Irises forum: Looking for a true sky blue iris....

Page 1 of 2 • 1 2
Views: 1534, Replies: 36 » Jump to the end
Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 7, 2017 2:10 PM CST
I've been looking for a true sky blue iris for many years. Now I realize my idea of true sky blue may vary from what others consider sky blue but what I'm looking for is the color that I have seen on photos of the small iris, Karen Jones. Most blues have a slight purple tint to them but I'm looking for one that has a small tinge of green in it rather than purple. I've been wanting to find a hybridizer who would work on this but I guess if that color was possible someone would probably come up with it already. Any ideas?

Also is the second photo of an iris for real or has the color been altered?
Thumb of 2017-08-07/SherriRaye/b998a5


Thumb of 2017-08-07/SherriRaye/35b95f

Name: Lynn
Dallas, OR (Zone 8b)
Charter ATP Member Garden Sages I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I helped beta test the Garden Planting Calendar I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator
Forum moderator I helped beta test the first seed swap Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant and/or Seed Trader Garden Ideas: Master Level
Image
valleylynn
Aug 7, 2017 2:19 PM CST
Hi Sherri. I looks altered to me. But if it real I wouldn't mind having that one.
@KentPfeiffer should be able to answer your question.
Name: Kent Pfeiffer
Southeast Nebraska (Zone 5b)
Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator Plant Identifier Region: Nebraska Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Forum moderator Garden Sages Garden Ideas: Master Level Irises Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Image
KentPfeiffer
Aug 7, 2017 2:57 PM CST

Moderator

The second picture has been altered, in a very big way. There's no iris even close to that color in real life.

Donald Spoon, a hybridizer from Virginia, has been working towards blue-green iris for quite some time. But, as you guessed, it's not an easy thing to do. As best as I can remember, most of his success to this point has been with Standard Dwarf Bearded Irises
Name: Lynn
Dallas, OR (Zone 8b)
Charter ATP Member Garden Sages I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I helped beta test the Garden Planting Calendar I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator
Forum moderator I helped beta test the first seed swap Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant and/or Seed Trader Garden Ideas: Master Level
Image
valleylynn
Aug 7, 2017 3:33 PM CST
Thank you for the information Kent.
Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 7, 2017 4:01 PM CST
KentPfeiffer said:The second picture has been altered, in a very big way. There's no iris even close to that color in real life.

Donald Spoon, a hybridizer from Virginia, has been working towards blue-green iris for quite some time. But, as you guessed, it's not an easy thing to do. As best as I can remember, most of his success to this point has been with Standard Dwarf Bearded Irises


Thank you for the help. If a person wants to make blue green you would add yellow to blue, but since all the blue irises have purple in them, which is the complement color to yellow, I would guess that most irises of that combination would come out a grayish color.
Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 7, 2017 4:02 PM CST
SherriRaye said:

Thank you for the help. If a person wants to make blue green you would add yellow to blue, but since all the blue irises have purple in them, which is the complement color to yellow, I would guess that most irises of that combination would come out a grayish color.


Name: Barbara
Northern CA (Zone 9a)
Region: California Cat Lover Irises Enjoys or suffers hot summers Dog Lover
Image
iciris
Aug 7, 2017 8:18 PM CST
The color depicted in the pictures (in the database) that I took of Karen Jones was true to the color on the iris.
• “Whoever said, ‘Do something right and you won’t have to do it again’ never weeded a garden.” – Anonymous
Name: Tom
Southern Wisconsin (Zone 5b)
Irises Vegetable Grower Butterflies Region: Wisconsin Keeps Horses Cat Lover
Dog Lover Keeper of Poultry Daylilies Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
tveguy3
Aug 8, 2017 4:08 AM CST
SherriRaye said:I've been looking for a true sky blue iris for many years. Now I realize my idea of true sky blue may vary from what others consider sky blue but what I'm looking for is the color that I have seen on photos of the small iris, Karen Jones. Most blues have a slight purple tint to them but I'm looking for one that has a small tinge of green in it rather than purple. I've been wanting to find a hybridizer who would work on this but I guess if that color was possible someone would probably come up with it already. Any ideas?

Also is the second photo of an iris for real or has the color been altered?
Thumb of 2017-08-07/SherriRaye/b998a5


Thumb of 2017-08-07/SherriRaye/35b95f



That last photshopped picture has been around the block a time or two, seems like it shows up on here at least once a year since I've been a member. Brad had a couple seedlings that had some turquoise color in them a while back, but I don't know if any of them survived his disaster.
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. - Alexander the Great
Name: Lilli
Copenhagen, Denmark, EU
Irises Roses Bulbs Hellebores Foliage Fan Cottage Gardener
Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Seed Starter Winter Sowing Bee Lover Dog Lover Region: Europe
Image
IrisLilli
Aug 8, 2017 8:17 AM CST
I remember us discussing this not too long ago and someone mentioned

(Black 1989)

I have SDB Cold River (Black 2000) and it is supposed to be a blue/green blend, but it is new in my garden, so I haven't seen it bloom yet.
Pictures of it in the AIS database: http://wiki.irises.org/Sdb/Sdb...
You don't know if it will grow until you try!
[Last edited by IrisLilli - Aug 8, 2017 8:18 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1523025 (9)
Name: Barbara
Northern CA (Zone 9a)
Region: California Cat Lover Irises Enjoys or suffers hot summers Dog Lover
Image
iciris
Aug 8, 2017 8:19 AM CST
I wish Brad (and Paul) would start posting their pictures again. I enjoyed and learned so much from their posts on hybridizing. I tip my hat to you.
• “Whoever said, ‘Do something right and you won’t have to do it again’ never weeded a garden.” – Anonymous
Name: Bonnie Sojourner
Harris Brake Lake, Arkansas (Zone 7a)
Magnolia zone
Region: United States of America Region: Arkansas Master Gardener: Arkansas Irises Plant and/or Seed Trader Moon Gardener
Garden Ideas: Master Level Dragonflies Bulbs Garden Art Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Gardens in Buckets
Image
grannysgarden
Aug 8, 2017 11:10 AM CST
Cold River looks beautiful, Lilli. I hope to see your photos next spring.
Who plants a seed beneath the sod and waits for growth believes in God. ~~Unknown
Name: Leslie
Durham, NC (Zone 8a)
Region: North Carolina Irises Cat Lover Garden Photography Enjoys or suffers hot summers Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Lestv
Aug 8, 2017 12:38 PM CST
Sherri - are you looking for a sky blue that is all blue or just the falls? There are several dwarfs that are a turquoise color, but I think most have white standards. Don Spoon's Larry's Blue is all blue - http://winterberryirises.com/y...

but might not be the exact color you wanted. No purple in this one though!
My road calls me, lures me west, east, south & north; most roads lead men homewards, my road leads me forth. - John Masefield
Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 8, 2017 1:47 PM CST
iciris said:The color depicted in the pictures (in the database) that I took of Karen Jones was true to the color on the iris.

The blue on Karen Jones is what I'm looking for. That's a great photo by the way. I'll get that although I was looking for a bigger iris.

Thank you.

Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 8, 2017 2:13 PM CST
Lestv said:Sherri - are you looking for a sky blue that is all blue or just the falls? There are several dwarfs that are a turquoise color, but I think most have white standards. Don Spoon's Larry's Blue is all blue - http://winterberryirises.com/y...

but might not be the exact color you wanted. No purple in this one though!


Leslie....that's the exact color I'm looking for if the photo is accurate. I'll see if I can order it. Do you know if it is for sale? It seems if they can come up with that blue in the SDB that eventually someone will have success with the tall beardeds.

Name: Leslie
Durham, NC (Zone 8a)
Region: North Carolina Irises Cat Lover Garden Photography Enjoys or suffers hot summers Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Lestv
Aug 8, 2017 2:23 PM CST
They say they take orders until October! You can ask them too if Don has any larger sky blue iris he is working on.

Winterberry: http://www.winterberryirises.c...
My road calls me, lures me west, east, south & north; most roads lead men homewards, my road leads me forth. - John Masefield
Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 9, 2017 10:37 AM CST
KentPfeiffer said:The second picture has been altered, in a very big way. There's no iris even close to that color in real life.

Donald Spoon, a hybridizer from Virginia, has been working towards blue-green iris for quite some time. But, as you guessed, it's not an easy thing to do. As best as I can remember, most of his success to this point has been with Standard Dwarf Bearded Irises


I had an opportunity to speak with Don Spoon yesterday - what an interesting individual! He seems to be making progress with a TB sky blue iris and is closer to coming up with a true red one as well. Thank you for telling me about him.
Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 9, 2017 10:46 AM CST
Lestv said:They say they take orders until October! You can ask them too if Don has any larger sky blue iris he is working on.

Winterberry: http://www.winterberryirises.c...


As I stated in a follow-up to Kent, I had a chance to speak with Don yesterday and he was a great help. He said that TB Iris "Procrastinator" is a probably as close to what I'm looking for as is available at this time.

Thank you, Leslie, for giving me the winterberryirises website information. I phoned them and Don answered the call. He's a very interesting person to talk to about irises.
Name: Leslie
Durham, NC (Zone 8a)
Region: North Carolina Irises Cat Lover Garden Photography Enjoys or suffers hot summers Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Lestv
Aug 9, 2017 1:38 PM CST
Ginny is a great too. They have a passion for their work which is nice to see.
My road calls me, lures me west, east, south & north; most roads lead men homewards, my road leads me forth. - John Masefield
Name: Sherri Page
Granite Falls, WA (Zone 7b)
Irises Bookworm Clematis Dragonflies Butterflies Garden Art
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Hummingbirder Birds Region: Pacific Northwest Bee Lover Garden Photography
Image
SherriRaye
Aug 10, 2017 7:26 PM CST
Lestv said:Ginny is a great too. They have a passion for their work which is nice to see.


Don was trying to convince me to start hybridizing because he loves their work so much and wants everyone to be able to share enjoyment.

I spoke to Ginny today. They are both very nice and love to talk about their irises. I ended up ordering SDB Karen Jones, SDB Larry's Blue, TB Procrastinator and TB Red Lace Petticoat. I'll share photos when they bloom next spring. Thanks, Leslie, and to everyone with their great suggestions.

Name: Evelyn
Northern CA Sierra foothills - (Zone 8a)
Region: United States of America Region: California Annuals Bulbs Butterflies Cat Lover
Foliage Fan Irises Organic Gardener Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Vegetable Grower
Image
evelyninthegarden
Aug 27, 2017 7:04 PM CST
IrisLilli said:I remember us discussing this not too long ago and someone mentioned

(Black 1989)

I have SDB Cold River (Black 2000) and it is supposed to be a blue/green blend, but it is new in my garden, so I haven't seen it bloom yet.
Pictures of it in the AIS database: http://wiki.irises.org/Sdb/Sdb...


Honestly, I think that is a far cry from turquoise, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 • 1 2

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Irises forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"