I'm back with lots of updates! This is gonna be a long one...
First up is the left hill. This was a bit tricky, as the slope is about 45°. After the area was cleared I added a thin layer of leaf compost to enrich the soil. Before planting, I spread burlap over the area to hold everything in place against the steep slope. I've planted five different varieties of thyme in irregular patches: Silver Thyme (traditional flavor), Orange Balsam, Lemon, Lavender, and Rose Petal. I still need to go back over and mulch it, but it wasn't a priority, so I moved on to other beds.
At this point, I'm running out of time before the ground freezes. My priority is to get the plants I already have in the ground before then. Conveniently, all of them go in the right side of the garden design, so that's where I direct my focus.
I started with the hill, which is the site of my lingonberry (Vaccinium Vitis-Idae). After clearing the weeds and laying the bricks, I noticed that the hill needed to be built up quite a bit on the far side. After correcting the grade, I added a significant amount of peatmoss to make the acid loving lingonberry happy. Used burlap again to hold everything in place, and planted. Saved mulching for later.
I moved on to the far corner inside the retaining wall next. After adding a ton of soil to build up the grade, I amended with peat moss. Yet another acid lover this time: Camellia Oleifera, the tea oil Camellia. This Camellia produces large fruits that are pressed to make a high quality culinary oil.
This next bed is positioned over an old maple stump, so I added the semi circle to the design to avoid it with the bricks. It looks like the perfect place to add a bird bath or something (open to suggestions). Oh and the plants here are Alpine Strawberry (Fragaria Vesca). Absolutely LOVE these little guys! They're unstoppable! They've been blooming and fruiting since late spring and they're still going now, literally as I type this! The fruit isn't really ripening properly this time of year, but at least it's decorative.
These next two pictures are of the beds where my Evergreen Huckleberries (Vaccinium Ovatum) will be. I should have them planted sometime this week, weather permitting.
And finally, the border hedge bed to close up the space. I used blocks to extend the retaining wall up the edge of the property and define the far edge of the bed. Finished up the brick line from the hill down to the far corner, and filled with A LOT of soil. I'll be back to amend and plant this one with Silverberry/Oleaster (Elaeagnus Ebbingei).
That's all the catch-up. Expect an update in the next week or so with everything fully planted!