Views: 221, Replies: 2 » Jump to the end
Name: jackie horsley
Feb 20, 2017 1:29 PM CST
|I planted a crepe myrtle bush about two years ago it stands about three feet tall. now and iam wanting to move it to a different spot in my yard but being its been a mild winter this year its allreadly started to wake up. see we don,t usually have mild winter,s here in Oklahoma and because of that Iam kind of afraid to dig it up right now. so would it be ok to move the bush right now or should I go ahead and wait until spring.|
Name: Philip Becker
Fresno California (Zone 8a)
Feb 20, 2017 2:11 PM CST
|Better err. To the side of caution. 😬
Anything i say, could be misrepresented, or wrong.
Feb 20, 2017 2:31 PM CST
|Jackie, since you've missed out on moving it while it was dormant, the next best option would be to wait until fall.
The longer you wait now, the more growth will be happening, and the more damage you'll do. It's already growing, but slowly and we probably have a few more bouts of cold weather to contend with this winter before spring really arrives.
So if you can't wait until fall to move it, NOW is the time!! Get as big a root ball as you can handle, so as not to disturb too many of the roots, and dig your new planting hole before you dig up the plant so it can be out of the ground as short a time as possible. If you can shade it somehow during warm, sunny weather that will also help it to get back up to speed.
"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." –Winston Churchill
|« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum