Just thought I'd post some photos of my babies. Not as far along as Fred's since the seeds got planted late, then the seedlings potted and then planted. They are planted closer together than I wanted, but I had limited space. Next year I will have more room. I ended up with 530 seedlings; some are still in pots (384 in the bed and 146 in pots). If I really liked the cross and had some planted in the bed I just left the rest in pots. I did away with a lot of crosses because of lack of space. They were some that I really wasn't crazy about or they were just bonus seeds (I would have never actually bought) I got with seeds I purchased last year on the auction. Yea yea, I know, these probably were the best out of them all, but you got to get rid of them sometimes even if you don't really want to.
I will be putting in the pvc pipe to put the cross tags into like Fred has after we get some other things finished.
We are adding sprinklers to this area so here is the tool I am having to use, a pick axe. The ground back here is dark, mucky yet hard clay and has some type of rocks all in it and tree roots. James said there used to be nothing but oak trees in this area. A shovel just didn't cut it and we couldn't get the tractor in here with a trench digger so good ole elbow grease had to surfice.
Once we put all the pipes together and get it all covered back up we are going to lay down more of the black ground cover to help keep the grass and weeds in check. It's all worth it though to actually get to be doing something I really love. And no one can ever say I don't love daylilies because I sure have put in enough work to prove them otherwise
But I never could have done any of this without the help of great people like Kim, James, and Fred and the women behind the scenes, Kathleen and Laura.