Views: 2551, Replies: 2 » Jump to the end
Oct 6, 2016 8:18 PM CST
|I'm in needd of some serious help with this little peace lily. I bought it at a local flower shop. After 2 weeks I noticed there was white mould in the pot mixture. I sprayed it with end-all indoor plant insecticide. 2 weeks later I noticed that one of the flowers had started to turn black and the mould had returned. I cut back on the water, removed as much mould as I could and moved it away from the west facing window to somewhere with less light. 1.5 weeks later (after having been away on a short trip) I found that all of the flowers are dead, some leaves were yellow and had dropped, and there were tiny black flying bugs (as small as fruit flies by with long stripy bodies). I sprayed it with end-all, again removed the mould, and added some cinnamon to the mixture. It's now been a week and this is he condition of the plant The mould is still there and all the leaves are limp. Any advice?
Oct 7, 2016 9:57 AM CST
Mold and tiny flying bugs are a sure sign you are over-watering. Peace Lilies like to be damp but its easy to overwater them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost
Name: Will Creed
Professional indoor plant consultan
Oct 8, 2016 8:23 AM CST
|I concur with Daisy. It also appears that the quality of soil is poor and contaminated with fungus spores. Obviously, the cinnamon and pesticide are not working. Don't replace the soil or repot, but do remove the and mold from the surface by scraping it off with your hand. Don't worry about exposing a few roots near the surface. Water only when the plant reaches the wilt point. Make sure the plant is no more than 3-4 feet from a completely uncovered west window.
Horticultural Help, NYC
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
|« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum