Site Talk forum: Thread about the pronunciation of 'Clematis'

Views: 439, Replies: 8 » Jump to the end
Name: Nora
Castlegar, B. C. Canada (Zone 5b)
Region: Canadian Cat Lover Salvias Xeriscape Roses Organic Gardener
Garden Photography Echinacea Butterflies Birds Irises Daylilies
HemNorth
Jan 30, 2017 7:25 PM CST
I was on the 'Main Plant Entry for Clematis' page, down in the Thread discussion section, had entered 12 different Threads, and was enjoying the discussion on pronunciations of Clematis. - (and going on to include Agastache and Peon). At one point a link was given, which I clicked on to, and it took me back to the entry page for this website, with no way of clicking on an arrow to get back to my original thread that I was following. This actually happened two other times today, where I hit a blue website in a thread, and I was back to the front page, with no access back to my Thread.

I wondered if these were time sensitive web addresses that were no longer available, but there was no indication given - - just back to the opening page here, and no record of where I'd come from. Any guesses as to what happened? - or how to search for that Clematis pronunciation Thread? I tried looking for it in the box: Search Garden.org, with no result.

Thank you for help for these perplexities!
Nora

Name: woofie
NE WA (Zone 5a)
Charter ATP Member Garden Procrastinator Greenhouse Dragonflies Plays in the sandbox I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
The WITWIT Badge I helped plan and beta test the plant database. Dog Lover Enjoys or suffers cold winters Container Gardener Seed Starter
woofie
Jan 30, 2017 7:53 PM CST
Well, here is the link to the discussion, but I have no idea why you couldn't go back to it. Notice that it's under "Ideas"
https://garden.org/ideas/view/...
Maybe this question should be moved to the Site Talk Forum?
Confidence is that feeling you have right before you do something really stupid.
HemNorth
Jan 30, 2017 8:32 PM CST
Woofie, Thank you Thank You! for finding it.

I had just found it through a fluke - I was browsing through Recently Tipped, and noticed that I had tipped Horntoad for the link to post #874947 in '2. Kle-MAT-is'. I was able to backtrack to grannysgarden's post.

Thank you for this direct link to the article.
I haven't a clue how to retrace my steps as to how I found this. You say it was in 'Ideas', but I'm not sure how I accessed it.

But Thank you. As to transferring this to the Site Talk Forum, I'm not sure how that would be done, or if it's needed.
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Sages Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Seed Starter Vegetable Grower
Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters Butterflies Birds
Weedwhacker
Jan 30, 2017 8:42 PM CST
LOL, just read through some of the discussion about the pronunciation of clematis and it was quite interesting!

Nora, is is possible that when you clicked on the link it opened a new "window" ? In that case you wouldn't be able to click an arrow to go back, but if you went back to the original window you would be where you wanted to be. I'm not sure this is true for all browsers, or maybe it's a setting that can be selected, but for me a new window opens with a separate tab at the top of the screen on my computer.
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer /
Cubits.org - A Universe of Communities[/I] / Share your recipes: Favorite Recipes A-Z cubit
C/F temp conversion / NGA Member Map
HemNorth
Jan 30, 2017 8:47 PM CST
Thank you Sandy - I will have to pay more attention. I'll also have to ask my son, when he is next here, to show me what my options are and where I went wrong.

I've never learned all the ins and outs of the desk computer.

Thanks for your cheery message! Smiling
Cheers, Nora
Name: woofie
NE WA (Zone 5a)
Charter ATP Member Garden Procrastinator Greenhouse Dragonflies Plays in the sandbox I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
The WITWIT Badge I helped plan and beta test the plant database. Dog Lover Enjoys or suffers cold winters Container Gardener Seed Starter
woofie
Jan 30, 2017 9:04 PM CST
You know, Sandy may very well be right. If I click on a link here, it opens in a new tab in my browser (usually). So if it's a new tab, there's nowhere to go back to. What browser are you using?
Confidence is that feeling you have right before you do something really stupid.
HemNorth
Jan 30, 2017 9:10 PM CST
Sorry, Sad I don't have a clue. My son has updated me to Windows 10, and I don't know much more that that.
I'll have to ask him the next time I see him.
Name: Suzanne/Sue
Sebastopol, CA (Zone 9a)
Sunset Zone 15
Plant Database Moderator Region: California Cottage Gardener Roses Irises Clematis
Garden Photography Keeper of Poultry Hummingbirder Bee Lover Butterflies Houseplants
Calif_Sue
Jan 30, 2017 9:18 PM CST

Plants Admin

All links here open in a separate window, a default setting. (see it in your Settings "Open external links in a new window?" default is Yes) Once you close that window, you are back on your originating browser window. Mine opens in a separate tab at the top so I can go back and forth between them (I currently have 14 tabs open, multi-tasking!) Green Grin!

I went through all those threads and only found one garden.org link that went straight to the home page and not the post it was intended to go to. That happens when the post was removed for whatever reason. Click it and you'll see it go to a new window or tab, close it and you are back here. Thumbs up

https://garden.org/thread/view...
My gardening Blog!
Hand sewn wares and vintage finds in my Etsy store. Summer Song Cottage
[Last edited by Calif_Sue - Jan 30, 2017 9:20 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1361606 (8)
HemNorth
Jan 30, 2017 9:46 PM CST
You found it! That one confused me. D'Oh!
Sorry you had to take time out to look for it, Sue. I tried it, and yes, that's where I got confused.

I do go back and forth a lot with the Tabs open, as you say, Sue. I get frustrated using an older name for a plant: eg. all my Red Robinson Photos were labelled Pyrethrum, so I had to google that name to find that now it is Tanacetum - and in some of those photos, I realized after that I had mentioned them being squeezed out by the rambunctious Aster novi belgii - - -which also now has a different name! So I move around in different sites to check that my photos and info are correct.

But I did find the Thread On Clematis that I was looking for, so that was good.

Thanks everybody for all your help. Group hug

Little by little, I learn more and more. A great way to grow, on an incredible Website of helpers.

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Site Talk forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Oriental Poppy Manhattan"