Views: 199, Replies: 2 » Jump to the end

Sep 18, 2016 6:16 AM CST
Saw the article on the danger of windfalls. My windfalls do not have mould, but wormy centres. I usually cut the bruises off and the wormy centres out (these apples are from an ancient apple tree and delicious!). Are they safe to eat, is the danger only from mouldy windfalls or all of them?
Name: Porkpal
Richmond, TX
Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Keeper of Poultry Farmer Roses Raises cows
Garden Ideas: Level 2 Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant Identifier
Sep 18, 2016 7:07 AM CST
I would eat them.
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Sep 18, 2016 9:33 AM CST
When I was a kid, my grandmother had an apple orchard with trees that were 100 years old (She claimed Johnny Appleseed had planted them). The trees were huge so we only got the apples that fell. Two rules:

Don't eat the bruise

Don't bite to the center of the apple

We picked the apples up as soon as they fell so never had to deal with mold. I suspect the mold will affect the taste of the apple though and you won't want to eat them. Worms are bitter - you won't want to eat them either. Smiling
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost


« Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"