Tropicals forum: Help with 30+ year old Ti Plant

Views: 610, Replies: 11 » Jump to the end
Name: Cat
Dayton, OH (Zone 5b)
Image
farSkies
Jun 11, 2017 8:36 PM CST
This is a Ti plant that my great grandmother got from Hawaii long before I was born, it's been around my whole life and has been passed down through the grapevine. It's been through some abuse, it's never really been watered regularly, or gotten a lot of sun, and I don't think it's ever been pruned, it needs some serious TLC. How can I do right by this plant and help it flourish? What do I need to do?

Thumb of 2017-06-12/farSkies/b75c89

Thumb of 2017-06-12/farSkies/26144d

Thumb of 2017-06-12/farSkies/ab93bb

Name: Hetty
Sunny Naples, Florida (Zone 10a)
Plumerias Photo Contest Winner: 2015 Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level Plant Database Moderator
Forum moderator Region: Florida Cat Lover Garden Sages Cactus and Succulents Tropicals
Image
Dutchlady1
Jun 12, 2017 6:18 PM CST
@ScotTi might be able to help. He is our local Ti expert!
Name: Scott
Tampa FL (Westchase)
Tropicals Region: Florida Enjoys or suffers hot summers Bromeliad Plumerias Dog Lover
Foliage Fan Orchids Cactus and Succulents
Image
ScotTi
Jun 12, 2017 7:02 PM CST
Welcome Cat!
I do not think the your Ti looks that bad. You are doing the right thing if you are giving it a vacation outside (not to much sun) for the summer there in Ohio. The brown tips on the leaves could be from salt build up in the pot and or from being grown inside in dry air. Misting the leaves daily when the plant is in for the winter will help.
Let's start here with a few questions.
When was the last time you changed out the potting soil? Do you fertilize? How dry do you let the soil become before watering? Do you normally put it outside for the summers?
[Last edited by ScotTi - Jun 12, 2017 7:07 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1472677 (3)
Name: Cat
Dayton, OH (Zone 5b)
Image
farSkies
Jun 12, 2017 9:23 PM CST
ScotTi said:Welcome Cat!
I do not think the your Ti looks that bad. You are doing the right thing if you are giving it a vacation outside (not to much sun) for the summer there in Ohio. The brown tips on the leaves could be from salt build up in the pot and or from being grown inside in dry air. Misting the leaves daily when the plant is in for the winter will help.
Let's start here with a few questions.
When was the last time you changed out the potting soil? Do you fertilize? How dry do you let the soil become before watering? Do you normally put it outside for the summers?


Thank you for the welcome and your advice! 💜

I just got the plant a few days ago from my grandpa, I'm pretty sure it's been YEARS since the potting soil has been changed, it's probably in the same soil it was originally planted in. They never fertilized it I don't think. It's never really been watered the way it should be and it's been grown indoors in very low light conditions.

At the moment it's outside because the weather is very warm, I plan on keeping it outside weather permitting, it's in a spot where it's getting good indirect sunlight and I've been misting it a few+ times a day and watering it every other day when the top soil seems dry. I'm going to be getting some liquid soluble fertilizer as well, someone said I should do that every 2 weeks? I also heard it should get half the recommended dose of fertilizer once a month, not sure which advice is best.

I've been told I need to get a bigger pot, repot it, let it grow a bit and then propagate it?

Also, I found out the factual story behind the plant, my mom got it when she was 9, about 44 years ago. I also found out this plant isn't the original plant, my mother has that, mine is a baby of the original. So this plant is more like 15-20 years old, and the soil is probably over a decade old.
[Last edited by farSkies - Jun 12, 2017 9:35 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1472823 (4)
Name: Scott
Tampa FL (Westchase)
Tropicals Region: Florida Enjoys or suffers hot summers Bromeliad Plumerias Dog Lover
Foliage Fan Orchids Cactus and Succulents
Image
ScotTi
Jun 13, 2017 2:32 AM CST
The pot size looks good from the photos. I would pull the plant out of the pot and see if it is root bound. If not root bound gently shake old potting soil from roots. If root bound take garden hose and wash away soil from outer root mass. I would also clean the pot using white vinegar with a rag to remove any salt build up. Rinse pot well after cleaning to remove vinegar. If pot fits in dishwasher rinse n dishwasher. Using a good quality potting soil replant in your current pot.
Important you always water your plant deeply until water runs out of the hole in the bottom of pot. Also of note Ti plants are susceptible to fluoride toxicity and a easy fix is water with collected rain water or distilled water. A liquid fert. 1/2 dose once a month should be fine.
Name: Cat
Dayton, OH (Zone 5b)
Image
farSkies
Jun 13, 2017 8:24 AM CST
ScotTi said: The pot size looks good from the photos. I would pull the plant out of the pot and see if it is root bound. If not root bound gently shake old potting soil from roots. If root bound take garden hose and wash away soil from outer root mass. I would also clean the pot using white vinegar with a rag to remove any salt build up. Rinse pot well after cleaning to remove vinegar. If pot fits in dishwasher rinse n dishwasher. Using a good quality potting soil replant in your current pot.
Important you always water your plant deeply until water runs out of the hole in the bottom of pot. Also of note Ti plants are susceptible to fluoride toxicity and a easy fix is water with collected rain water or distilled water. A liquid fert. 1/2 dose once a month should be fine.


I've been watering it with a spring water that doesn't contain fluoride, but I heard I can fill a container with tap water and let it sit for 24-48 hours, and then I can use the water for the plant, which is what I think I'm going to do. Would that be ok?

I'll be getting it a new pot soon, and a couple smaller ones for the babies. I've read online that I need soil that drains easily, does this potting soil have a name? Any fertilizer you recommend, or any I should stay away from? I know no solid fert with perlite as it can contain fluoride.

Thank you so much for your help! No one else would help me and I was running out of places to post. 💜💜 I'm sorry for being so clueless as well, I've never cared for a plant before, any plant, and am just now learning all of this stuff, so thank you again for your patience and your assistance. :)
Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Greenhouse Sempervivums Bromeliad
Adeniums Garden Ideas: Level 1 Tropicals Xeriscape Garden Art Plumerias
Image
plantmanager
Jun 13, 2017 9:05 AM CST
That is a very special plant, Cat, and I'm so glad you're learning to care for it properly. It won't be long and you'll be able to see it thank you for the TLC. Plants actually do that.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Scott
Tampa FL (Westchase)
Tropicals Region: Florida Enjoys or suffers hot summers Bromeliad Plumerias Dog Lover
Foliage Fan Orchids Cactus and Succulents
Image
ScotTi
Jun 13, 2017 12:29 PM CST
Cat, I use Miracle-Gro Organic Choice for the potting soil as it contains Spagnum Moss, Composted Bark and Pasteurized Poultry Litter. It will feed for the first two months and then I use Miracle-Gro at the 1/2 rate once a month. My Ti are outside plants only and I do not feed at all Nov-Feb.
If you would like to practice at rooting before cutting your special plant let me know as I will send you a few cuttings. They are easy in water or soil this time of the year.


Thumb of 2017-06-13/ScotTi/40bf64

[Last edited by ScotTi - Jun 13, 2017 12:40 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1473313 (8)
Name: Cat
Dayton, OH (Zone 5b)
Image
farSkies
Jun 13, 2017 1:34 PM CST
ScotTi said: Cat, I use Miracle-Gro Organic Choice for the potting soil as it contains Spagnum Moss, Composted Bark and Pasteurized Poultry Litter. It will feed for the first two months and then I use Miracle-Gro at the 1/2 rate once a month. My Ti are outside plants only and I do not feed at all Nov-Feb.
If you would like to practice at rooting before cutting your special plant let me know as I will send you a few cuttings. They are easy in water or soil this time of the year.


Thumb of 2017-06-13/ScotTi/40bf64



Thank you so much, you've been such a huge help! Some cuttings would be perfect, do you have a Facebook? I can send you my mailing address there.
Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Greenhouse Sempervivums Bromeliad
Adeniums Garden Ideas: Level 1 Tropicals Xeriscape Garden Art Plumerias
Image
plantmanager
Jun 13, 2017 2:02 PM CST
There's no need to go to FB. You can just click on Scot's profile photo and send him a private t mail right here on the site.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Cat
Dayton, OH (Zone 5b)
Image
farSkies
Jun 13, 2017 2:42 PM CST
plantmanager said:There's no need to go to FB. You can just click on Scot's profile photo and send him a private t mail right here on the site.


Just found the button, thank you! Sorry, I'm on my mobile and it's clunky. :)
Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Greenhouse Sempervivums Bromeliad
Adeniums Garden Ideas: Level 1 Tropicals Xeriscape Garden Art Plumerias
Image
plantmanager
Jun 16, 2017 2:48 PM CST
Yes, it's much harder on the phone. Glad you found it!
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Tropicals forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"