Views: 1070, Replies: 5 » Jump to the end
Jan 30, 2017 12:55 PM CST
My name is Remi and i build glass and metal geodesic domes.
I'll post a few pictures with my first dome :
For the people that haven't heard much about geodesic domes, here are a few fun facts :
1. Domes are the strongest human shelter ever conceived. The even distribution of weight is how domes efficiently distribute stress along the entire structure.
2. They are the world's highest earthquake resistant structures. And they dont require any interior load bearing walls.
3. Domes are aerodynamic. They can withstand hurricane winds of even 320 km/h.
4. Domes are the most efficient structures known to man, covering the most living area with the least amount of surface area.
5. Because of the high volume-to-surface-area ratio domes have at least 30% less surface area than other shaped buildings. That means it takes at least 30% less energy to heat or cool them.
6. The spherical design results in highly efficient and effective air circulation. The ambient airflow inside the dome is continuous, with no stagnant corners, requiring less energy to circulate air and maintain even temperatures.
7. They mirror the suns path thus maximizing solar gain all day, all year.
8. Some of the largest buildings in the world are domes; London’s millennium dome and the Eden domes were record breakers when they were built. The Miyazaki Ocean Dome in Japan is known as the world's largest indoor water park (300m-100m-38m).
9. Domes use much less materials than conventional buildings and still outperform them in structural tests.
10. The larger the dome, the more efficient it becomes. This is demonstrated by doubling the diameter, which encloses eight times the volume.
I don't know if i'm allowed to post my website link, but if it's possible i would love to share more details, moderators please let me know.
Jan 30, 2017 3:13 PM CST
|Welcome to NGA, @remi12 !
I'm not a moderator, but I'm quite sure you would be welcome to post your info on the Classifieds and Group Buys forum: https://garden.org/forums/view...
Cubits.org - A Universe of Communities[/I] / Share your recipes: Favorite Recipes A-Z cubit
C/F temp conversion / NGA Member Map
Jan 31, 2017 1:18 AM CST
|Thanks Weedwhacker !
I will post my link there :)
Feb 12, 2017 8:55 AM CST
|I tried to post a link in the Classifieds but i got an error message that i'm a new member and i cant post external links, when will that restriction expire ? Thanks !
The link is for an image gallery of this glass greenhouse, so hopefully it shouldn't be considered spam
Apr 28, 2017 12:13 PM CST
|Hi @Remi12, I don't know if you've had an answer about this. Let's ask @DAVE.
I have a dome greenhouse on a windy hilltop, and it's been really good.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: The Landscape Doctor
Franklin, TN (Zone 6b)
Jul 13, 2017 8:28 AM CST
|These look fantastic, you did a great job on these domes.|
|« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Greenhouses forum