the Botanical garden which were not labelled..
I knew there was a herbarium specimen on the Flora do Brasil, I looked at it, but i find it so hard to id from those dried up dead bits and pieces..The rims of the base of the leaf seem to be rolled up, so maybe the spines are hidden..
Yes, one can see spines on the one in Party, my photos of the ones in the Bot. Garden are not very clear, but I cropped part of a photo that shows that they have spines too..
I looked at the photos on the links too, I had already been there while searching, but I find it so hard to be sure, a Bromeliad flower changes so much in the different stages, and the photos on the web understandably nearly always shows them at their peak moment.
So I think I'd better keep both as Aechmea sp. to be safe..
I think the Bromiaceae family is one of the most difficult families when trying to get an id. , more so for one like me who's not at all familiar with them..