Views: 225, Replies: 1 » Jump to the end

Sep 20, 2017 8:45 PM CST
Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm in NJ, second one of these weird looking things I've seen. It is very small, but weird driver looking thing on the end.....

Nervous because new baby in house.
Hope you can put mind at ease and thank you for your help!

Thumb of 2017-09-21/Jsales25/340f37

Name: June
Rosemont, Ont. (Zone 4a)
Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge) Beavers Region: Canadian Dragonflies Butterflies Cactus and Succulents
Birds Cat Lover Native Plants and Wildflowers Deer Garden Ideas: Level 1
Oct 1, 2017 8:42 AM CST
Hi @Jsales25

I believe it is an ichneumon wasp. The "stinger" at the end is actually an ovipositor that the female wasp uses to lay eggs. Ichneumon wasps are often used for pest control in greenhouses, because they parasitize the larvae of insects that feed on plants. Not only is your baby safe with these in the house, but your house plants have protection!

« Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Insect and Bug ID forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Adenium Obesum"