Well, we're back up and running as of a couple of days ago. I wasn't able to get the original files back unless I paid the ransom, and even that isn't guaranteed and strongly discouraged.
When I got things to the point where I could do a restore from my back, that proved worthless as the backup program wouldn't restore the files, even though it said that it had the.
So, I started piecing things together as best I could. From the looks of things, I've got most of it.
I know have 4 different virus scanners running on Larry's PC. Hopefully, it won't matter what he clicks on now. (I probably shouldn't have said that 'out loud' ! )
I haven't been able to do any invoicing since this mess started. I'm hoping I can do it today.
To complicate things, our shopping cart provider changed hands earlier this year. They switched us over to the new format on 29-Nov. What a mess! If you have a small online store, it's fine (and free for 100 items). We have close to 25,000 items. To load everything to their new site would be cost prohibitive. I've been tweaking things left and right to get it back to what we had, which was using the secure check-out only. I think I'm about there.
My biggest concern was that the old system sent an E-Mail for each new order. I run those through software I wrote that stuffs the order info into a database and re-formats the order to make it fit onto a single printed page instead of 3-4.. I won't know if I have to update the program until I get a real order. I was afraid I would have had to start from scratch, but was able to recover my source code from the aformentioned ransom-ware infection.
Now, if only I could get a job.
I had an interview this past Monday at a practice 3 miles from home. It went really well and they said they would be in touch. I sent an E-Mail Friday asking if they had made a decision. Yep, they sure did. And it wasn't me. The staff is 98% young females and I got the feeling that they didn't want an 'old guy' around. And life goes on.