Ask a Question forum: My tomato plant's main branch is nearly broken.

Views: 553, Replies: 11 » Jump to the end
United Kingdom.
endergirl1000gmail
Aug 18, 2017 6:58 AM CST
My tomato plants branch is brown and has a opening to it, also it's fallen down Sad can I establish new roots while it has fruits?
Thumb of 2017-08-18/endergirl1000gmail/068020
Will this effect the main plant as well? Will the fruit even grow?????!!! Please answer this thread quickly cause I'm really worried. It won't get up
Thumb of 2017-08-18/endergirl1000gmail/e489d7

Ok so the plant broke and this is what I did, should I put it in direct sunlight?
Thumb of 2017-08-18/endergirl1000gmail/c935e6

Could the light be better for it :(
Thumb of 2017-08-18/endergirl1000gmail/b5b8dc


Thumb of 2017-08-18/endergirl1000gmail/f87845
[Last edited by endergirl1000gmail - Aug 18, 2017 7:31 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1530479 (1)
United Kingdom.
endergirl1000gmail
Aug 18, 2017 7:24 AM CST
Sighing!
Name: Michelle
Pleasant Lake MI (Zone 6a)
Region: Michigan Canning and food preservation Keeper of Poultry Herbs Organic Gardener Butterflies
Garden Ideas: Level 1
Image
Mizshelli
Aug 18, 2017 7:36 AM CST
The water jar might be enough to keep it growing. I had the same thing happen to me and I tried to get roots from burying it in soil but it didn't work. You might just want to keep it in the jar for the rest of the season instead of trying to plant it. I think you may have better luck keeping the tomatoes.
Is treise an dúchas ná an oiliúint.
(Nature is stronger than nurture)
https://mmhobbyfarm49272.wixsi...
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Daylilies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Native Plants and Wildflowers Butterflies Annuals
Region: Canadian Keeps Horses Dog Lover Plant Identifier Garden Sages
Image
sooby
Aug 18, 2017 7:42 AM CST
Keep it in the shade until it has rooted enough to pot. It's a little on the big side but they do root easily in water. I had a smaller branch broken off and did the same thing, was able to pot it after it had grown new roots, and then planted it in the ground once it was established in the pot. It now has tomatoes on it - it happened earlier than yours has. Make sure you have cut the brown off at the base, if it's still there, and you will need to give it a lot of top support once potted because the top will be too big for the root system for some time. There are no guarantees but there's nothing to lose by trying.
United Kingdom.
endergirl1000gmail
Aug 18, 2017 8:10 AM CST
Mizshelli said:The water jar might be enough to keep it growing. I had the same thing happen to me and I tried to get roots from burying it in soil but it didn't work. You might just want to keep it in the jar for the rest of the season instead of trying to plant it. I think you may have better luck keeping the tomatoes.


Thanks a lot but it's wilting? So is this a bad thing also autumn is near so could it heal before that? Thank You!
United Kingdom.
endergirl1000gmail
Aug 18, 2017 8:10 AM CST
sooby said:Keep it in the shade until it has rooted enough to pot. It's a little on the big side but they do root easily in water. I had a smaller branch broken off and did the same thing, was able to pot it after it had grown new roots, and then planted it in the ground once it was established in the pot. It now has tomatoes on it - it happened earlier than yours has. Make sure you have cut the brown off at the base, if it's still there, and you will need to give it a lot of top support once potted because the top will be too big for the root system for some time. There are no guarantees but there's nothing to lose by trying.


Thanks you Hurray! but will the plant die? Is there a chance?
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Daylilies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Native Plants and Wildflowers Butterflies Annuals
Region: Canadian Keeps Horses Dog Lover Plant Identifier Garden Sages
Image
sooby
Aug 18, 2017 9:53 AM CST
endergirl1000gmail said:

Thanks you Hurray! but will the plant die? Is there a chance?


Because of the size of it, it may be a difficult transition. Tomato plants can form what are called "adventitious roots" along the stem, so it will probably have some roots in about a week. Whether it will have enough roots to support the top enough for potting at this late stage in the year I don't know. If the base is brown you do need to cut that off so that the green can take up water. That it's wilting isn't a good sign, it needs to be in the shade and out of the wind.

United Kingdom.
endergirl1000gmail
Aug 24, 2017 10:02 AM CST
sooby said:

Because of the size of it, it may be a difficult transition. Tomato plants can form what are called "adventitious roots" along the stem, so it will probably have some roots in about a week. Whether it will have enough roots to support the top enough for potting at this late stage in the year I don't know. If the base is brown you do need to cut that off so that the green can take up water. That it's wilting isn't a good sign, it needs to be in the shade and out of the wind.



Help help!!!!! It's out of the wind and in the shade but the plant it's not developing roots :((( the leaves turned brown and my friend told me cut the leaves off
Thumb of 2017-08-24/endergirl1000gmail/5c0b22
Please answer quickly also it has little openings for roots and it has been two weeks thanks btw!!!! Smiling

Thumb of 2017-08-24/endergirl1000gmail/60f588

Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Daylilies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Native Plants and Wildflowers Butterflies Annuals
Region: Canadian Keeps Horses Dog Lover Plant Identifier Garden Sages
Image
sooby
Aug 24, 2017 2:18 PM CST
The part that is in the water doesn't look very healthy, did you cut the brown base off? At this point you might be better just saving the fruit that is on it and large enough that it will turn red off the plant.
United Kingdom.
endergirl1000gmail
Aug 25, 2017 3:05 PM CST
sooby said:The part that is in the water doesn't look very healthy, did you cut the brown base off? At this point you might be better just saving the fruit that is on it and large enough that it will turn red off the plant.


If I cut it any lower the branch will snap but will it work? and thanks again dude! Thumbs up
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Daylilies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Native Plants and Wildflowers Butterflies Annuals
Region: Canadian Keeps Horses Dog Lover Plant Identifier Garden Sages
Image
sooby
Aug 25, 2017 3:46 PM CST
I'm not sure why the branch would snap but if the base of the stem is rotting or otherwise deteriorated the branch will not be able to take up water and survive long enough to root.
Name: Yardenman
Maryland (Zone 7a)
Image
Yardenman
Aug 31, 2017 3:06 AM CST
And it is too late in the year to establish a new tomato plant from cuttings to mature fruit anyway...

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "A Transition "