Vegetables and Fruit forum→What's up with your pepper plants?

Page 6 of 8 • 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Views: 6449, Replies: 147 » Jump to the end
Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Photo Contest Winner: 2016
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 8, 2016 1:19 PM CST
tveguy3 said:I've been using tomato cages on my peppers and that seems to work well. I use the shorter ones on them that I got for tomatoes, as they are just too short for them, so they get used on the peppers.


Yes, those round wire cages sold everywhere for tomatoes make nice cages for peppers. Useless for tomatoes!
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Image
Weedwhacker
Sep 8, 2016 2:52 PM CST
tveguy3 said:I've been using tomato cages on my peppers and that seems to work well. I use the shorter ones on them that I got for tomatoes, as they are just too short for them, so they get used on the peppers.


I need to scrounge around for more of those smaller tomato cages; lots of people throw them out after trying them for their tomatoes and finding out what a bad idea that is! Or, I suppose I could just break down and buy some... Hilarious!

Some of my pepper plants actually hit 4 feet tall this year, that's definitely a first for me! I suppose having another summer like this one, next year, would be too much to ask Rolling my eyes. .
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer /
C/F temp conversion
Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Photo Contest Winner: 2016
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 8, 2016 4:25 PM CST
3 feet sounds like a nice and tall pepper plant. Mine never grow any where near that tall. No problem because they make plenty of peppers.
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Image
Weedwhacker
Sep 8, 2016 6:37 PM CST
Mine don't normally get so tall either (and most didn't this year); I think it was the "Biggie Chile" plants, but I need to double-check that.
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer /
C/F temp conversion
Name: Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a)
Tomato Heads Vegetable Grower Peppers Seed Starter Region: Northeast US Avid Green Pages Reviewer
Image
DonShirer
Sep 9, 2016 5:55 AM CST
The critters that were the bane of my tomatoes have switched to peppers! After I began putting plastic grocery bags around my ripening tomatoes, the chipmunks and rabbits have attacked my sweet pepper plants, especially BigBertha, Marconi and Quadrato. I did get several freezer bags of ripened peppers before the attack. Some of the pepper plants had grown 4-5ft tall so the higher fruit are safe, but anything within a foot of the ground has been devastated. I'm trying to protect the green ones that are left but I'm running out of bags!
Name: Dillard Haley
Augusta Georgia (Zone 8a)
Garden Ideas: Master Level Avid Green Pages Reviewer Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
farmerdill
Sep 9, 2016 6:34 AM CST
A little blood meal sprinkled on and around the plants will deter the rabbits, don't know about the chipmonks.
Name: Caroline Scott
Calgary (Zone 4a)
Charter ATP Member Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Peonies Lilies Enjoys or suffers cold winters Winter Sowing
Bulbs Region: Canadian Garden Ideas: Master Level Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Image
CarolineScott
Sep 9, 2016 9:37 AM CST
That is what I will have to do another year,--- as all of the green peppers have been taken by critters. I was only going to get a few anyway, but all of them and the green tomaotes have disappeared!
Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Photo Contest Winner: 2016
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 9, 2016 9:57 AM CST
Man, that must be really aggravating. All the work and the critters get all the fruit!! Unfair!! Grumbling
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Image
Weedwhacker
Sep 9, 2016 6:32 PM CST
I agree
That would be very disappointing!!
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer /
C/F temp conversion
Name: Robyn
Minnesota (Zone 4a)
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Herbs Enjoys or suffers cold winters Tomato Heads Garden Photography
Apples Composter Solar Power
Image
robynanne
Sep 16, 2016 7:57 AM CST
My cherry pepper plant is making ripe peppers! I didn't know if these would be hot since the plant is called a "hot pepper" plant - but it is a cherry pepper which I've always known to not be hot. I'm happy to say that these are not hot and have a really great unique taste that is unlike a bell pepper. I just wish I got many many more of these - I should've planted this as all my pepper plants instead of the bells. Good news is there are a number of green ones that will hopefully get ripe now in the next week or so.


Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Image
Weedwhacker
Sep 16, 2016 8:14 AM CST
Robyn, how do you use your cherry peppers? I've grown both the hot and sweet types and they always grew well for me, but I never really utilized them very well. I tried pickling some of the hot ones (Cherry Bomb) but they were just TOO hot to eat that way, IMO. (my favorite hot pepper for pickling is hot banana, cut into "rings" -- they're hot but not unbearably so)
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer /
C/F temp conversion
Name: Robyn
Minnesota (Zone 4a)
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Herbs Enjoys or suffers cold winters Tomato Heads Garden Photography
Apples Composter Solar Power
Image
robynanne
Sep 16, 2016 8:27 AM CST
Weedwhacker said:Robyn, how do you use your cherry peppers? I've grown both the hot and sweet types and they always grew well for me, but I never really utilized them very well. I tried pickling some of the hot ones (Cherry Bomb) but they were just TOO hot to eat that way, IMO. (my favorite hot pepper for pickling is hot banana, cut into "rings" -- they're hot but not unbearably so)


I grew these because I absolutely love those pickled cherry peppers - the not hot ones. My hope was to get enough of these to pickle but I don't think I will. They are too good to just pick and eat dipped in hummus. Smiling Since I didn't get any real harvest of the bells - I will probably use some of these in making tomato sauce as well, or salsa. That wasn't really my intent with these, but they are the only peppers that grew well this year. I buy a lot of those tiny peppers in bags and just dip them in hummus while watching a show or something.. like popcorn.
Name: Paul Fish
Brownville, Nebraska (Zone 5b)
Image
PaulF
Sep 16, 2016 8:37 AM CST
For a much success as I have had with tomatoes, my disappointment with peppers is legendary. After years of fiddling with seed starting times, varieties and growing practices, finally success of sorts. I will never be a pro at peppers but at least this year there is a crop and some are even beginning to turn colors. The long greens are Giant Aconcagua, a very sweet one. It has been my one to do well. The bells are Frank's Sweet, green to red and Orange Bell. Other varieties are Chinese Giant, Golden Treasure, Marconi and Ta-Tong.

At the end of the season there are always loads of green peppers. Having been told we are too far north with too short a growing season to expect peppers to ripen before frost, this year is a bonus. Starting seeds in January under a lot of heat seems to be the key here.

Proud enough to share a couple of photos. To keep out deer and rabbits you may see the eight foot deer fence and the two foot chicken wire fence at the bottom. That has worked wonders for me. And what is called a tomato cage is actually a nice pepper cage for the four footers and the three footers, too.


Thumb of 2016-09-16/PaulF/116ac0


Thumb of 2016-09-16/PaulF/76675d

Name: Robyn
Minnesota (Zone 4a)
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Herbs Enjoys or suffers cold winters Tomato Heads Garden Photography
Apples Composter Solar Power
Image
robynanne
Sep 16, 2016 8:52 AM CST
PaulF said:For a much success as I have had with tomatoes, my disappointment with peppers is legendary. After years of fiddling with seed starting times, varieties and growing practices, finally success of sorts. I will never be a pro at peppers but at least this year there is a crop and some are even beginning to turn colors. The long greens are Giant Aconcagua, a very sweet one. It has been my one to do well. The bells are Frank's Sweet, green to red and Orange Bell. Other varieties are Chinese Giant, Golden Treasure, Marconi and Ta-Tong.

At the end of the season there are always loads of green peppers. Having been told we are too far north with too short a growing season to expect peppers to ripen before frost, this year is a bonus. Starting seeds in January under a lot of heat seems to be the key here.

Proud enough to share a couple of photos. To keep out deer and rabbits you may see the eight foot deer fence and the two foot chicken wire fence at the bottom. That has worked wonders for me. And what is called a tomato cage is actually a nice pepper cage for the four footers and the three footers, too.


Excellent! Yes, I plan to start in Jan with heat/light lamps for next year. Other than that, you've got the same set up as me. A taller 'real' fence for the deer and wrap that in wire for the bunnies and other smaller critters. Then tomato cages for the peppers. Smiling Congrats on the harvest!!!
Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Photo Contest Winner: 2016
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 16, 2016 9:42 AM CST
robynanne said:My cherry pepper plant is making ripe peppers! I didn't know if these would be hot since the plant is called a "hot pepper" plant - but it is a cherry pepper which I've always known to not be hot. I'm happy to say that these are not hot and have a really great unique taste that is unlike a bell pepper. I just wish I got many many more of these - I should've planted this as all my pepper plants instead of the bells. Good news is there are a number of green ones that will hopefully get ripe now in the next week or so.




Nice!!

Since gardening is a learning experience now you know you like these and they grow much better than bell peppers for you. So next season you know what to plant!!

I guess what type to plant is governed by what you want to do with the peppers but the Asian Types like Shisuto are really easy and produce a bunch of peppers. Keep them picked and they keep on setting more and more.
Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Photo Contest Winner: 2016
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 16, 2016 9:45 AM CST
robynanne said:

I grew these because I absolutely love those pickled cherry peppers - the not hot ones. My hope was to get enough of these to pickle but I don't think I will. They are too good to just pick and eat dipped in hummus. Smiling Since I didn't get any real harvest of the bells - I will probably use some of these in making tomato sauce as well, or salsa. That wasn't really my intent with these, but they are the only peppers that grew well this year. I buy a lot of those tiny peppers in bags and just dip them in hummus while watching a show or something.. like popcorn.


So I had not yet read this post when I recommended Shisuto. But since you say you buy small peppers to eat raw these would be perfect for you. Very easy and very productive!! Great for adding to cooking but smaller so you can't use them like bell peppers.
Name: Robyn
Minnesota (Zone 4a)
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Herbs Enjoys or suffers cold winters Tomato Heads Garden Photography
Apples Composter Solar Power
Image
robynanne
Sep 16, 2016 9:46 AM CST
Newyorkrita said:

Nice!!

Since gardening is a learning experience now you know you like these and they grow much better than bell peppers for you. So next season you know what to plant!!

I guess what type to plant is governed by what you want to do with the peppers but the Asian Types like Shisuto are really easy and produce a bunch of peppers. Keep them picked and they keep on setting more and more.


I keep looking for shisuto seeds but I also keep forgetting the exact name other than "Shi... something.." lol! I suspect I'd really like growing those!
Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Photo Contest Winner: 2016
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 16, 2016 9:47 AM CST
PaulF said:For a much success as I have had with tomatoes, my disappointment with peppers is legendary. After years of fiddling with seed starting times, varieties and growing practices, finally success of sorts. I will never be a pro at peppers but at least this year there is a crop and some are even beginning to turn colors. The long greens are Giant Aconcagua, a very sweet one. It has been my one to do well. The bells are Frank's Sweet, green to red and Orange Bell. Other varieties are Chinese Giant, Golden Treasure, Marconi and Ta-Tong.

At the end of the season there are always loads of green peppers. Having been told we are too far north with too short a growing season to expect peppers to ripen before frost, this year is a bonus. Starting seeds in January under a lot of heat seems to be the key here.

Proud enough to share a couple of photos. To keep out deer and rabbits you may see the eight foot deer fence and the two foot chicken wire fence at the bottom. That has worked wonders for me. And what is called a tomato cage is actually a nice pepper cage for the four footers and the three footers, too.


Thumb of 2016-09-16/PaulF/116ac0


Thumb of 2016-09-16/PaulF/76675d



Nice to finally be successful!! Thumbs up Thumbs up
Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Photo Contest Winner: 2016
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 16, 2016 9:50 AM CST
robynanne said:

I keep looking for shisuto seeds but I also keep forgetting the exact name other than "Shi... something.." lol! I suspect I'd really like growing those!


If you forget again just ask me!! I will remind you. You really will LOVE them.
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Image
Weedwhacker
Sep 16, 2016 7:44 PM CST
"At the end of the season there are always loads of green peppers. Having been told we are too far north with too short a growing season to expect peppers to ripen before frost, this year is a bonus. Starting seeds in January under a lot of heat seems to be the key here. "

Paul, I can't imagine why anyone would say you can't expect peppers to ripen... I have ripe peppers every year, even the past 2 unusually cool summers; this summer has been unusually warm for us, and they are ripening like crazy. I start my seeds indoors around the beginning of April and plant them outside around June 1st. I usually use floating row cover over them for a few weeks when they are first planted out, because I don't harden them off otherwise, but they are just grown out in the open garden. My favorite bells are King Arthur (which ripens to a bright red) and Flavorburst (which ripens to a yellowish-orange). Inferno hot banana ripens early for me (earlier than I would like, actually). I'd suggest just to keep trying different varieties (paying attention to the "days to maturity") -- if they ripen up here they should certainly ripen for you! Smiling
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer /
C/F temp conversion

Page 6 of 8 • 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Vegetables and Fruit forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Regal Lily (Lilium regale)"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.