I'm hoping this thread can be a general thread for everyone to benefit from, but my particular situation is this:
* foyer has bright light (with a very short period of direct sunlight as it passes at an angle through the window)
* window is above and away from the spot where the plants would sit (no continuous cold draft)
* table where the plants would be is directly in front of the door (would get cold swooshes when guests enter in the colder months)
Cinta and tarev - thank you for the suggestions!
- I actually have a snake plant from purple and I put it in a pretty red ceramic planter, too, so maybe I'll put that on the ground near the doorway. Good suggestion. I'm sure other people would love to know that sansevieria is a good option for an entryway.
- good to know about the zz plant! (I won't use it in my own home because of it's dangers to pets/children if ingested, but maybe in the future when the circumstances are a little different and I don't anticipate babies or pets to be an issue, that would work for me, personally.) I think other people might find that a useful suggestion for their entryways, though!